WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Tool Bumper Automotive exterior Scaled reptile
Wood Tool Scaled reptile Artifact Art

Anyone have an idea what this is? I’ve been scouring the internet and eBay and can’t figure out what it is … don’t just want to toss it! Thx!

·
Administrator
6,330 Posts
Clearly it can be used for scribing 2 parallel lines but I've no idea where it might be used in watch / clock making.

·
Super Moderator
16,079 Posts
My guess is, it's used to measure the ambihelical hex nuts used on tricotometric indicator supports?
But seriously, I'd love to know the answer myself! This is the first one I've ever seen!
BTW. . . about how big is it?

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Areyou sure its not a home made wristwatch case opener. ????
That's kind of what I was thinking. Back in the day a lot of clocks and other mechanical instruments used nuts that were basically buttons with two holes to allow a spanner wrench to be used. This looks like an adjustable spanner wrench.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's kind of what I was thinking. Back in the day a lot of clocks and other mechanical instruments used nuts that were basically buttons with two holes to allow a spanner wrench to be used. This looks like an adjustable spanner wrench.
Areyou sure its not a home made wristwatch case opener. ????
That could be exactly what it is!!! And why I cannot find one like it anywhere... my Dad started his work back in the 40's and didn't have much money for tools, etc., and was quite the guy who could improvise anything so he probably made what he needed! I kept thinking a watch case opener. The bottoms of the silver tips that are adjustable are also filed down to a point which together could hold a case well.

Thank you all for your replies ... just makes me appreciate (and miss) him more than ever...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had one for a number of years and that is what I have always used it for. it is not very convenient as the two ends move inwards in use. But there again, it does have two types of 'pin' to insert in the spaces on the watch back

1 - 12 of 12 Posts