WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Omega specifically and only. Vintage, early 70's...1970, '71, '72. What are the desirable choices and why? Pics, as usual, are always helpful and welcome.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
There's a BIG difference in quality between the 55x (non-date) / 56x (date) / 75x (day & date) calibers from the 60's that were used into 1971 and the 10xx series employed after 1972. Omega was trying to stay in business against cheap quartz watches and had to lower their quality to compete. The 10xx calibers were still decent but not anywhere near as good as their predecessors.

Funny you should ask this now. Stay tuned - something is coming on the subject but it might take months.

....unless somebody wants to sell me a post-1972 Genève with a caliber 1012.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Oops, forgot to answer your specific question:

\What are the desirable choices and why?
The caliber 551, 561, 564, and 751 were the chronometer rated versions of Omega's calibers. They're the pick of the litter from the 1960 - 1971 generation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a BIG difference in quality between the 55x (non-date) / 56x (date) / 75x (day & date) calibers from the 60's that were used into 1971 and the 10xx series employed after 1972. Omega was trying to stay in business against cheap quartz watches and had to lower their quality to compete. The 10xx calibers were still decent but not anywhere near as good as their predecessors.

Funny you should ask this now. Stay tuned - something is coming on the subject but it might take months.

....unless somebody wants to sell me a post-1972 Genève with a caliber 1012.
Thanks Dennis...the watch that triggered this is an early '70s Constellation with date. Gold face, gold bracelet, gold case. I believe it was '71 and purchased in Germany, if the country of purchase has any impact on the piece. As to movement, and I am realizing that is all important, I do not know as yet.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
There's an easy tell - is there a break between the day and date window or not? If there is, it's a 10xx. If not and both day & date are in one window it's a 75x (751 for a Constellation chronometer).

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
There's an easy tell - is there a break between the day and date window or not? If there is, it's a 10xx. If not and both day & date are in one window it's a 75x (751 for a Constellation chronometer).
How anyone is supposed to remember info like this is beyond me! :T You've provided LOADS of information over the years and I have to say I've learnt a lot :thumbup1:

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
How anyone is supposed to remember info like this is beyond me!...
It is not the policy of Watch Talk Forums to discriminate against species outside of planet earth!

Reactions: bio

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Is there any question Dennis can't answer! Wink Wink :)
Yes. Just ask me about Rolex or Cartier. Can't tell you anything beyond the basics. Probably couldn't tell a good fake from the real thing. :blushing::laugh:

How anyone is supposed to remember info like this is beyond me!
I'm an excellent driver. Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway every Saturday. 'Course the seats were originally brown leather now they're a pitiful red.

It is not the policy of Watch Talk Forums to discriminate against species outside of planet earth!
Easy now or I'll call in to the Mother ship for an invasion. :sneaky2::001_tongue:

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
...Easy now or I'll call in to the Mother ship for an invasion. :sneaky2::001_tongue:
Better hurry up. Everything goes bye-bye on December 21st!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts