WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a good bit of time yesterday playing with a Blancpain 50 Fathoms at an AD. It's a wonderful watch, but I've decided it's simply not for me - after more than a year or so of watchlust.
In fact, it was going to be my first watch purchase of 2008. But now, I'm over it.
Weird. Does this happen to you?
It just happened to me two weeks ago, too, with a Bedat chrono.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I was seriously thinking about a Breitling for my birthday present to myself. It was either going to be a Chronomat Evolution or a Superocean. Then I saw JBHIIs beautiful Navitimer and decided to wait a while.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I spent a good bit of time yesterday playing with a Blancpain 50 Fathoms at an AD. It's a wonderful watch, but I've decided it's simply not for me - after more than a year or so of watchlust.
In fact, it was going to be my first watch purchase of 2008. But now, I'm over it.
Weird. Does this happen to you?
It just happened to me two weeks ago, too, with a Bedat chrono.

why do you say it is not for you?
too expensive? too big?

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why do you say it is not for you?
too expensive? too big?
Actually, too plain. Rather boring in the flesh. It doesn't have the presence of a Rolex Sub, for example. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice watch. Incredible fit and finish. Just didn't do it for me. I knew going in, I'd have to spend at least 6K, so it wasn't a price thing. Just no romance.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Better to find out early than feel like you have an "ugly duckling" to sell off at a loss. If you do purchase and find out later that it isn't for you, at least there is hope the ugly duck can be the next guy's swan (and a nice swan at that since it's cost was partially subsidized).

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was always quite taken with it too, todd.
But when I was fiddling with it on Saturday, I just decided it was rather plain.
Hard to explain it exactly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree the ss verson of the 50 is a bit plain, but have you checked out the anniversary edition or the flyback version?

·
Registered
662 Posts
@boscoe - I know how you feel. I was very interested in the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms myself...until I saw it. I've seen both versions. Once I saw the version with the steel bezel, I hated it. It is very plain and the bezel style just isn't me. Now....the "new" version (Ref. 5015-1130-52) is glorious. It's glorious, but wayyy too big (45mm) and quite expensive.

I think that the best advice here, or perhaps the moral of the story, is to always see it in person - and - walk away from it a couple of times.

But once I saw the GO Sport Evolution....well, I'll be posting a review of it later.

-Ben

1 - 14 of 14 Posts