Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anything? 41?42??40???

just asking

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would like to know as well. Unfortunately I think Lum Tec leaves the traditional sizes to other brands.

·
Registered
164 Posts
40 MM Watches

Come on LUM-TEC: Let's have some 40 mm quartz and auto soon/ many of us don't want CLOCKS on our wrist even tho some of the 44's can work in the meantime. But there is a market there and not just for the Diver either! When O When, Lum Tec?
(Do others feel the same; let Chris et. al know?!

Thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
I am glad you asked this. Its kind of like this in a nutshell: We are a small company and we have only X amount of dollars to work with each year to build the models we feel will be the most popular so that is exactly what we do. We are doing the 300M series in the exact same 2 versions in 40mm and 45mm sizes. We are making equal numbers. This will give us a great gauge on what sells better between the larger or smaller sizes and will give us the solid data we need in order to justify making more models in smaller sizes. We would love to bring out some 40mm M series in the future but doing so would eliminate the funds to build some of the larger sizes which tend to sell much better. We want to bring out 15-20 new models per year. If the larger size 45mm 300M outsells the 40mm versions 6-1 for example it would tell us it does not make sense to produce the smaller sizes. If they are selling equally then it tells us that we should start investing in the smaller sizes as well for more models.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
YEAH! I'm looking forward to seeing the 40mm M series watch. While I have 44mm watches, 40 or 42 is the size I prefer. Looking forward to seeing the new 40mm versions. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You may try v series. Though 44, wears like 42mm.
Agreed V series wears smaller than a 44, though it is a bit thick. Can't wear it under a buttoned cuff.

I picked up a Steinhart Ocean One. It's a 42, and fits my 6.75 inch wrist really well. Would love some 42s from LT!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am glad you asked this. Its kind of like this in a nutshell: We are a small company and we have only X amount of dollars to work with each year to build the models we feel will be the most popular so that is exactly what we do. We are doing the 300M series in the exact same 2 versions in 40mm and 45mm sizes. We are making equal numbers. This will give us a great gauge on what sells better between the larger or smaller sizes and will give us the solid data we need in order to justify making more models in smaller sizes. We would love to bring out some 40mm M series in the future but doing so would eliminate the funds to build some of the larger sizes which tend to sell much better. We want to bring out 15-20 new models per year. If the larger size 45mm 300M outsells the 40mm versions 6-1 for example it would tell us it does not make sense to produce the smaller sizes. If they are selling equally then it tells us that we should start investing in the smaller sizes as well for more models.
Interesting concept but I assume you have considered that Dive watches may not be same as dress watches? i.e. a dress watch might be preferable in a smaller size yet the dive watch a bigger may sell better... dunno... but you are certainly right that you are the one investing the capital and therefore need to ensure your watches will sell!... I am sure I know nothing about the watch market.. I was surprised at how fast the WTF LE sold. :eek:hmy::eek:hmy:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Many folks have said that but I'm sure I am in minority I disagree it wears like a 44mm.

I have a 38mm, 41mm, 42mm, 43mm, 44mm V and a 45MM. The V1 wears just as it should in the range.
"wears like" is so subjective... It doesn't wear like a 42mm or 44mm round watch on my wrist, but IMO because the lugs curve nicely on the V it's easy for me to wear on my small wrist. It's still a big watch though, but I feel comfortable pulling it off. I love my M's, but I think the V is more comfortable on my wrist because it just kind of locks in.

Another positive is my wife actually mentioned that she likes the V strap, and trust me if my wife makes a positive comment about one of my watches that's a huge deal! :blink:

V4 on my 7" ish wrist:

Reactions: Ladd Gardner

·
Registered
410 Posts
"wears like" is so subjective... It doesn't wear like a 42mm or 44mm round watch on my wrist, but IMO because the lugs curve nicely on the V it's easy for me to wear on my small wrist. It's still a big watch though, but I feel comfortable pulling it off. I love my M's, but I think the V is more comfortable on my wrist because it just kind of locks in.

Another positive is my wife actually mentioned that she likes the V strap, and trust me if my wife makes a positive comment about one of my watches that's a huge deal! :blink:

V4 on my 7" ish wrist:
Yes well worded. The lugs do curve nice and the weight distribution is also good. As you say "wears like" is subjective and good for buyers to know it's still 44mm.

Good for you on wife response.... mine cares little for anything I have bought since Omegas. Last watch she thought it had to be well worth the $20 I paid for it. :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Also, the way the case is designed, the V has a smaller face, which helps give the illusion that it's a smaller watch.

I have giant wrists (the V strap barely fits on the last hole) so I'm perfectly happy with 44mm watches...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Also, the way the case is designed, the V has a smaller face, which helps give the illusion that it's a smaller watch.

I have giant wrists (the V strap barely fits on the last hole) so I'm perfectly happy with 44mm watches...
Yeah, me too. I bought a Fortis with a bunt strap I couldn't even buckle it. It ain't all good on this side of the track.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Good to hear of your plans, Chris. You gotta do what makes sence for your company overall and sometimes it means not doing things that you would otherwise like to. It will be interesting to see how they sell in comparison.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Lum-Tec watches usually wear smaller than they actually, owing to short lugs and unusual geometry.

All this talk of watch sizes made me bust out the vernier calipers and measure my M23. It was advertised as a 44mm watch, whilst it was somewhat believable, it sometimes seemed a little larger.

Case width:
4-10 (official definition): 48mm
6-12: 46mm
3-9 (excluding crown): 45.5mm

Bezel diameter: 42.5mm

Thanks to Lum-Tec's mastery of optical illusions, they've made a 48mm wear like a 44~45mm. But I'm still not sure which measurement the 44mm is based on.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Lum-Tec watches usually wear smaller than they actually, owing to short lugs and unusual geometry.

All this talk of watch sizes made me bust out the vernier calipers and measure my M23. It was advertised as a 44mm watch, whilst it was somewhat believable, it sometimes seemed a little larger.

Case width:
4-10 (official definition): 48mm
6-12: 46mm
3-9 (excluding crown): 45.5mm

Bezel diameter: 42.5mm

Thanks to Lum-Tec's mastery of optical illusions, they've made a 48mm wear like a 44~45mm. But I'm still not sure which measurement the 44mm is based on.
Not sure since when 4-10 size is officially official, imho most common measurement used is 3-9 width, excluding crown.
I'm measuring my M25 and it's a hair under 45mm wide... You have cheap digital calipers? :biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts