WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you love early Bulova Accutrons you sometimes encounter an anomaly and wonder 'what were they thinking'? Until recently when posting a picture of one of my M1 examples I identified it as a model 602. I was confident in this designation because I had several period advertisements that clearly matched my watch and identified it as a 602.

My M1 18k caliber 214 matched the illustrations to tee. So you could guess my surprise and confusion when this was posted by Spaceview M2.

This '602' has a coin edge dial that was used by Bulova on several early model Accutrons while my watch, and that of Spaceview M2 has a completely different dial. Otherwise the descriptions match, i.e., 18k case, caliber 214 movement etc..
The upshot is when I identify my watch as a model 602 I will be doing so with a little bit less confidence. Another Accutron conundrum!

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
I give up on saying the word definitive or perfect match. So many anomalies with these Accutrons, or at least very contradictive model info. A few of these new pics that depict the same model number but a different dial look has been popping up on Mybulova. The Model 541(Coin edge Dial Alpha) & this Model 602 pics both have come from 'inside' members working Mybulova. They seem to have come across a catalog that shows many of these watch/dial model numbers that we have not seen before but they haven't released the entire catalog and a few like these don't match other known File photos we are accustomed to. So the few that I have seen on Mybulova sure throw a wrench into what we have thought as one model or another. I am not sold on the newfound variants that duplicate the model numbers of past known watches. But it's not worth losing sleep over. Bulova Accutron Corp. accurate Model archive is not their strong suit. It's full of holes and hit and miss at best. :unsure:

I will sort through my library for definitive info..... :rolleyes::eek::unsure:

·
Super Moderator
5,838 Posts
I cant imagine Bulova was much different that Gruen back in the middle 1900's. Gruen had a bad habit of re-using model names every 8-10 yrs on completely different watches and if someone told you they had a Gruen 'Squire' or 'Yale', you wouldn't know what it looked like unless you knew what year it was produced. And yes, they had the habit of putting numerous different dials & hands on particular models.

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
It also seems that we are talking about the very early Accutrons (Pre-1964) when Bulova was 'getting' their act together on the explosive popularity/production and advertising records of these new tuning fork watches. I know good records on these early watches are very hard to find compared to many later Accutron models (generally). I think we will continue to find holes and anomalies with these early accutrons. It sure shows how important Corporate record-keeping makes a difference 50+ years later.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great comments all...with greater challenges facing us today than model identification our friend Rob B might express it this way:‘it’s not worth getting your knickers in a twist’. So I will simply enjoy the watch.👍💕

·
Registered
352 Posts
It is a nice watch, but I can sympathize on wanting to know what it’s called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There is an ad where you can see the coin dial used on a variety of early accutron cases. The alpha case is a great example of one where a variety of dials are used. It reads, "The masculine simplicity of advanced design. Heavy, brilliantly polished case of 18k yellow gold. Alligator strap. $300."

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
There is an ad where you can see the coin dial used on a variety of early accutron cases. The alpha case is a great example of one where a variety of dials are used. It reads, "The masculine simplicity of advanced design. Heavy, brilliantly polished case of 18k yellow gold. Alligator strap. $300."
View attachment 224408
View attachment 224409
It's true that the coin edge dial was popular. But the watch you quoted (E) is not an Alpha which is case 2304(2nd from left pic)(B). The watch you highlighted is the 18kt Gold case 2324 most commonly seen as a Model 602 with a different dial. And none of those watches pictured call out a Model name but we know all the Model names except for the watch you highlighted, but its hinted to be another Model 602 according to Accutronredux pic.

I find it puzzling that Bulova would change a Model name & Style number of a watch simply on the change of a bracelet to strap (EX: Astronaut (C Style# 26200 &(D Style#26201) but yet in the above file pics of the (602) Bulova would call a completely different watch the same Model number & Style number?
My question for thought would be: If a customer would walk into a Jeweler store and order a Model 602 Style 26003 and Bulova in fact made more than one watch with the same model and Style number, how would the Jeweler know to order the correct watch with the correct dial if the advertised info is exact for both watch designs? To me, it makes no sense as far as sales and ordering.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
SM2, What I was highlighting in my post is another ad showing a coin dial on a "602" case. I agree with everyone that it is confusing to not know unique style codes. With all the different dials, including custom ones with diamonds, it would be great to see unique identifiers.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
Nice Ad Sam2. I have seen that one before but the significance of the description never hit me. So as of this writing, we actually have 3 different-looking case 2324 dial layout advertisements, all being called Model 602. Interesting!

BTW: I read through personal postings that the Mybulova staff has acquired "several dozen' new Bulova Line Books so it's no doubt we will be seeing more accutron identifications. I am not sure they will publish the books or not. The few new accutron ads I have seen (including the Coin Dial 602 ad that accutronredux posted) are not found in the Hanson Accutron Book.

·
Registered
25 Posts
On the bottom right of the ad Sam2 posted, it offers a price range of $150 to $,2500 - If a 18KT gold 602 was $300 back in the day, any idea on what model would have cost $2,500 :oops:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for sharing those Spaceview M2 and Accutronredux, I did not know such an Accutron existed and it looks stunning!

Now the big question, has anyone ever seen one of these platinum models in the flesh?!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bob Piker has one listed on his web site for $25,000 which is the new lower price having been reduced by $12,000.:oops:

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
Now the big question, has anyone ever seen one of these platinum models in the flesh?!
We have a forum member that owns a Platinum 214. He offered to sell it to me a year or so ago but it just isn't on my must-have list. I haven't seen one in person. They only made a handful of them so seeing one in the wild would be a very rare event.

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
Bob Piker has one listed on his web site for $25,000 which is the new lower price having been reduced by $12,000.:oops:
Yep, Carl. He has had that one for sale for quite a while now. I was studying that one a few days ago and realized that it 'seems' that he has two different caseback pics in his sales description. At least that is what I observed when comparing the caseback pics. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts