WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Bulova Watch belonged to my friend Janet's dad.....a rose gold watch with white letters.....there are quite a lot of them out there.......what there isn't out there a bunch ......is a watch band like this .......

from the outside, looks like other bands ......

but when you turn it inside out .....( try that with any other watchband but a Spiedel or wanna be......)

and then stretch it out ....oooooooooo

and you can angle it because of those wonderful joints .....

and I love the neatly folded over tabs where the tops are attached......such an intricate and beautifully made band ......

isn;t that just the coolest ? .....made by Foster .....a company that I am not familiar with .....and is most probably the band that either came with the watch or was bought for it immediatly ......

NE one else ever seen one of these ?

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Oh Boy Salleh!!!

That is incredible!!!!

Thanks for showing it off to the Gang:001_tt1:

Love the photography too:thumbup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
This Bulova Watch belonged to my friend Janet's dad.....a rose gold watch with white letters.....there are quite a lot of them out there.......what there isn't out there a bunch ......is a watch band like this .......

from the outside, looks like other bands ......

but when you turn it inside out .....( try that with any other watchband but a Spiedel or wanna be......)

and then stretch it out ....oooooooooo

and you can angle it because of those wonderful joints .....

and I love the neatly folded over tabs where the tops are attached......such an intricate and beautifully made band ......

isn;t that just the coolest ? .....made by Foster .....a company that I am not familiar with .....and is most probably the band that either came with the watch or was bought for it immediatly ......

NE one else ever seen one of these ?
Very nice! I have a very similar bracelet that I acquired with a rose gold Gruen curvex. I took it off and there's a pigskin strap on it now but one day I may swap them out.

Reactions: salleh

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
These bracelets are really great, one of the most comfortable expansions ever made. The link design was called Quadra-Flex when used by Apex, which seems to be the original to use this design. I have some Foster's (they were a "value-priced" brand) like this and while they're nice, they aren't as substantial as the Apex. Here's one NOS:

The patents on one of my Apex follow.
2267968 dated 1941 by Karl C. Augenstein, who held lots of patents used by Speidel, Bellavance, Jacoby-Bender, Foster, and likely others:

Some of the Apex bands came with "Universalok" ends, patented in the 1950s:

One of the more unusual Apex bands is this one from the 1950s. I have one of these but can't put my hands on it right now. It's a really odd band, thick...Rube Goldberg comes to mind:

These expansion bracelets are marvels of manufacturing. They're precision-built with many tiny rivets and lots and lots of springs. Here's an interesting patent for a machine to make the springs:

The Apex bands were sold in ladies and mens models, with and without removable links, and in various link patterns. Stainless steel, 1/10 12k gold-filled, and some had solid 14k gold top caps.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow ! ....that is fabulous information ....thank you so much .....I'm speechless....these bands are truely marvelous ......

although., looking at the Fosters band that my friend Janet has ....it looks to be quite nicely made......

and you're absolutely right about the comfort factor ......

the biggest problem with them is that I would rather get one for me and then wear it inside out !

thanks again .....I am flabberghasted.......

Reactions: timesofplenty

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Wow Scott, I don't think I've ever learned as much as I have in one post than I did in that. Amazing! Prints, history, pictures man, that is the motherload!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
At the very real risk of watchband-geekery, here are some comparisons of similar bands: Bellavance, Foster, and Apex.
1st and 2nd pics show a Foster flanked by Bellavance. These are of very similar quality and were priced comparably when new way-back-when:

Slightly different designs, but the expansion action is the same.
You can see the last link on the Foster is crooked: Although never used, it has a broken spring. This can be repaired, but finding the spring and rivet could be a challenge.
The next 2 pics are an Apex next to a Foster, then both on edge:

You can see the difference in thickness and design between the Foster and the Apex.
My scale has been absorbed into my desk, but the Foster feels ~1/2 as weighty as the Apex.
Presumably Foster streamlined the design to reduce manufacturing costs, as they sold for ~1/2 the price of the Apex.
I had to do some digging to find the missing Apex mentioned above but it did surface, here's the post:
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/watch-strap-forum/56874.htm#post514642

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just for grins and giggles ....I popped over to ebay to see if this watch band was available, and for how much ......

this band in stainless, is $75 .......the gold filled one goes from $80 to $130 .......yikes !

so I guess I'll just have to trip on Janet's ......looks more than a little too pricey for this girl ......ah well maybe someday ........

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Incredible Horology Scott!

This goes to show that when it comes to vintage bands
you are the Guru :thumbup:

Awesome Post!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts