WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't worry my watches are fine, but the warning of don't drop them they could shatter or crack was given, but I have never seen anybody post this on WTF or any other forum.
My question to all the Lumtec people is, has it even ever happened ?
Because if it has never happened before then there is less to be concerned about, as I am sure somebody has dropped one of these watches onto a hard surface from wrist level with nothing happening. Maybe swung their wrist accidentally into one of the big steal I -beams in the big box stores. I know I have done that with with one of my Lumtec PVD watches and amazingly their was no damage, it wasn't super hard, but hard enough to scratch the paint on the I beam.

Comments....Opinion....Observations.....

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Absolutely. The metal is so hard that it does not flex. The very reason it is so "impossible" to scratch is because it is so dense and hard. Most watches will suffer damage if dropped onto concrete but tungsten carbide can crack like ceramic or sapphire on sharp impact.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a situation where I was changing the bracelet on mine and the spring bar jammed and in trying to get it moving the entire lug snapped right off the watch. The material is really a hybrid. it seems to be a metal but it acts in many ways like a ceramic. Though it has weight and scratch resistance in spades a good blow can do it in.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a situation where I was changing the bracelet on mine and the spring bar jammed and in trying to get it moving the entire lug snapped right off the watch. The material is really a hybrid. it seems to be a metal but it acts in many ways like a ceramic. Though it has weight and scratch resistance in spades a good blow can do it in.
I guess there is reason to be cautious then when removing or installing the metal bracelet then, but I don't use mine, mine will always be on custom leathers, that I change from time to time.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm not the least bit worried about it.
I see you keep saying that and that tungsten carbide is not brittle, but the fact of the matter is that it is.

As you can see from the post right after yours, he was able to snap an entire lug off and I know that at least a few people have managed to chip/break bracelet links in the process of resizing their bracelets. Tungsten carbide is an incredibly hard alloy and as such, it is also a brittle alloy.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Why are they going to chromium cobalt? I spent my money on the tungsten so I'm not questioning Lum-Tec. I've see Tungsten take some brutal beatings. Hench my earlier comments.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Cobalt Chromium is a newer material. It is not as hard as the Tungsten Carbide on a vickers scale but for real use, it is just as hard to scratch. The difference is it is not brittle like TC. It also has a platinum color to it and is incredibly strong. The only real drawback is its roughly 3x more expensive. Just the raw material though.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.