WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I dont have an Orient yet but I have seen this model at a couple of AD in my city. They are are quite nice but I have my sight on the Orient Star WZ0131FD. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
And I am envious of your collection...very nice watch. I love the dial and power reserve feature. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
And I am envious of your collection...very nice watch. I love the dial and power reserve feature. :thumbup1:
Thanks, and I hope you get the "ebony" version that you want soon! (Orient Star WZ0131FD)
Has anyone seen our friend Bestak? He has the one you have your eye on. :thumbup1:

Pics by our good friend Bestak; PLEASE COME BACK!!! :crying:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Those are some impressive looking pieces.

I'm going to start looking more closely at Seiko.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am about to buy a new watch and my two top candidates are the following
1. Seiko Alpinist SARB017

2. Orient Star WZ0131FD

They are both Japan only models.

The problem is that i like them both, actually I like the Orient a bit more, but I don't know anything about the Orient's movement besides the fact that it is a 21 jewel Japan made movement that beats at 21600 bph! I don't know if it is hackable or if I can hand wind it! Also I don't know if it has a screwing crown.
As for the Seiko I know everything there is to know so I don't have any questions there.

So my questions to you are,
does anyone know something more about the Orient's movement and crown?
Which one do you think has the better movement?
Which one do you think is the best watch overal?
If you were in my place which one would you choose?
Thanks in advance,
greetings to all from Greece,
Dimitris.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Welcome to our forum Dimitris!

I removed both of your links because we are only allowed to direct-link to sellers who are our sponsors; they support our forum. :thumbup1: I put pictures of the watches in their place. You can feel free to link to non-sponsors in PM's (private messages) and e-mails to members.

To answer your question-
The movement in the Orient Star is just as high quality as what Seiko uses, they even share the same Magic Lever winding system. The movement in the Alpinist, however, is a newer and more refined movement; it is hand windable, and hacks as well. The Orient Star can not be hand wound, and does not hack. The crown does not screw down either. The latest Orient Star that I bought has a newer movement that does hand wind and hack-

So your question is impossible to answer; it is personal taste. And if you are like most of us here, you will eventually end up with both anyway! :lol:

Keep us posted on what you decide (they are both great watches), and take lots of pictures! Welcome once again, and good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Buy the Orient. Love the detail on that face...You guys are killing me with those black faced watches. That's about the only thing I don't have in my collection right now. SS case, black face & bezel. I'm about to buy an Alpha to kill the desire.....but I know better...kinda.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts