WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my two years as a pretty hard core Invictaphile, I've come to learn a couple of things. We are a passionate lot about are watches.

We can also be a bit sensitive to criticism of the brand, not matter how real or perceived it is. There are several things at work, I think, that heighten our sensitivity. One may be the fact that at the prices Invictas generally sell for, we can indulge in a way that lovers of Rolexes, Omegas, etc. can't, unless their multi-millionaires, in which case they are probably buying IWCs, JLCs, etc.:T

So maybe in some odd way we feel a little insecure about the brand. That is, they are so much cost effective than the aforementioned brands, that deep down in our subconscience we believe they are a lesser, even though consciously, we don't think or believe that.
So when we detect the slightest slight against Invicta, we raise our collective tails and bare our teeth:mad:

Plus, we don't read about Invictas like we'd all like too in the watch magazines. Oh sure, we may see an ad or two every once in awhile touting the Invicta Anatomic in iW, or see a Russian Diver brief in a watch buying guide or What's New column, but that's about it.
Ours is a brand cloaked in a greater degree of secrecy than arguably many others.

And then there are the watch shows on that TV shopping network. While we all probably think they're a delight, there's a little part of us that wonders, "Why don't we see a lot of the mainstream brands on the watch shows?" It is yet another thing that subconsciously nags at us.

So how do we reckon all these negative things with what we know otherwise? I'm not sure I know, other than to look down at what's on the wrist. Admire the heft and shine of the bracelet. Watch the sweep of the seconds hand - or tick-tick-tick if it's a quartz. Pop the lights off and watch the lume go to work.

And come here to the Original Invicta Forum, and share that love and passion with the rest of us Cheeseheads.:)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Well put Agent Orange... I agree that while we may be over sensitive to criticism, others may also be too quick to shun Invicta, or maybe it's my sensitivity just noticing more shunning and bashing... anyway... I agree... it's almost like we internalized an inferiority complex and when reminded of it we get perturbed!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Great post AO. I believe you are right in all aspects. I for one, am so tired of defending the brand, I have essentially given up. I PM'd Boscoe today, letting him know that he had won the war of attrition. I feel as if I have spent my WIS life defending Invicta against guys like Boscoe and Foghorn. Hell, I got booted from my last forum for doing so. We are a self conscious bunch. Constantly living with the thought that the WIS around us don't respect us, probably wish we were'nt here, etc. As I have stated before many times....... I believe most Internet watch forum guys to be small minded snobs. Including this site. I however, have found the greatest cast of characters resides right here, at the original Invicta forum! I will continue to fight for you guys, and you guys MUST stand tall for your watches. Invictaphiles are an oppressed bunch, and one day we will revolt.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Nice post I for one will keep purchases from Invicta to myself from now on. I will be happy to share other non-TV watch buys but as far as the brand I actually like to COLLECT I will keep to myself. But I will look in from time to time on the Invicta froum.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Great post AO!!

@banned

It's not the watches,as I have stated before in many posts.
It's the way that they are misrepresented on TV.
I got 'em and I like 'em

Relax and enjoy a watch!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
AM, You are not leaving us are you?
No I'm not leaving but just feel that being involved in the Invicta forum is just too draining and demoralizing. I would much rather talk about an accepted brand with little or no complaint's. Not saying that complaints aren't part of collecting but with 75-80% being bad experiences I would rather just live vicariously thru you guys when you post your Invicta purchases.

:thumbup1:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Enjoy what you wear, I certainly do. I'm an Invictaphile and I proudly wear it on my sleeve. As long as people bash, I'll continue to counter. I don't find it draining or tiring or bad in any way. I love debating the merits of Invicta and will continue to do so around here. It's all in fun, nothing to get mad or upset about and it certainly is not personal.

On the other hand, I honestly feel there is a lot of ignorance and snobbery associated with and perpetrated against the brand. I don't mean to say that people are idiots, I simply mean that people make assertions without enough information to do so in good faith. Plus, they are influenced by the massive advertising and "brand building" that most of the big luxury watch brands participate in. Critics are certainly entitled to offer their opinion, but I also have the right to contradict without being label "defensive" or "overly-sensitive."

That said, you will also find me questioning some of the dumb/inept things that Invicta does from time to time. No watch company is perfect, but the positive far outweighs anything negative about the brand and the way it operates. At the end of the day, as AO said, I can look down at my wrist and know without a doubt why I love Invicta.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Enjoy what you wear, I certainly do. I'm an Invictaphile and I proudly wear it on my sleeve. As long as people bash, I'll continue to counter. I don't find it draining or tiring or bad in any way. I love debating the merits of Invicta and will continue to do so around here. It's all in fun, nothing to get mad or upset about and it certainly is not personal.

