WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys pretty new here to this forum but I've lurked around and its cooler then some other watch sites I've been to. I never signed up with them. By way of introduction I started my watch interest almost 20 years ago. It started by taking apart an old mechanical wrist watch I found in a drawer at my parents'. IIRC it was called Hirsch on the dial. "nurse watch" I got it running and then snapped a stem on the balance wheel taking it a part and putting it back together again IIRC.

Back then in the Chicago Trib there would always be these ads for watches I'd never heard of w/B&W pictures. One was of a IWC with all these extra dials (portofino) it looked so cool I had y wife call the jeweler and ask about it. They said it was IIRC $8K w/t strap an $12K maybe with the bracelet. She asked how late they were opened on Saturdays! We didn't but a few weeks later I got a catalog from the same store in conjunction with American Express. They were extending 12 months finance no money down No Interest!! Well I may still have that catalog but it's wrinkled from drool. I did buy through them out of the catalog we went to get it an Oris Auto Date Moonphase Stainless Rectangular w/a Blue strap. (I'll show pictures after boring you to death with text.)

That was it I was hooked and even signed up for a correspondence course in watch repair and although I didn't and still don't have the time I tried that. About the same time the internet was hopping and along came auction sites! I was buying stuff left and right, got burned a bunch Vacheron SS Teardrop lugs trip/date Moon Phase in stainless (OUCH) it was real, real beat, when I went to return it he baulked and it was a pricey lesson. I had a watch guide and even contacted the author about the prices he listed and those that were being realized at auction. With those sites being so new I could look at all the new watches posted for the day and it was no more then two pages! They had no categories, like they do now just Watches. I saw some "deals' when they were miss listed or only had Old Watch in the Item Title.

The next watch was a White Gold Hamilton w/o a seconds hand. Classy! The original crystal was glass and flat across making it very thin, it didn't take much to give it a "Star" the replacement is domed and Plastic (I'd love an original, bought a second just for it and well its wasn't org either so now I've two) Also since it was bought NOS the band was dry rot and when it was replaced by the jeweler he kept the org Buckle on the old strap (was it marked? was it WG?) Anyway too late to ever go back I guess.

Since then I have bought another VC which was pretty much worn everyday retiring the Oris. I'd swap it out at work for a Seiko and swap it back Like Mr. Rodgers and his shoes. I got that also on line it worked well for a year or so and then started to develop issues. Sent it back to VC in NY and they called and said too big a job for us its off to Switzerland! Cost of repair almost 1/2 what I paid for it, still keeps great time.

That is about enough I guess for intro. I'm here to learn and maybe share what I can. Oh and I'm getting a LumTec M50 for this fathers day so no picture of that yet. I did add a pic or two of some of my other watches. I'm still too new to get or find a Watch Box.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Pretty amazing watches!

Check out www.shopamex.com to see their MR First offerings (If you're a Platinum card holder). You can get IWC, GP, and a few other fine watches.

That VC is an awesome piece. Surprised you retired that Oris though, I think it is very cool!

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Hello, small, and welcome to WTF!

Those are nice pieces you have there. I like the 14kt white gold, mid-to-late 60s Hamilton ThinLine 2030. It's in beautiful shape! I look forward to sharing info with you and hope to hear from you often.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the welcome guys.

When I said retired the Oris it was just as the everyday, since the VC was new to me at the time. The Oris is broken out often still and I think since it was my first it will always be my Favorite. Its always decision time when getting dressed to go out. My wife will takes hours picking out cloths, not me, 10 minutes max and extra 5 for a tie, if required, and a half hour choosing which watch!

Its funny how I got the thin line, at the time there were Few Jewelers even stocking Mechanical watches, with exception of high end store with high end brands. But being the trend setter I am and talking watches with my jeweler he went back into his vault and found a stash of NOS pieces, this one caught my eye for its simplicity, and I mentioned it to my wife who got it for me for fathers day. That said when the strap was changed there at the store now one noticed if the buckle was marked or even if it was WG. I see that same watch listed about $800 but its been for sale for some time. If that is the price I did well on both of mine, although the second one I bought for the crystal, has engraving on the back as a presentation watch. So there goes a bunch of its value.

Anyway thanks again for the welcome, I hope to be around for a while.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and it wasn't a IWC Portofino that made me drool at first it was their Novencento Perpetual Calendar. I thought I'd collect Rectangular Stainless Steel, and Stainless Triple Date Moon Phase dials of any brand. Yet since I don't repair my own, finding a good smith and reasonable prices kept me away, but now that I'm here maybe I be able to pick that back up again. With suggestions from you all.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
.... I see that same watch listed about $800 but its been for sale for some time. ...
I think that's wishful thinking on the part of the seller. Considering I haven't seen the watch, I think an asking price of $400 is more realistic-
$500 if the seller includes a receipt proving the watch has recently been professionally cleaned and oiled.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I'm having some issues here not sure what but I'd posted a reply, when I entered submit I had to re-log in I thought it posted yet now its gone????

Anyway short version.

The VC mf/3xd was stainless. It had a snap back case was manual wind and was not listing in the buying guide at the time. I paid $3500 for it off an online auction site. Maybe '96/'97 The seller was selling a few high end watches and had positive feed back. When I got the watch I was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED. from pictures to real life, what a difference. The case back wouldn't stay on and the pitting on the back that looked slight in the pictures was too much in reality. I paid what I thought I should of a much better example. I don't believe it was a case of buyers remorse. The watch was not worth $3500 to mo. It kept terrible time and when I contacted the seller he said he had just had it serviced for several hundred dollars and that if I want to I could return it but he would hold back $500 until it sold again. He said since in our conversation he could tell is was a novice he had spent that "for me" so I wouldn't have issues. I needed to adjust my ideas about watches that these are vintage and not NEW. Anyway I sent the watch back he held the $500. I would email him now and then and at first he'd say he had someone, the other bidder was going back and forth or something. I never saw it re-listed so I don't know what became of it. If it was nicer I would have kept it for sure, back then one kid I had that kind of money today well.....

Now the VC in the picture that is Stainless steel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.