WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

This is my first time dealing with '1st March' with my 5146 and have a couple questions - some are theoretical so I hope you'd humor me :laugh:

Supposing the watch shows 28th Feb today, if it is left 'uncorrected' would it display 29 tomorrow, 30th and 31st thereafter? The reason I ask is that I like to always set the time/date of the watch to the previous day and using the hour/min hands, move across midnight into the 'day' I'm setting the time for.

Therefore, I have two options for setting my 5146:

1) as per the manual, simply adjust the time to a safe spot (6am for example, outside the 8pm-2am and 9am-11am date/moonphase activation zones), then simply push the date to the 1st, which should cause the month wheel to switch over to March as well. Updating the rest is straightforward.

2) First set to 6am (or stay in a safe spot), then set the date to 31st February (month setting is left untouched). Now, pop the crown out and move the hour hand through midnight rolling over to the 1st. The rest is set accordingly again, that's day of the week, moonphase etc.

Has anyone here tried taking the second approach? I wonder if #2 is worth it to ensure the date-flip occurs at midnight as in a non-complication movement - then again, the date rolls over gradually on my PP, thoughts?

Thanks!

Cheers M.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You could simply move the time through the next 3 days....I think you will find that February has 31 days on your annual calendar.

Reactions: WatchFan1 and GETS

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could simply move the time through the next 3 days....I think you will find that February has 31 days on your annual calendar.
Hi Donut- thanks! I just realised, as I decided to set mine using the first method. Since the time is 'synced', I'm guessing the date change should occur at midnight.

I also noticed how the date change flipped through to 31, and then 1st causing the month register to advance to February; February acts like a month does on any non-complication watch. I've made a video on the setting process and it'll be up on Youtube shortly - will update with the link for anyone interested.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
How about sharing some photos of that beauty....congrats it's a stellar timepiece.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Donut, I'm thrilled to have gotten it for my 30th... I've got a fair list of PP's I'd like to add over the coming years - 5127, 5712, 5960 etc...

You've got it, here we go:

I've also got the Calatrava cuffs to go with it... It's on my todo list to get the other design (with the outer circular ring and guilloche work) cuff pair as well.

Many more snaps can be found here: Patek Philippe Calatrava 5146J with Annual Calendar, Moon Phase, and Power Reserve Complications - a set on Flickr

Better yet, I've reviewed this on YouTube:
Patek Philippe Calatrava 5146J with Annual Calendar, Moon Phase, and Power Reserve Complications - YouTube

...and today I uploaded a clip of it being set:
Setting a Patek Philippe 5146 Annual Calendar - YouTube

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Beautiful timepiece....congratulations and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
God, I was super stoked to get a Rollie on my 30th... I either need a new job, wife, or both... Congrats on a beautiful piece
You'll notice that I've been through a fair few Rolexes in the past and having also owned multiple APs and this PP, there isn't much that Rolex offers that really excites me. The PPs I mentioned and a few Lange pieces do - you know when a watch gets you going 'ohhmyyyyyyy' :D

Interestingly, a good hour before buying this 5146 - I tried on what hope to pick up someday (no hurry at all) a Day-Date with BR2 Meteorite Diamond Dial. Mind you, since 2007 one watch that stuck with me was a 36 mm DateJust in SS/RG and a Pink Diamond Dial.

It's flashy and at the end of the day that's all I can say about it. As for my 5146, I could talk for hours about it...there in lies the thrill of a PP annual cal :)

Suffice to say, I'm glad that I decided to go see what PP had in stock before walking out with it. I actually, almost did!

...and I just took these recently:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love the watch and cufflink combo. I have resisted getting some matching cufflinks for my Patek but you might have just broken my resolve....

Here's one more to push you over. Seriously though, they are the nicest cufflinks I've ever come across. I've seen 18k RG ones from Montblanc with a single solitaire suspended in the 'glass top' (as they did on their 100th Anniv pens) and yet they simply do not compare.

With PP you know it's going to ooze quality throughout.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I saw this watch in a store a few years ago and I didn't even give it a second look. As the years go by, I enjoy it more and more. The picture of that watch under the cuff is mighty elegant. One of these may be in my future. (But not near future)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.