On the other hand, I honestly feel there is a lot of ignorance and snobbery associated with and perpetrated against the brand. I don't mean to say that people are idiots, I simply mean that people make assertions without enough information to do so in good faith. Plus, they are influenced by the massive advertising and "brand building" that most of the big luxury watch brands participate in. Critics are certainly entitled to offer their opinion, but I also have the right to contradict without being label "defensive" or "overly-sensitive."

That said, you will also find me questioning some of the dumb/inept things that Invicta does from time to time. No watch company is perfect, but the positive far outweighs anything negative about the brand and the way it operates. At the end of the day, as AO said, I can look down at my wrist and know without a doubt why I love Invicta.:thumbup1:
What I'm saying is that it sucks that even when someone is posting a new watch someone always has to chime in with how bad their experience was. A thread can't even let the poor guy enjoy showing off his new watch. Rant done. I may have a change of heart in a few months but for now........

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I'm saying is that it sucks that even when someone is posting a new watch someone always has to chime in with how bad their experience was. A thread can't even let the poor guy enjoy showing off his new watch. Rant done. I may have a change of heart in a few months but for now........
Hey buddy, that's not true ALL the time.
http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/showthread.php?t=3627

Just doing what I can to keep you happy and engaged, pal. I'd like to keep you around here posting often.:)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Something I posted on the General forum, that I believe needs to be posted here............................

The one thing I would like to state here....... I find it curious that moderators of this forum are sometimes the most critical of others. Are you moderators not held to a higher standard? I'm being serious because I have never been a moderator, but I would think you guys would want to lead by example. In my 20 years as a street cop, and now Federal Agent, I cannot afford, nor am I allowed to profer harsh personal opinions on any subject in any venue while on duty. Should not the same be required of you.... The policemen of the message board?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've owned Invictas for about eight years now (I started with the 8926 like a lot of people).

I've also frequented various watch forums and when I see people bashing Invicta I think.......so frickin' what???? I like the brand and who really cares if others don't happen to like a brand that I enjoy buying/wearing??? :confused1:

Why should you take it personal if someone has different tastes than you??? My motto in life is "do what you like" and if someone has a different opinion than you about anything.......good for them, I wouldn't take it personal.

There are people in the world who are starving or fighting for their lives and the lives of their families. We have troops in the Middle East who die almost every day so.....that helps me keep life (and watches) in perspective. It's just a **** hobby after all! :cool1:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I think you are missing the point IKKYU. We here at the Invicta forum have to weather the storm of bashers near and far, who come here specifically to bash us and the brand. They always carry with them the caveat of "I own three Invictas so I can say this". I don't like Rolex. However, I am respectful and polite enough to never, ever, venture to the Rolex forum with the express purpose of speaking negatively. I owned a high end Oris for years and did not like it much. I never ONCE posted on the Oris forum while I owned it. That is just being a courteous grown up. Folks like to bully Invicta and it's owners. Some people, like me and a few others were created to repel and attack bullies.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think you are missing the point IKKYU. We here at the Invicta forum have to weather the storm of bashers near and far, who come here specifically to bash us and the brand. They always carry with them the caveat of "I own three Invictas so I can say this". I don't like Rolex. However, I am respectful and polite enough to never, ever, venture to the Rolex forum with the express purpose of speaking negatively. I owned a high end Oris for years and did not like it much. I never ONCE posted on the Oris forum while I owned it. That is just being a courteous grown up. Folks like to bully Invicta and it's owners. Some people, like me and a few others were created to repel and attack bullies.
I hear you brother and I understand your frustrations. :001_smile:

I try to keep in mind that this is just an internet forum, not real life. In other words.......it's just words. If someone bashes my brand of watch (and I've owned many and still really love Invicta BTW), I don't allow myself to get upset. Why should I??

They have no power over me unless I allow them, that's my point. If someone says something offensive I would typically ignore them or respond with:

"OK".....or..........yawn..........:laugh:

In my younger days I was a scrapper and loved to fight (verbally or physically) but these days........I'm too old and lazy to care what other people's opinions are if they have a problem with me. :sleep:

Life is too short to stress over the small stuff and although I love Invicta and watches in general.......it's small stuff in the big scheme of things, yeah?

