WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up at an auction yesterday!
I had to pay a little more for it than usual, a whole 20$. But I think it's worth it for sure! The fold fill is PERFECT, it starts right up after winding it a few times and it's been running for about a day now.

The movement is a nice 17 jewel, and adjusted which is a bit interesting.
It dates from around 1928.

What do you guys think? Think I can get 50$ for it?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? I thought it was just a little 30$ watch :tongue_smilie:

·
Registered
15 Posts
elgin

From what i have seen at recent marts, you will be lucky to get $50 for it, I can't sell these 12 size watches for enough money to make it worthwhile. Unless it is mint, which this is not, if you get $50 you are ahead of the game. You may get more on Ebay but have to pay the premiums.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I like it, but as you probably know, I'm an Elgin fan. C&B's comment doesn't surprise me, though. I picked up 3 Elgin late model 10s PWs (546, 542, and 543) for pretty cheap, all in good condition, running and keeping good time. Even the Lord Elgin was under $70, and I likely could have got it for less if I'd been willing to wait for the right auction.

OTOH, the later 16s watches (571-575, 616, 590), even the 15j ones, routinely go for over $100. The 21j models go for $175- 300. Folks who want pocket watches seem to want Railroad or Railroad-like watches, and the small, thin dress PWs get left behind. That's nice if you like 'em, not so nice if you're trying to sell 'em.

·
Registered
15 Posts
elgin

Gene, from what I have seen lately here on the east coast, no one wants to pay for anything near what it is worth. The marts have been dissappointing lately compared to a couple of years ago. I actually made some money up until last year, then came the downward spiral, they all want to pay nothing and have it in perfect working order, they all want "deals". I have a 12 size 15 jewel Elgin in perfect running order I have not been able to sell for $40. I will see what happens in the next two marts at chapters 142 and 2 here in NJ and NY.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From what I have seen, unless it is top of the line, railroad grade, the people at the marts want to deal down and not pay what they were listed at even though I was pricing well below book value. Anyhow, that is just my opinion of what I have experienced lately.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys!

The watch is no longer in my possession, but I do appreciate the info. It'll certainly help if I run across any more on the auction trail!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, I should find marts and auctions then since my favorite type of PW is a 12s and preferably in a Hunter case. I have one RR watch, a 1925 Crescent Street in a swing out Elgin Giant case and that's enough. My others are all Hunters. I just don't care for OF watches and I actually think the later model cases with the crown up against the rim are ugly ( like the ones on most 992B's) . I prefer the longer pendant style. I also find the need to unscrew the bezel to set the watch to be an annoyance and another reason why I prefer the slotted bezel Hunters. I also have a 12s grade 314 Elgin Hunter that is pendant set and that's fine. That one is an amazing timekeeper if I wind it every 12 hours. If I let it go 24, it starts to run slightly fast towards the end but winding it every 12 it's been running for 5 or 6 days now and is no more than 4 seconds off the mark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts