WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to gauge interest in this watch or for that matter any of the Cobalt M series. After much deliberation, I am sad to say that I cancelled my order for the M54 Bronze. Instead I am applying my deposit on the M Cobalt. I am not sure bronze is a fad or not but I certainly got caught up in it. I was one of the early pre-orders for the M Bronze but all the delays and hoopla surrounding this watch led me to order another bronze beauty which I should be getting in a few days. Give credit to Chris for being a perfectionist and for doing the right thing by delaying production of the M bronze series. I am excited about cobalt. My M27 GMT Tungsten is part of my daily beater rotation and damn it still looks brand new. If I made the M54 Bronze my daily beater not only would it get a nice patina but it would also be scratched and dinged up. Bronze is definitely softer than SS; More care is needed to prevent scratching. The M65 Cobalt should wear well with a similar scratch resistance of wolfram. I am looking forward to the sandwich dial and anti-glare coating that was discussed in another thread. My wedding ring is gold/platinum and if cobalt looks like platinum it will be unique and different. I am not familiar with any other watch manufacturer out there using chromium cobalt. For those who don't have a platinum ring go to home depot and look at some chromium tools. It's a white stainless steel color that shines consistently.

To satisfy my over due bronze desire I picked up an Aquadive Brown Bronze BS 100 (sold out now). Hope this watch will satisfy my bronze appetite. Any aquadive owners out there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thought I'd chime in here...

I'm on the edge of my seat for this new cobalt series. I was really on the fence between the M65 and M66. I really like the unique orange/yellow lume, and I figured it would look good with my spare orange isofrane... but I wanted something a bit more understated, and I was drawn to the grey dial of the M66, since I have a bunch of watches with black dials. It was THIS close though, and sometimes I wonder if I made the right call. It might haunt me once the photos of the dials start to come out. If the voices of regret in my head are too loud, I'll have to switch my pre-order to the M65.

I am also a big fan of the Aquadive BS100. I picked one up this winter in stainless steel and it's really beautiful. I managed to get one with a sapphire lumed bezel, which really puts it over the top. The lume on it is pretty strong and outshines my daily beater (a XW Tsunami) easily.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yojimbo,

Hat Can't go wrong with the M66. I went through the exact same process as you but looking at my collection I decided I needed more color. I have a Doxa 300T chrono with an orange isofrane and I got loads of compliments. Color is ok for a daily wearer. It sounds like you have plenty of black face watches. Change your order. An orange iso would make that combo da bomb. I love the sapphire bezel on it and want to know how the h--- you got that on your aquadive! My incoming bronze comes with a ceramic bezel.

Anyone else getting a cobalt vs M bronze?

Can anyone enlighten as to which movement is superior I.e. SII VS MIYOTA 9015 in the bronze vs cobalt?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Most people consider the 9015 better, if for nothing other than the 28K beat vs the 21k in the SII. I have both in various watches & have no problem with owning either; if given a choice, I'd take the 9015 but it wouldn't be a deal breaker with the Sii. My $.02

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info heilong.

In addition to the Cobalt did you order an M Bronze?
I've never owned a bronze watch. I love the idea of the patina process but I am not so enamored with the hardness of bronze. It seems like it would pick up dents and scratches very easily which I have on many of my 316L SS watches. SS is supposedly much harder than bronze. In that regard, using bronze may not be the best idea for a daily wearer unless of course you think dings and dents add character to your watch.

Most people consider the 9015 better, if for nothing other than the 28K beat vs the 21k in the SII. I have both in various watches & have no problem with owning either; if given a choice, I'd take the 9015 but it wouldn't be a deal breaker with the Sii. My $.02

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
In that regard, using bronze may not be the best idea for a daily wearer unless of course you think dings and dents add character to your watch.
To me personally I don't particularly like bronze when it's new and perfect much preferring it to be dirty with the look of a long, hard life usage about it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thought I'd chime in here...

I'm on the edge of my seat for this new cobalt series. I was really on the fence between the M65 and M66. I really like the unique orange/yellow lume, and I figured it would look good with my spare orange isofrane... but I wanted something a bit more understated, and I was drawn to the grey dial of the M66, since I have a bunch of watches with black dials. It was THIS close though, and sometimes I wonder if I made the right call. It might haunt me once the photos of the dials start to come out. If the voices of regret in my head are too loud, I'll have to switch my pre-order to the M65.

I am also a big fan of the Aquadive BS100. I picked one up this winter in stainless steel and it's really beautiful. I managed to get one with a sapphire lumed bezel, which really puts it over the top. The lume on it is pretty strong and outshines my daily beater (a XW Tsunami) easily.
I thought the M66 had the black light absorbing dial as well?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Doc:
I didn't order an M bronze, but I did order a bronzebat. Also, still....*sigh*...waiting on my Olivier. And, while bronze is softer than steel; I think if care is taken, it can stay ding-free for years. I'm not gonna use mine as a daily beater. If any watch could stand up to daily thrashing, it'll be the cobalt.

"I thought the M66 had the black light absorbing dial as well? "
If you look at the M65/65XL, you can see how much blacker the dial is. As I recall, Chris said that model is the one w/ the light-absorb dial. If you check the cobalt 2013 preview thread, check posts #40 & 41 (the #3 refers to the pics on the top of the first page).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought the M66 had the black light absorbing dial as well?
hi pm1980, I guess I mis-spoke when I said the M66 had a grey dial. I dunno what color it'll end up being exactly, but from the mock-ups you can definitely tell there's a difference between the blackness of the M65 and M66 dials, the M65 being a darker black.

DrAnesthesiaTX, I just got lucky with the BS100. The sapphire lumed bezel was a very limited run, to my knowledge, and I just happened to find on the sales forum. As far as bronze goes, I like 'em, but don't think the patina process is very attractive. If I ever got one, I'd try to keep it looking the same as new - though, i dunno if it's even possible to prevent it from patina-ing.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I have a bronze diver and watching itr slowly get patina, but I think a few dings adds to it if you enjoy the patina as part of the watch and don't keep buffing it up. Love the look of the new bronzebat, but have my bronze fix. Love the new cobalt but have my tungsten. Waiting for a new supercombat, that will do me in for sure!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bronze satisfier

Just arrived: Aquadive Bronze BS100
Polish: Dremel cloth wheel and Eagle 1 Nano polish (purchased from any autoshop)
Restored to original condition.
Time spent 15 min.
Goal: Satisfy bronze craving (hopefully wont live to regret it but canceled Jan 2012 pre-order of M54 Bronze)

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Megalo,

You are right; That nano polish works real well; it's hard to capture the correct color on an iphone camera but I can tell you it looks like white gold. My wife thought I bought a gold watch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.