WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got a coffee machine recently, a Lelit Combi, an Italian espresso machine. I love using it and have become very fussy about coffees I buy now, suddenly realising how average some of them are.

Any other coffee lovers here? Show us your gear, or tell us about you favourite brew or cafe.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I usually drink a pot of coffee a day.(i am on my third cup now.)
My tastes are truly pedestrian-Folger's Columbian or Black silk are my usual brews.I have a bag of genuine Blue Mountain in the freezer for the occasional treat.
Clark

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
You hit the nail right the first time pal, I'm a coffee freak!

LOVE a good coffee, and drink a pot a day. I've tried probably every system out there but currently using a drip. It's about time to start looking for a new system though..

I know what I want eventually, a Miele built-in system, but it'll eat too much into my watch and diving budget.... :scared:

As to beans I received a bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain and Kona Gold for Christmas one year in college and I was hooked on both instantly. I never buy them in the states, but every trip to Hawaii or Jamaica I load up. Last time I was in Jamaica I brought back 18 pounds. Down to my last few, but I have a friend down there on vacation this week and he's gonna load back up for me. :thumbup:

ahhhhh.. OK, be right back - gotta go refill my cup!

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just finished a nice latte. Being a Sunday I might be up for an espresso a bit later.

I get my beans from a local roaster. At the moment they are Balinese beans, but it is usually a blend that he puts together.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nice looking machine Wombat :thumbup1:

I drink one travel mug a day and recently starting buying beans from Costco (local membership warehouse store)... got tired of stopping at Starbucks on the way to work.

I just went through a bag of Costco house blend (not bad, Starbucks roasted)...

Plant Packaging and labeling Terrestrial plant Transparency Rectangle

and just baught a bag of their Jose's Columbia Supremo beans... hope it tastes good...

Food Font Ingredient Packaging and labeling Drink

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had to give up drinking coffee. It was just causing me too many problems with massive gas buildup and intestinal cramps. I never even drank more than 2 mugs a day either. I'm back to being a tea drinker and honestly, I prefer the flavor anyway. I feel 1000% better too.

·
Super Moderator
16,568 Posts
Heck- I'll take it however I can get it! :lol:

I've made special trips to the food market just for a jar of instant (having some in stock in the house at all times is mandatory). A pot a day has been normal for years, thanks to working in restaurants.
My preferred brew is Chock Full Of Nuts from a drip machine, although there's nothing wrong with Maxwell House or even the grocery store's own label (Wegman's brand). On Sundays and holidays we break out the French press and enjoy either kona or Swiss chocolate almond...whole beans from the freezer I grind-as-needed.
About the only thing I won't do is go to Starbucks. For some reason I find their flavor a little too strong.

·
Registered
931 Posts
About the only thing I won't do is go to Starbucks. For some reason I find their flavor a little too strong.
Yep, they got me preferring stronger coffee now (the weak coffee at work just doesn't hack it for me now). I thought the coffee they sold before switching to Pike Place tasted better.

That's what's nice about home brewing... getting the strength to your liking.

I had an outstanding cup of coffee last year from a coffee shop just outside the Scripts Green Hospital in La Jolla... I need to make a special trip back to find out what kind of coffee they use... taste was best I've had in long time. If I can get some of those beans or some that taste that good, I'd be set.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you guys drink much espresso? I usually start of with a home made cappuccino or latte and will have a piccolo or a espresso later in the morning.

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am getting into a nice espresso lately. It is hard to hide a dodgy espresso, so adding milk cam hide a few sins - even adding hot water o make a long black can hide a few things. I'm just a beginner but already noticing technique and a coffee with a nice crema!

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Did someone mention coffee? :biggrin:

Nice rig, Craig. I have a simple 15 bar pumpdriven single cup DeLonghi machine coupled with a Krupps Burr grinder at home. When I grow up I'll get a Giotto Rocket and a Baratza Virtouso Preciso grinder. :lol: I love espresso, long tall iced black, latte and cuppucino. When I travel, I pack an AeroPress Coffee Maker kit and a Hario burr handgrinder that is set for the right grind on Aeropress.

The beans I love are Guatemalan Antigua, Sumatra Mandheling, Vietnamese Arabica, Kona and Sumatran Luwak. The best beans are freshly roasted and sat for a couple days before serving. I recently started to home roast after obtaining some raw beans. :biggrin:

·
Registered
15,299 Posts

Yes, a big coffee addict here. Tandem of Miele coffeemaker and Aeroccino by Nespresso
puts a big smile on my face ever morning (and even afternoons on weekends).

I do not drink that much (usually no coffee after noon during weekdays), but when
I drink coffee - I like it to be strong. Had a hard time justifying to spend the money on this
built-in Miele originally, but in retrospect, it was money well spent. (NO regrets at all !).
This exact unit was used to make espresso for only one day in their store during
their annual 1-day clearance sale and they gave us over 35% off, so it helped a lot
to take the sting out of the price. We have it now going for 6+ years and actually just
experienced a little hiccup as the brewing unit got stuck and I was not able to take it out.
Last week a technician made a 15 minute stop-in and now the morning happiness
is restored in our household !!
:thumbup1:

·
Registered
565 Posts
That is a beautiful set-up, WatchFan1 :thumbup:
I grind my coffee every morning...just love that smell. I then use a standard Bodum French press for my morning cuppa. I have a weakness for half-and-half and that "natural" sugar (you know, in the brown packets)--trying to slowly wean the sugar out (it's not working) :blush:
My favorite beans are darker, though I like all of the following (if fresh): Kenya, Kona, Sumatra, Colombian, and Starbucks Pike Place and Christmas blend. As a matter of fact, I buy most of my beans at Starbucks (or get Starbucks at another store).

·
Registered
931 Posts
Very nice WatchFan1 :thumbup:

jpv: Have you tried Splenda sweetner? I like sweet coffee and it works for me. Maybe try 50/50 and slowly increase to 100% Splenda over time. I too liked half and half but was really using it to cover up either too strong/week a brew or one that was sitting on the burner too long. Can't beat a smooth fresh brew that's just the right strength (sans half and half). I'm no expert... just some thoughts.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Houdini,
I have tried Splenda. Dunno, just can't do it, man. It's like eating most fish for me: I KNOW I should, and I even WANT to, but the minute it passes my lips...yuck. I probably should keep giving it a go. I'd probably be more apt to drink coffee without any sugar than with Splenda (or another artificial sweetener).
Since I've been drinking coffee with half-and-half for so long, I can definitely take the quality/brew of the coffee under the cream. I know it sounds weird, but it's true. I hate milk in my coffee, though, and will drink it sugar-only if there's only milk around.
Yeah, I'm a little picky :laugh:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.