Peace! :biggrin:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I ignore most of the bashing also, but agree with Am, it does get old after awhile.

Dave

·
Banned
927 Posts
You know where I stand on this, and I pretty much agree with everyone's point of view because that's what this is all about... expressing a point of view.

I think most of the negativity regarding the brand comes from the way they are marketed, alot of which can be traced to Mr. Lalo and his over-the-top hyperbole and far too frequent misstatements. He represents the brand, and in my opinion, he IS the brand. If anyone should be straightforward and forthcoming, it's him. He is the CEO of a company that has apparently had huge success selling a purported 1.7 million pieces last year, so he should let the product speak for themselves without all the fluff and over-the-top claims, and his product knowledge SHOULD BE second to none.

Add that to the well documented issues surrounding CS (for every good report there seems to be a bad one to offset it) and oftentimes suspect QC, the inflated MSRPs that no one pays, the unkept promise regarding Reserve pricing (a huge negative IMO on Mr. Lalo and his word), and the huge discounts off those supposed "retail values" that equate to great deals but truly devalue the brand, and you have a potent mix for negative posts.

I see very few posts saying that the watches are not some great designs (although many are homages to other designs, but so are alot of other company's offerings), or good values, especially at their TRUE retail selling prices.

I wear and enjoy the ones I have, but Mr. Lalo is the main reason I am not considering any more at this time, although there is always the temptation.

But the main point is... I don't take anything personally I read on the net, UNLESS it is a personal attack with certain stereotypes or generalizations thrown about regarding the perceived characteristics of a certain group, because that is wrong, and has no place on a board where were discussing a common interest... watches.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
A manifesto? This is a watch forum, orange. . . shouldn't you be writing a MINUTE-FESTO?

That said, Jerry, your essay is very, very good. My only concern is that you are not writing this in a small cabin, away from civilization . . . . . . with a large amount of explosives nearby are you? (Think Ted K.):blink::wink::lol:

·
Registered
417 Posts
You know where I stand on this, and I pretty much agree with everyone's point of view because that's what this is all about... expressing a point of view.

I think most of the negativity regarding the brand comes from the way they are marketed, alot of which can be traced to Mr. Lalo and his over-the-top hyperbole and far too frequent misstatements. He represents the brand, and in my opinion, he IS the brand. If anyone should be straightforward and forthcoming, it's him. He is the CEO of a company that has apparently had huge success selling a purported 1.7 million pieces last year, so he should let the product speak for themselves without all the fluff and over-the-top claims, and his product knowledge SHOULD BE second to none.

Add that to the well documented issues surrounding CS (for every good report there seems to be a bad one to offset it) and oftentimes suspect QC, the inflated MSRPs that no one pays, the unkept promise regarding Reserve pricing (a huge negative IMO on Mr. Lalo and his word), and the huge discounts off those supposed "retail values" that equate to great deals but truly devalue the brand, and you have a potent mix for negative posts.

I see very few posts saying that the watches are not some great designs (although many are homages to other designs, but so are alot of other company's offerings), or good values, especially at their TRUE retail selling prices.

I wear and enjoy the ones I have, but Mr. Lalo is the main reason I am not considering any more at this time, although there is always the temptation.

But the main point is... I don't take anything personally I read on the net, UNLESS it is a personal attack with certain stereotypes or generalizations thrown about regarding the perceived characteristics of a certain group, because that is wrong, and has no place on a board where were discussing a common interest... watches.
I look at it this way... I find the company very interesting because of what we don't know. Mr. Lalo is very passionate about what he is doing and it's just business after all. If you don't like the product, company and/or CEO it's your perogative to do business elsewhere.

I love the product and I truly believe Invicta is suffering from growing pains when it comes to QC & CS issues. I can handle the sales hype.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I've been around the board long enough to have heard everyone's complaints about Invicta and even had a discussion or two on the matter.

I do understand the frustration of not getting what you pay for and getting the run around from CS. I ordered a fancy tag for my golf bag from the USGA and it never arrived and I'm left having paid nearly thirty bucks for nothing. So, the USGA store can go to Hades for all I care.

However, on the whole Invicta seems to be turning out some pretty good watches and especially in the price range that I'm willing to pay.

For someone who's lived on the margins of society for as long as I have, symbolically, the Invicta really is the perfect watch for me, especially since the two I own have operated perfectly within the limits they were designed for.

When someone bad-mouths Invicta, or anything for that matter, without some substantive, personal experience, I just wonder how insecure they must be about the products they own.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts