WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I understand why we don't often discuss price when it comes to each individual watch we are discussing, as threads would become littered with discussions around value (perceived or otherwise) and would get away from the main subject in hand - the appreciation of the watch being discussed. This is a dynamic that I accept on an interactive medium like a forum.

However - are any of you annoyed when you read through watch magazines and websites that advertise watches for sale - when the price isn't mentioned? I just spent a really frustrating 90 minutes away from my computer (in my local country pub over a couple of pints) with two new watch magazines. I was reading about certain timepieces and thinking "Ooooo that looks nice I wonder if I could.....) just to find no mention of the RRP anywhere? I just find this so annoying because I want to read about the watch and know if it is something I could afford now, in the future, or maybe never? I would still read the article (about a minute repeater costing £1.2m) but at least I would be reading it as a watch fan - and not a potential buyer!

When I see a nice watch on here (that I don't know) I just google it and look up everything I can about it (including price). It's time consuming but I understand why it is necessary (for one thing we can do without watch ownership elitism in a forum community spawned by the "I just spent £90,000 on a watch").

But when I read a magazine or visit a website selling or promoting watches I want to know the price as well! It's not interactive. It's not going to offend anyone. Just tell me the b****y price! :cursing::cursing::cursing:

I don't get this problem when reading about cars or clothes or shoes. What is it with the watch world?

Your thoughts?

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
You can talk price and value here. We frequently give average selling prices when discussing vintage watches. You do make a good point about tact and some high end pieces. It isn't a good idea to throw the cost around.

I'd wager a few of us have been in the same boat as you. I saw the Breguet 5197 in a magazine a couple days before a New York trip. We made a stop in the Breguet boutique (next door to the Omega boutique) and I was a little surprised that it was almost $5,000 more than I expected. Looks like I'll be waiting a few years to pick it up pre-owned.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dennis,

Seeing as you have considerably more grey hairs than I do :001_tt2: have you any reasons that you can think of why price isn't discussed in magazines? What gives?

Regards,

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
No clue. Maybe they were sued for causing a subscriber to have heart falilure over a price. :scared::laugh: Sometimes the reviews have the list retail at the end of them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It can be annoying and a little frustrating, though usually prices aren't too difficult to dig up online. I can understand a desire not to force the inclusion of price into a descriptive article about the watch, but a footnote should not be out of the question.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was once told "if you want to know the price, you probably can't afford it" - not my opinion, just a comment made by the owner of an Aston Martin dealership near to where I live.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was once told "if you want to know the price, you probably can't afford it" - not my opinion, just a comment made by the owner of an Aston Martin dealership near to where I live.
Yes - I have heard this too but it's just stupid. We are consumers. We consume. In order to consume we have to pay. In order to pay we have to have the money. That quote you cite (which I have heard so many times too - so I know isn't your personal view) is just elitist and throwaway claptrap.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I agree, and some magazines are worse than others. I too would still read and enjoy an article about watches that are out of my price range, but I would like to know so if it is in my range I can consider it. I can't imagine why not, perhaps the advertisers (who pay for the magazine and supply the info to the magazine) feel that they will get people coming into the stores to find out more giving them a selling opportunity?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes - I have heard this too but it's just stupid. We are consumers. We consume. In order to consume we have to pay. In order to pay we have to have the money. That quote you cite (which I have heard so many times too - so I know isn't your personal view) is just elitist and throwaway claptrap.
That quote is usually used in snotty ways nowadays for sure. But I believe the phrase is originally JP Morgan's who wasn't trying to sell anyone anything - he was trying to shut down someone asking impertinent questions about how much it cost to operate and maintain his yacht. If you've ever been asked by a particularly nosy and persistent non-WIS how much your watches cost, I think you'll appreciate how someone might be goaded into barking out something like this.

I think Wombat's got it - advertise with the top end stuff, and once you've got the client in the store, sell them what they are willing to spend. Still, it'd be nice to see the MSRP in the small print.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
(FYI) I've found that WatchTime Magazine is the best at printing MSRPs but even they fall sorely short of what you want.
Keep your eye out for the (apologies, but I can't remember who they're associated with) annual Wrist Watch Buyers Guide magazine. It has a photo, basic specs of the watch, notes (sometimes), and best of all...prices.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Yup, it's not my personal view. I would rather know the price up front so that I may decide if I shall wistfully stare at it through a window or walk in and try it on with an intention to purchase.
It would be interesting to know how many people walk away from something they could probably afford had they known the price.

It does not take long with this hobby to know roughly which price point a watch you're looking at is in I think.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Pricing- - - - the age old trick, pique your interest, you contact enquiring about price and you say "Wwwhhaaat you must be $%#@*&^ joking!! Then they say would Sir/Madam be interested in something a little cheaper? Badoing your gone.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'd wager a few of us have been in the same boat as you. I saw the Breguet 5197 in a magazine a couple days before a New York trip. We made a stop in the Breguet boutique (next door to the Omega boutique) and I was a little surprised that it was almost $5,000 more than I expected. Looks like I'll be waiting a few years to pick it up pre-owned.
A lot of us are in the same boat, but some of us are traveling in Steerage... :lol:

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I see a nice watch on here (that I don't know) I just google it and look up everything I can about it (including price). It's time consuming but I understand why it is necessary (for one thing we can do without watch ownership elitism in a forum community spawned by the "I just spent £90,000 on a watch").

But when I read a magazine or visit a website selling or promoting watches I want to know the price as well! It's not interactive. It's not going to offend anyone. Just tell me the b****y price! :cursing::cursing::cursing:

I don't get this problem when reading about cars or clothes or shoes. What is it with the watch world?

Your thoughts?
I think the reason is that there is so much margin built into this business, that nobody in the biz wants the public to know how deeply they can be discounted. A jeweler operates on about a 100% markup (i.e., 50% margin), and then you have to put in the distributor and manufacturers' margins. Direct internet sales and discount house sales screw all that structure up.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
I think the reason is that there is so much margin built into this business, that nobody in the biz wants the public to know how deeply they can be discounted. A jeweler operates on about a 100% markup (i.e., 50% margin), and then you have to put in the distributor and manufacturers' margins. Direct internet sales and discount house sales screw all that structure up.
Not on most watch brands anymore. It's closer to 35% to 40%. Gold jewelry is still a large margin, more than a full number even with a discount.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts