WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Watchfan1, Scott, Tony, Marco for the 5205g inspiration. The posted threads did help convince me to go for this Patek model, my first one after a string of Panerais and Rolexes.

As mentioned earlier, I was "smitten" by this model upon seeing the print ads in my local AD watch magazine. That was around January when I pulled a trigger on another watch and was given an annual copy of their magazine.

At around that time, my whole horology world was revolving around Rolex Day-Date on rhodium dial. Also, a Patek grand Calatrava rose gold model was also in my radar. Fortunately or unfortunately, it was not to be as those watch models were not available in my local AD.

With not much information available in my local watch club forum, I decided to do more research by "googling", in which I stumbled on this great forum. That was around April. The information and pictures provided on the 5205g were indeed very helpful in sealing the deal for my first Patek. Comparison to the recently discontinued annual calendar gondolo, similarities to the 5207 and the 5960, and having the opportunity to see the 5726 in flesh during one impromptu GTG also made me finally decide to go for this annual calendar model as my first Patek.

While my mind was already made up, there were challenges in finding such model in the local AD. There was one available at my local AD in matte black/slate grey dial. Though my heart was set for the rhodium/silvery grey dial combo due to my fondness for rhodium day-date, I asked the AD if they could hold on to it for me while I ponder on the decision. Unfortunately, the watch was taken in that afternoon and the AD was kind enough to advise me of it. Thinking it may take a while to find another one, a quick SMS to inquire from another branch of the same AD yielded a positive, with the preferred dial combo available. I quickly went to the AD to make a reservation and shall look forward to happily collecting the Patek 5205g in the next few days.

I shall post the pics and my impression of the 5205g in the days to come.

Thanks again for the inputs provided.

· Registered
13,431 Posts
Congrats on the new watch incoming!!! WOW!!!!!!!! I'm sure you're going to just love it! Looking forward to seeing your pictures, and I'm sure the wait over the next few will have you feeling like a child on December 23rd just waiting for Christmas to arrive.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

· Registered
20 Posts
Congratulations...

....on the new watch. I know you'll love it as much as I do mine. It is a truely a unique piece. Has a little of everything: sportiness, elegence,prescence, etc. I was also looking for the silver dial but was lucky enough to find the black dial version and after starring at pictures for a week I decided to go with the black dial. I never actually saw either one in person though. I just knew I would love it and the fit on my wrist happens to be perfect. I own a 37mm Patek and its a little small so I figured 40mm would be perfect, which it was. I just ordered the deployment clasp w/ new band for the watch. I figured the extra $$$ is like an insurance policy so it doent fall of the wrist. I'd hate to loose such a watch due to a 200.00 tang buckle, ya know?

Anyway congrats on the watch and wear it in good health!!!!!!! Marco

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on the new watch incoming!!! WOW!!!!!!!! I'm sure you're going to just love it! Looking forward to seeing your pictures, and I'm sure the wait over the next few will have you feeling like a child on December 23rd just waiting for Christmas to arrive.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks Scott for the warm welcome.

As to the feeling, it is a bit "indescribable" although there is this thought that this is a right purchase that could set off more newbies to purchase this modern AC model.

Will post picture after I shall collect it next week.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ordered the deployment clasp w/ new band for the watch. I figured the extra $$$ is like an insurance policy so it doent fall of the wrist. I'd hate to loose such a watch due to a 200.00 tang buckle, ya know?

Anyway congrats on the watch and wear it in good health!!!!!!! Marco
Thanks Marco. As to your thought of the tang buckle, there's something on th deploy ant buckle that cause some skin irritation on my end. But will discuss this with the AD if such buckle can be lumped as part of my purchase. Thanks again for sharing.

· Registered
7,431 Posts
........But will discuss this with the AD if such buckle can be lumped as part of my purchase.
FYI, this deployant PP gold buckle is about $2500 - $3000 USD (depending on what color of gold and what part
of the world you live in (and if VAT is, or is not included). Platinum one is over $5000. Nevertheless, it ain't cheap,
so I would not expect the AD 'just to throw one in as part of the purchase'....

· Registered
20 Posts
I was given a price of...

2900.00 for the white gold deployment buckle with the new strap. Thought it was in the ballpark so I went with it. I actually wanted it also to have it engraved for my son, something special ya know. Thats the main reason for the purchase and then the extra safety of it. Have a good day!!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Watchfan and Marco

For the advice given on the cost of deploy ant buckle.

I believe there's something on the deploy ant buckle that warrant such hefty price tag, beside the Patek name. Hope you can share.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here it is, presenting the 5205G in rhodium/silver grey dial

First of all, I apologize for taking a while before posting this PP 5205G acquisition. I picked up the watch at the AD not in August but sometime in mid-September. While I did collect the watch, it took me another month before I was able to muster enough courage to finally open the box and wear the watch. Call it the first “jitter” as this is my first Patek purchase and I would like to savor that special moment. That special moment came when we had a mini-GTG with fellow watch enthusiasts, and it was finally the right time to bring out the "baby". (An interesting side note I would like to share is I forgot the third box (brown box) in my excitement to bring the watch home from the AD that I have to hurriedly call the AD that night to keep the third box for me. They gladly obliged. I guess this is part of a habit I acquired from my other “P” purchases.)

As to what made me decide to purchase the PP 5205G as my first Patek, actually I had planned on a 5296 Grand Calatrava back in late 2009 to no avail. As time passed by, I was convinced that I should have a Patek in my watch collection (which was further "drummed up" with fellow watch enthusiasts opining that my first Patek purchase should be with complications) and that it should be an Annual Calendar model, a perfect entry to the Patek world. As shared earlier, my first serious encounter of a Patek (other than the Grand Calatrava) was the PP 5205G which I noted in an AD magazine given to me. What caught my attention in the said magazine was the ad picture of the two-tone PP 5205G neatly tucked yet half-exposed in the cuff of the gentlemen’s dark suit. (Don’t know but the picture of the said ad was very magical to me!) The rest of the story, I believe, was already shared in my earlier posts.

I also had the opportunity to try on the PP 5726 but still pursued the PP 5205G purchase based on the helpful comments provided by Scott to Tony in his posts, with the various reasons I totally agree: a) a nice dress watch is harder to come by than a sports watch and one will never go wrong with a Patek; b) the calendar aperture of the PP 5205G has fewer cover up time, and in my line of work, knowing the date is very important; and c) my daily office getup actually fits nicely with the PP 5205G. Thanks again to Scott and Tony, also to Watchfan and Marco for the posts and the inspirations. :thumbup1:

On my impression of the PP 5205G, IMHO this is a perfect watch for the following reasons: a) a very modern two-tone dial Patek model with very useful complications (in the form of annual calendar, with moon phase, and 24-hour timeline) perfect for my daily need, understated yet elegant with the white gold case and the rhodiumed/silver grey dial; b) the display caseback showing the PP movement, including the concave bezel, and the pierced lugs are really sights to behold – I can’t stop staring at them; c) the calendar aperture position actually tailor-fits to how I would read calendar dates – day, date and month; and d) love the shiny black leather strap and the simple tang buckle – no more “buckle bite” for me. However, I did order the deployant buckle from the AD which I plan to keep it for the “next generation”.

Lastly, my first day in the office with the PP 5205G did attract some attentions and queries from friens and guests during meetings. I was totally surprised but happy that my PP 5205G was a looker. :001_smile:

Will this be my last Patek purchase: I hope not as I have set my sight on another Patek model -- totally in contrast to the 5205G. Will keep you posted. Overall, I am very pleased with the PP 5205G. Thanks to Patek for this simple yet elegant and modern Annual Calendar watch. :thumbup1:

On with the pictures and the wrist shots:

Opening ceremony with the Patek box:

The mesmerizing display caseback with the movement:

The AD magazine with the "magical ad" that started my PP 5205G craze:

The wrist shot -- otherwise, it did not happen: :001_smile:

Thanks for looking.

· Registered
962 Posts
Congratulations once again.

And may I add what a nice read, in regards to your thoughts & reasons before purchasing the 5205G

Now, you hint at maybe another Patek, at sometime in the future, which would be totally in contrast to the 5205, so I suspect it maybe a "sport" watch:wink:

Enjoy many years of pleasure.

Regards
Tony

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Michael and Scott ...

The Patek 5205 annual calendar has been described in the Patek annual collection as "elegantly original" to which those with an eye for handsome timepieces will also delight on the concave bezel, pierced lugs, and two-tone dial creating a clean, dynamic, and resolutely modern look. I agree 100% to this statement and indeed it has its own character that makes it a different AC altogether. :thumbup1:

Again thank you to this forum for drawing me to this complication and eventually leading me to select this timepiece model against other brands and other Patek models.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello all, especially to Tony, Scott, Marco et al whom I remembered fondly for contributing valuable inputs allowing to pursue the 5205g in 2011. Can’t believe it was almost 10 years when I posted this subject matter. It was a different era indeed.
I smiled incessantly upon reading my old post because of the passion put in before purchasing the timepiece.
Hope you are all safe and will provide a detailed update on my Patek journey in the next few days.

· Administrator
8,055 Posts
Hello all, especially to Tony, Scott, Marco et al whom I remembered fondly for contributing valuable inputs allowing to pursue the 5205g in 2011. Can’t believe it was almost 10 years when I posted this subject matter. It was a different era indeed.
I smiled incessantly upon reading my old post because of the passion put in before purchasing the timepiece.
Hope you are all safe and will provide a detailed update on my Patek journey in the next few days.
Welcome back! Of those individuals you mentioned only Tony is still somewhat active here but the rest of us would love to see an update with some new photos!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.