WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find out more info on these. I didn't buy them, and I'm hopeing that my friend didn't pay too much for them.

First up is a Waltham. The dial is nice except for one little crack in it. No crystal though.
The movement is very pretty! But I don't know if it runs. The crown spins freely without moving any gears, like it's disconnected.

Sorry about the bad pictures, not using my usual setup

Next is the Elgin.
I honestly haven't seen a case like this one. It's kinda thin. Someone mentioned it could be an opera watch?
It does work, filthy though. It can run for a while but probably desperately needs to be cleaned.

Side by side

Any info you guys can give me is appreciated!

Reactions: RJ007

·
Registered
446 Posts
Content removed by the person to whom the intellectual property belongs due to disagreement with site policy and to avoid allowing the site owner to exploit this said content for his selfish monetary gain

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Waltham is a 16 size 1888 model. It's a mid-grade movement, and unfortunately has the Church's patent starwheel regulator that, IMO, is less desireable than the tadpole regulator seen on some 1888 grades.

The winding/setting mechanism on these is a bit touchy to get right-it usually takes me a couple of tries to get the stem installed correctly and I work on them fairly often. That's very likely the source of the problem you describe.

These have special casing requirements, and thus as far as I'm concerned are always desirable in an original 1888 model case. Unfortunately, the pendant wear on this example will be somewhat of a hindrance to value.

To give some points of reference, I bought two cased 1888s in 2011. One was a clean 7 jewel movement in a near perfect engine-turned OF gold filled case, and I paid $125 for it. The second was Royal grade movement(the next step up quality wise from yours) in a worn multicolor mixed metal case(gold filled frame, sterling silver covers with applied multicolor gold accents) that was $250.

Without seeing the condition of the covers of this one, I think it would probably be at the lower end of that price spectrum based on the visible wear.

The second one, I'm not so sure about.
Wow, that was quick!
The back of the watch does have noticeable gold wear. So that'll hurt the value quiet a bit I'd assume.

If anyone's wondering, he bought these two watches and this one http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/longines-forum/58810.htm for a total of 209. I'd like for him to make his money back at least :-(

·
Super Moderator
15,780 Posts
:confused1:Why are the people who take GREAT photos always apologizing about them? :001_rolleyes::lol:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because i don't think they're that great :001_tt2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts