WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have my M7 (1967) round GF Accutron purchased on ebay a few weeks ago..

I am v. happy with the watch, but knowing how hard I knock my watches around, even trying to be careful (door knobs just he right height as I bang against them) I want to buy a spare crystal *unless someone wants to make a fortune making mineral crystal replacements)

Already got a small nick from banging against a door knob!

So..my Q is:

What crystal should I get?? There are a few with both green dots and the "Accutron and the tuning fork marker on the top 12 o clock pos. not the side, so what code, or size should I look for?

Also, is it east to replace, could a basic jeweler do it??

Thanks....

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Sounds like you have a Spaceview Accutron. Most all of those have a plastic crystal, not mineral glass. Does your Spaceview already have a repro crystal on it? If so, you could purchase another of the same type. Yes, there are several different designs particular to certain Spaceviews. Also, there are different diameters. It isn't possible to recommend one w/o more info. If the case code, stamped in ink inside the case back, is still there you may be able to determine the proper crystal from that code. Unless you have the tools, let a watchmaker, not a Jeweler who just does batteries and straps, do the replacement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I forgot to say Spaceview..which it is.

On the back it has all the ordinary markings plus serial #

Obviously, I didn't open the back.

So, from what I gather, just telling you it's a Spaceview M7 round GF bezel is not enough??

How many different diameters could the std. Spaceview M7 round bezels have...?

I see at least two on eBay that have all the right markings, one says 29** mm, and the other says 30**mm

But they don't say for what year watch it will fit..

Was Bulova that haphazard and unstandardized that they used different size crystals in the round Spaceviews that were produced in 1967???

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I don't know specifically how many different diameters Bulova used but you can be certain there were many. Diameter isn't the only possible crystal dimension, either. One thing we have learned as Accutron collectors is that Bulova didn't seem to standardize much of anything case-wise. We joke that Bulova may not have made any two Adcutrons alike. An exaggeration, yes, but not too far from the truth. Bulova mad between 5-7 million Accutrons of all 6 calibers with an almost unimaginable number of variations.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
First of all, we're glad to have you as a new member of The Bulova & Accutron Forum, Luckyme. :cool1: One source that might prove helpful in your trying to identify the proper crystal, might be the accutron214 webpage under Accutron Spaceview Crystals. There, they have photos of the various Spaceview models matched up with the proper crystal for that model. Maybe you will be able to see enough to be helpful in learning the right fit for your watch.

Reactions: oliverb
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.