WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my 6167A for nearly a year now. (Purchased new.) When I'm not wearing it, it sits in a winding box. Sometimes over night. Sometimes for a few days. More often than not, when I go back into the winding box I find that it's stopped. Until recently, I've shrugged it off, figuring that maybe the box isn't rotating enough to keep it going.

But, when I pull the watch and wind it: (i) it takes a while - I'd estimate at least 30 seconds - to get going; (ii) then it may not stay going; and (iii) for the first half hour or so that I'm wearing it, I notice that it stops and starts. My initial reaction is that maybe I'm just not hand winding it enough. I've not experienced similar issues w/ any of my other high end watches - AP, Breguet, Rolex, VC. So it's kind of frustrating me.

Any thoughts/similar experiences? Do 1 year old stopped PPs w/ "simple" movements require a lot of handwinding? Or does this sound unusual and should I run it in for service?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tough one. You may want to take it back to your AD, or call HSWA in New York to discuss with them.

I've owned my 6167A for nearly a year now. (Purchased new.) When I'm not wearing it, it sits in a winding box. Sometimes over night. Sometimes for a few days. More often than not, when I go back into the winding box I find that it's stopped. Until recently, I've shrugged it off, figuring that maybe the box isn't rotating enough to keep it going.

But, when I pull the watch and wind it: (i) it takes a while - I'd estimate at least 30 seconds - to get going; (ii) then it may not stay going; and (iii) for the first half hour or so that I'm wearing it, I notice that it stops and starts. My initial reaction is that maybe I'm just not hand winding it enough. I've not experienced similar issues w/ any of my other high end watches - AP, Breguet, Rolex, VC. So it's kind of frustrating me.

Any thoughts/similar experiences? Do 1 year old stopped PPs w/ "simple" movements require a lot of handwinding? Or does this sound unusual and should I run it in for service?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
63 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I own a Patek with the same movement. I believe you have a 324SC in your 5167A.
If I do not wear my watch for 2 days it indeed stops. I do not own a watch winder
however I wear it everyday. If I dont wear it for a day I manually wind it about 10 rotations using
the crown.

Im not a big fan of watch winders. some ive heard dont really work all that well.
Best bet is to manually wind it every day about 10 times. If it stops use the crown to
wind it as opposed to shaking it and letting the rotor spin. Ive heard that it put alot of
stress on the movement as opposed to winding it from the crown.

In your case their is no reason why the watch would stop and then start again like your explaining
Even a simple rotation of the crown would keep the watch going for a good few hours
I would have it looked at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How has it been resolved?

Thanks in advance.
Looks like I began to experience very same issue with my 5167A after 1 year. Has it been resolved, if yes, then how?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to take the watch back to the dealer. They, in turn, sent it back to PP. It was gone approx. 8 weeks. It came back w/ a PP service plastic seal over the case, investigated/repaired, covered under warranty and fully operational. I asked what the issue was and the response was something along the lines of "When work is completed under warranty, PP does not tell us what work they do." Watch has worked fine since. Was a bummer though - having to send it back w/in the first year...

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Was a bummer though - having to send it back w/in the first year...
I agree it is disappointing to have to repair something, especially something as 'high-end' as a Patek Philippe inside the 1st year. But anything man made can fail even with the best of quality controls. As they say, even Rolls Royce has a service center. :wink: Glad to hear they got you taken care of though... :thumbup1:

Just curious, why did you take it to your dealer instead of dealing directly with HSWA since you're in NY? Of course the dealers purpose is to help you with after sales support, but taking the watch directly to HSWA instead of to your dealer who in turn would (probably) still need to ship the watch in could have saved you a week or two in servicing, possibly. I realize NYC is the size of a small state, so maybe it's just really inconvenient to have taken it in, but just wondering...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to take the watch back to the dealer. They, in turn, sent it back to PP. It was gone approx. 8 weeks. It came back w/ a PP service plastic seal over the case, investigated/repaired, covered under warranty and fully operational. I asked what the issue was and the response was something along the lines of "When work is completed under warranty, PP does not tell us what work they do." Watch has worked fine since. Was a bummer though - having to send it back w/in the first year...
Thanks a lot! Probably I need to send mine to PP. It has stopped tonight again :( It's still under warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts