WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys !

While looking around for some other things I came across the name of American inventor Eugene Fitzue Badgley of Brooklyn, New York.

On April 3, 1866 (almost 146 years ago) Eugene was granted a design patent for the "improvement in safeguards for watches".

I find this design to be EXTREMELY historically important and light years ahead of it's time.

While the design of Eugene's invention was not intended to be worn on the wrist how long do you think it took somebody to figure out that the wrist would be a great spot for it's use ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

146 years ago ! ! ! !

His design was intended for "a mode of securing watches, lockets and other valuables to the person, thereby rendering it impossible for pickpockets to ply their vocation"

His exact wording.

He did not design the case, the watch or anything else, just the securing device.

Take a look at the bow on one end, the hook on the other end and the length of the strap ! !

The strap length even looks to be adjustable.

I wonder what would have happened if Eugene added the word "wrist" to his paperwork upon filing with the US Patent Office ? ? ?

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Great Horology Stan

You are a wealth of information Stan!!!

This is fantastic stuff!

It really shows the crossover from PW
to Strap!

I wonder if he made any money from
this little "Idea?"

Great horology Stan!:thumbup1:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I don't know if he actually made any money from this design I do know that he would have if it was worded it differently in the patent paperwork.

Can you say "royalty check" ? ! ! ! ! ! !

This basic idea did not catch on for another 30 years (The Boer Wars) and even then it was very slow to evolve over the next 20 years.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Well, if it didn't catch on for another 30 years, he'd have been out of luck. Patents at that time expired after 17 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts