Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Coast Guard

Votes: 1 5.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here former military? I suspect some probably are.

I'm retired Navy; retired in January 2001.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Navy 71-75.

RM3(SS)
USS Hammerhead (SSN663)

And thus my handle here... rm663

Dave

·
Registered
417 Posts
Actually she was "recycled" in 1994

I'm the webmaster of that page.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
USMC '67-'71
RVN '68-'69
WIA 23Feb69
MOS 0811/9940/0141

MCRD, San Diego
ITR, CamPen
Field Artillery School, CamPen
Hq/3/13
Staging Bn.
DLIWC
K/4/13
W/1/13
I/3/10
LFTCLant

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Actually, most countries have mandatory military service. America is one of the few that it is mostly optional. Some countries even require females to serve as well.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Aaron:

After 20 years, I have to imagine you got more than one medal. ;) If I understand Australian military correctly, that medal is for 4 years of honorable service, so you would have 5 correct?

:)

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Hey Timefinder,

The Australian Defence force were not big on giving medals.(I only have seen uniforms of US military in shows on TV and appears that some have quite a collection.)The only other involvment with the US were some "Kangaroo" excercises in the North of Australia K83 etc,and obviously dress uniforms etc were not seen.

The above medal only recognises 4 years continuous service.They don't have clasps for 8,12,16 and 20 years etc,or not that I know of.

The only other medal for service carried out was the Defence Service Medal,now the Long Sevice Medal,changed in 1999,extra clasps for longer service are available.This medal is for fifteen continuous years of service.

The catch word here is continuous service.

When I first joined (as an Army Apprentice) nearly all my instructors had Vietnam Campaign Medals,cooks,Q personnel and nearly all ranks,as the years progressed it was only the long stayers and eventually they retired as well.

Now with Australia's involvment in Timor,Iraq and the Solomon Islands etc there are more opportunities to go overseas and also depending on your area of operations gain recognition for your services.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts