WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wedding anniversary is in 3 weeks, and my wife wants a Rolex. She has not indicated a style preference.

The choices are confusing, especially used vs. new. On its surface, it seems like one can get better value buying used, but I have no idea who is a reputable source. If anyone can comment on that, even in just general advice terms, that would be helpful.

I have my eye on a two-tone Ladies Oyster DateJust 69173 as a possibility. Might even splurge for one with diamond markers.

I assume that I want one with genuine Rolex parts (no after-market face or bezel).

Any advice about models, vintages, band types, etc. is appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
So she knows she wants a Rolex, but hasn't told you which version? Ok, so here it is:

step 1 - take her to the store to pick one out.
step 2 - buy THAT one!
step 3 - enjoy your anniversary.

Seriously, with the sheer volume of dial combo's out there for the DateJusts, you need to get better input from her. Otherwise the chances are good she'll not be 100% satisfied. Oh she may like it and such because it was a gift from you, but it may not be 'the watch that makes her smile everyday'. And isn't that what you want?

You will definitely get a better value buying used, but unless you really know your DateJusts you could be asking for trouble. LOTS of them out there with aftermarket, or worse fake, parts. And since the DJ's aren't the most popular model you can probably get a decent discount new.

If you do go used, I'd highly recommend one of the newer "11" model numbers. These will all start 11xxxx and they have solid center links on the bracelet, and a hidden clasp. The older ones have hollow links in the center and a stamped clasp. My wife has both & really prefers the feel and look of the solid links and hidden clasp.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have a local jewelry store that is a certified Rolex retailer. Other than haggling with them, are there other sources for decent discounts?

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Not really that I'd recommend for a new watch. There's some gray market dealers, but you'll lose the Rolex warranty and their discount probably won't be that much better than the AD one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would be interested in knowing if there are sources to check on the reputations of online dealers. If anyone wants to chime in with definite ones to consider or stay away from, I'll take those suggestions too. Thanks.

Added: And with just a one year warranty, is the warranty all that important on these?

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
So to the 1st question, every online dealer will almost certainly be a gray market dealer. Meaning the watch will NOT be backed by Rolex. It's strictly against an AD's dealership agreement to sell online. So you'll be hard pressed to find one doing so as Rolex actively looks for that activity and clamps down on it hard. You may get a 1 yr warranty from the gray market vendor, but many of them make you jump thru all kinds of hoops to get service, and unless something fell off inside usually find a way to make it out of warranty. So be careful. You will usually have no warranty against running an hour plus or minus for example. If the watch runs at all, they consider it 'working' and anything causing it to gain/lose time is an environment issue (magnetized, dropped, etc.). And keep in mind Rolex's servicing of a watch can easily start at about $500, more if parts are needed. Remember Rolex will give you a 2 year warranty on a new one from an AD.

As to names of places, just to advise you it's against forum policy to discuss sales vendors that aren't forum sponsors. However, we do have several sponsors that sell Rolex though many are preowned. If you click on the Sponsors link on the top menu, then click List Alphabetically you'll see all the sponsors. The dealers are pretty easy to see, just click on their logo to be taken to their online store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.