WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
"A new battery was installed and the movement examined by a reputable watchmaker familiar with Accutrons." :lol: I'm sure it was... that battery was crammed in, didn't work and he said ++++ these stupid american things. I have no idea what I'm doing. $180 thanks for the service! My experience.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm kind of intrigued by the M4, I didn't know they made Alphas that late. They sure didn't make them with that gold colored movement, Good catch !
That's what I thought. I'm not up on the Alphas, were they only available as solid gold or were they available as GF or plate as well? I have seen so many backs swapped over the years, I would be leary of buying anything marked as gold rather than gold filled. I have seen the 14k backs up for sale on Ebay before. An unscrupulous seller could sell a case for scrap gold, swap a back onto a GF one and sell as "solid gold".

I had kept a list of case styles and part numbers I acquired over the years (comparing to a number of the souces out there) and confirming originality (correctness) of backs to cases and I think it ran about 50/50.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Alphas were only made in solid gold, that's one of the nice things about buying one, you don't have to worry about whether it's plated with a gold back. The same was true of the very early TV cases.
I've had a jeweler check my solid gold Accutrons and, so far, all of them seem to be gold, I guess I've been lucky.
As for dates, I have several Accutrons and, in some of them, the movements don't have the date markings. I seem to encounter that more than do some others.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
As for dates, I have several Accutrons and, in some of them, the movements don't have the date markings. I seem to encounter that more than do some others.
Even in watches that are in mint, near new condition and from the original owner, it would be possible for an entire mvt. or bridge to have been replaced early on because of a problem. You just never know. In some cases, the watch may not be misrepresented if being sold by the original owner. The owner may not even have been aware of what a watchmaker or Bulova did to his or her watch. The watch may even be listed by a widow or surviving children that know it is a one-owner but don't know anything about it's service history. Of course, we also know there are unscrupulous sellers who build-up or modify watches and then lie about them or intentionally leave out known details to mislead potential buyers. Ludmil has created a 218 with an additional, fixed hour hand that is always one hour advanced. He advertises it as a Daylight Saving watch that never has to be re-set. He is completely open about it, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.