WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching and lurking the threads for the past week or so without finding the answer I was looking for, so I thought I'd post myself.

I've been geeking the Lum Tec site for a long while now, having been turned off by the ubiquity of 'tactical' brands like H3 and Luminox, and really want to pick up a Combat B (or put a preorder down on a Dive 300) once I make up my mind on the specific model. But I'd first really like to know from any Lum Tec owners who've owned for more than a few months, how long does the luminescence retain its out-of-box luster? And I could have sworn I read somewhere that Lum Tec would re-apply or service the coating during your period of ownership, but I couldn't find and confirm this info.

Any owners want to weigh in on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dag,

I have three combat models and find the Lume is still perfect on all three. The B2 which is the oldest has the best lume - numbers are bigger with larger markers so that helps. B8 was my next model by age - worst lume effect of the 3 but this is purely down to the lume area as the markers are all small. Newest is the B17 - again lume great falls midway between the two.

All shine well and last just as long so age not had any effect yet.

The lume has a great shine from charging up but loses the wow factor pretty quickly but stays readable well into the early hours. Far better than the lume on other watches I have had, most are unreadable within a couple of hours. Closest come so far for length of time I can read is my G Shock GW3000.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I have three Lum-Tecs, all purchased since the spring of this year (M28, V1, SuperCombat B2), with the oldest now tipping 10 mos. I have seen zero degradation of the watches' luminescence. It never occurred to me that the lume would ever degrade, noticeably, and I haven't seen a thread that expressed those sorts of issues. All three of my watches seem to be just as bright at 5 O'clock in the morning as they were when I purchased them.

Can't address the question about LT's willingness to "refresh" or reapply problematic lume, but I know that Chris (the owner) and Bes (the manager) typically go out of their way to ensure customer satisfaction, and they'd work with you if something went awry.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fantastic information - more or less what I was hoping to hear. Thank you! One more question - is the lume strong enough that wearing it in natural light is enough to sustain the glow for periods of darkened wear, or do you really have to 'charge' it with a more concentrated light source to make it last?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dag - for me I find sunlight or a blast from uv light from fishtank last the same. Even bedside lamp will charge lume up well ....... I wsh a compound could be made that kept the ultra bright glow for longer!

I do find though a tritium based watch is perfect for night use ..... G/tee visible all night, sure doesn't have the wow factor straight off but soon out does the lume..... No charging required as well.

Have a TAWATEC watch I use when needed. Looks ok and cheap enough. EO divers version.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Fantastic information - more or less what I was hoping to hear. Thank you! One more question - is the lume strong enough that wearing it in natural light is enough to sustain the glow for periods of darkened wear, or do you really have to 'charge' it with a more concentrated light source to make it last?
I have never had to "charge" my LTs. It's fun to do that, periodically, but unnecessary, IMO. Everybody's eyesight (e.g., "night vision") is different, so it's hard to make generalizations about the brightness of the lume in my LT watches, but I would say that the lume is equivalent to my Seiko "Orange Monster," which is generally regarded to be pretty spectacular.

If I wear (for instance) my Super Combat B2 normally, throughout the day -- but don't take any special measures to "charge it" -- I have no difficulty telling the time in the wee hours of the morning. Once your eyes have acclimated to the ambient light -- say, after you've been asleep for a couple hours -- you won't have any difficulty telling the time in the middle of the night. At least I never do. This is very high quality lume and laid on very thick.

People sometimes have crazy expectations, partly as a result of looking at Lum-Tec's graphic representations of "fully charged" watch-faces. This is not "false advertising," but the glow from a fresh "charge" dissipates fairly rapidly during the first five-ten minutes, then much more slowly thereafter. In my experience -- after three hours or so of very gradual dimming -- the watch's numerals and hands will remain legible 'till daylight, no problem. The dimming is sort of a "J-curve" on a graph -- fairly quick to start with, then a long, flattish leveling out.

One of the standard references you see batted about is the ability of a watch-wearer to tell the time while sitting in a movie theater, owing to the extreme brightness of the screen, the contraction of your pupils, etc. All three of my LTs easily pass the "movie theater" test.

If you're interested in a combat, I would strongly recommend either the SuperComat B1 or B2. Amazing, lightweight, super rugged, comfortable watches that encase a fast-dissappearing movement. :thumbup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used (and occasionally still do) charge it with one of those blacklight flourescent bulb. It really lights up on my M19.
However, I was surprise that even indoor lighting will light it up enough that you can read it in the dark without having to bring the watch up to your face. It doesn't glow brightly, but you can still read it in the dark at normal distance. You may not be able to read it right away as your eyes adjust to the darkness, but you can see the glow.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I've had the original models of each offering/series (B1/M1/M6/V1) etc. I have noticed absolutely zero diminishing brightness of the lume:thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I use to always wear one of my Luminox watches at night, now will also wear my Lumtec. The lume is fantastic. It does work better with a quick blast to charge, but if I forget it is still useable for the entire night.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This is pretty much a non issue with any watch using Super Luminova for lume, unless the watch gets moisture inside the case. I've been using Super Luminova lumed watches since 2000 or so, I've never had lume diminish over time. As far as that goes, I've never heard of a Super Luminova lumed watch that had its lume diminish over time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The lume does not loose an ounce of brightness over time, it's not tritium. But I've found my combat model has lume applied at about half the height of the best lumtecs and is not nearly as bright as the full height models. has to do with those fine minute marker lines and not being able to put it on thick I believe. I used to post up lume comparison pics all the time. I cant comment on the newer models, I have the B8.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The lume does not loose an ounce of brightness over time, it's not tritium. But I've found my combat model has lume applied at about half the height of the best lumtecs and is not nearly as bright as the full height models. has to do with those fine minute marker lines and not being able to put it on thick I believe. I used to post up lume comparison pics all the time. I cant comment on the newer models, I have the B8.
Right. If I am possum or coon hunting, I use tritium or Timex with indiglo else Lume is good enough. Eyes aren't as good as used to be.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
It is very good on my V1, almost as good as the seiko black monster I have. it is a very close second.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts