WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a reportedly vintage Croton Aquamatic. Did some research, and found out that the company that calls itself Croton today is different from the old manufacturer. In any case, they were no help...Wondering if anyone knows how to date a Croton, or knows of any resource such as a serial number range or lookup...Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi Alraebuck and welcome to the forum.

The older watches made by the Croton company back in the day were a decent watch although they do not hold much value today. I did have one but have since moved it on and as far as I know there is no serial number database for them. I would suggest getting the caseback opened and find out what movement is inside and enter the number into the search box of Roland Ranffts archive bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements maybe this will give you a general era of when the watch was made, hopefully you will get maybe a decade in which the watch was released.

I know CometHunter who moderates the beginners forum also has a Croton watch and maybe he will be able to add some further info.

Below is a pic of the one that I owned which had an eta movement in it and was from approx 1960, any chance of you taking a couple of snaps of yours, we all love pics here :thumbup1:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Much obliged for the info!

Croton Aquamatic.JPG I'm a new kid at all of this; just discovering my watch fetish...lol...I am about to receive a tool in the mail to help me open up the back of my screwback watches, so once I have that I'll post a pic. Many thanks for the great info about the movement database; priceless info to me as a new enthusiast!

Eventually, I want to work my way up to being able to do basic service/cleaning/repair on watches, with an eye on restoring eBay finds. Not for resale, but for fun.

For now, if you'd like to take a look at the Croton, I have it in my album of watches in my (small!) collection.

Thanks again!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Forget CometHunter-he's no help at all!

Oh, wait...that's me!
While technically I own a Croton...

it's a really inexpensive ($75) quartz I got at the Burlington Coat Factory long before I really started knowing about watches. The only reason I still have it around is that no one else would want it! My apologies, but I really don't know how to help out on this one. :sad:

Reactions: Alraebuck

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
HI AND WELCOME

Like CometHunter, I'm no help either, but I will say I have an old Croton as well and it is a pretty good watch:001_smile:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My wife's Croton Date Adjust homage was stolen and I looked forever for a replacement. It was distinctive with a faceted crystal in all SS and had a Swiss automatic movement made sometime in the '60s. The good people at Croton couldn't even identify the watch and bless them, they did try.
I must agree with Richard-. I use Roland Ranffts database often to establish a date range for a particular watch. A good macro of the movement may provide some clues to help narrow your search.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all...

For the kind welccome and comments! I look forward to pestering you all with more questions as I try to become a watch afficionado, like yourselves! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts