WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened to pop into my head as I was trying to fall asleep last night. Since most people don't seem to understand the appeal of automatic watches have you ever tried using an analogy to describe why you like them? If so, what analogy did you use and did it help them to better understand? Obviously it would have to be something that appeals to the person's senses because the example I'm about to give wouldn't help my mom understand at all, but to anyone into high performance cars it would.

Here's mine

An automatic vs manual transmission is an obvious example but I will go a different direction since many car enthusiasts have reasons to own automatics.

Let's say Ferrari came out with an electric motor option on one of its models. The car performed equally well if not slightly better, got 400 miles between recharges, required very little maintenance, and was cheaper. While there are a lot of appealing qualities here it has lost a lot if not most of what makes are Ferrari a Ferrari. Take a look at the engine. The gas version is a work of art. I don't know what the electric engine would look like but I have yet to see one that excites me. Climb into the electric version and turn the key and your greeted with silence instead of a nice raspy exhaust note. Now accelerate and all you get is the hum of the electric motor instead of the fabulous high pitch scream that you would have gotten with the gas version.

While this may be a bit of a stretch it shows that the character of a product is more than skin deep. It shows that the enthusiast often appreciates that character even though it isn't necessarily the most logical (on paper) or cost effective way. Many people might say the gas Ferrari is too loud and requires too much maintenance so why would someone pay more for it but to me it's a no brainer. Obviously most people appreciate the outer beauty of a Ferrari but how many know what makes it tick.

So what analogies have you used to help people understand our love of automatic watches?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
analogies

For my shooting friends, something like this. Of course, I own modern quartz watches and modern semi-auto shotguns, but I also love using the old technology. I still get birds and can still tell the time, even if I have to cock the hammers or pull the watch out of my pocket, and there is something tactile and graceful about these old things that is not quite present in some new ones. I drive a Lexus hybrid, but I think I'd have more fun (and a lot more trouble) with a Morgan Plus Four.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
How about this analogy.....

How many would opt for a car with a carburetor and a distributor with points, over our electronic fuel injected rocket machines.

Carburetor and points not very efficient or accurate as far as gas mileage, horsepower etc..
More maintenance.

Electronic and fuel injected efficient and very accurate and less maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about this analogy.....

How many would opt for a car with a carburetor and a distributor with points, over our electronic fuel injected rocket machines.
I wouldn't but a lot of people would. Most of the guys who are into muscle cars swing that way. Some of the cars are converted to more modern engines but most are not. I work with a guy who loves to mess around with his 1960's cars. He may not want to deal with it for his daily driver but likes the traditional carb setup for his hobby cars. So, if I tried to make him understand the appeal of an automatic watch I could relate it to him liking to wrench on his old technology cars.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I knew a guy who had a Jaguar from the '50s with two engines. When something would go wrong, he would take out the broken engine and put in the other one, which was working. Then he would fix the broken one and wait for the one in the car to break so he could put in the fixed one - and endless cycle. But he loved that Jag and simply accepted reality.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like the craftsmenship that goes into a automatic. I repair printing equment and I marvel at how someone can hand make a dial, put all the little gears togeather and get it to run. I am fasinated by the workings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
wine and soda
automatic watches are like expensive wine, they appreciate in time
quartz are like soda, that gets stale but you just can't live without them

·
Registered
820 Posts
Making another car analogy is kinda beating a dead horse, but I can't resist...

A buddy of mine used to have a '71 Olds 442. A real neckbreaker! Another had a newer Porsche. Both were so cool, and the Porsche was technically faster, but one night I literally had a "warm and fuzzy" type dream about that 442! :001_tt1::drool:

OR

For anyone who follows pro surfing - It's like comparing Gerry Lopez' groundbreaking style in the 70's, and subsequent pioneering of techniques even as an aged contestant; vs. the skill, precision, and prestige of Baywatch's own Kelly Slater!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Making another car analogy is kinda beating a dead horse, but I can't resist...

A buddy of mine used to have a '71 Olds 442. A real neckbreaker! Another had a newer Porsche. Both were so cool, and the Porsche was technically faster, but one night I literally had a "warm and fuzzy" type dream about that 442! :001_tt1::drool:

OR

For anyone who follows pro surfing - It's like comparing Gerry Lopez' groundbreaking style in the 70's, and subsequent pioneering of techniques even as an aged contestant; vs. the skill, precision, and prestige of Baywatch's own Kelly Slater!
Nice braugh!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Autos vs. Quartz = hard shell vs. soft shell tacos.
Both do the job, both taste great. One is easier to eat (quartz) than the other which can crack (auto):scared::biggrin::cool1::001_tt2::thumbup::crying::001_tongue:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts