WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone....i will not name the AD however they are located in FLA and are a major chain.......i just got off the phone asking for the MSRP of a submariner (16610) NOT the ceramic.......when the guy quoted me he made it clear that their are no discounts......having purchased rolex watches in the past from other dealers i routinely get 10-18% off retail........so whats up with nthe AD in FLA?...is he pulling my chain?......he claims ADs can lose their 'rolex dealership' if caught giving discounts...

thoughts please

for the record.....im in canada and i can get the exact same watch out the door for $800 LESS than in the states!!!!!!!!!!......

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
He's probably not yanking your chain. For several reason's I'll assume.

1) you're specifially calling out the 16610. It's an in-demand model as it's discontinued (I'm actually surprised they still have one) and as such discounts on it aren't necessary. In fact most dealers didn't discount that particular model even when it was an active model. But again I'm shocked he actually has one NIB given it's been discontinued awhile now.

2) Rolex has tightened the reins on discounting lately. With the soft economy the past few years they 'looked the other way' some. But this has been swinging back the other way. Discounts have been harder to find in AD's the past 6 months and even if they do offer a discount to someone 'in the store & ready to buy', they rarely anymore quote a discount on the phone. For all they know it's someone from Rolex trying to see if they'll discount.

3)Also, add to that a large chain of theirs, Jared's, either lost their dealership or stepped away (not sure which) but the result is one less large dealer to compete with. As such the remaining dealers aren't discounting as much.

Bottom line I'm not really surprised they're not quoting discounts. If you were in the store and ready to buy they might give you a little discount. But given you're not, I wouldn't be too optomistic..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Thanks for the reply......I understand all this and accept it to a degree........I will never purchase off an AD ever with no discount as thats just a rip off.......having collected watches and owning IWC, Breitling, Omega Rolex etc I have yet to never receive a discount.........and lets be honest.....its not a discount.....the watches are 'marked' up anyways MSRP and PRICE LIST is a formality in order to leave the ADs with 'wiggle' room. Theres always 'another' AD:thumbup1:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Yea, I hear you and agree, I too have rarely bought anything without a discount. But I've also maintained relationships with the AD's using them (and usually the same salespeople) repeatedly which helps some. However, as I mentioned this seems to be changing some, and having other AD's don't help if they're under the same pressures.

A little more info that might help. Honestly from what I've read and heard, the brands are just getting tired of the discounts "dilluting their brands" (their words, not mine) and are pushing the dealers harder & harder to stop, or greatly reduce, discounts. Some brands have raised their wholesale cost to the dealers, in effect cutting out some of the dealer margins, which in a way eliminates some discounting as there's less room to play for the dealer. Others are actively pushing their dealers not to discount, and threaten pulling dealership agreements if they do. Rolex seems to be one of the bigger ones pushing this. A dealer I've used for over 10 years and always gotten excellent prices from recently quoted me a price that was drastically less discounted than I've gotten in the post from them. When pushed they (reluctantly) gave some of the details of the changes, and the pressure they've been put under. Could it have been a line? Possibly. But this guys been honest, open & straight with me for many years, and I have no reason to start doubting him now. In fact some of the info he gave me lines up with other items I've been seeing happen since then, so it really confirmed some of it for me.

Unfortunately I don't see that it'll get better. In fact I think it'll get worse over the next couple years, with brands threatening to remove dealers who discount and/or place their "boutique" shops in the market, forcing you to buy direct from them where they control the price (and BTW removes the gray marketeers). And this isn't limited to Rolex, I see other brands, including Breitling, IWC, Omega, etc. doing the same.

Is this good or bad for the consumer and brand? Time will tell, but IMO it's bad. As you said the prices are out of line anyways, and getting worse. But they're still selling them, even with less discounts. Plus the US market isn't the #1 priority to the brands anymore, Asia is. So they're cutting back on what they ship here so that stock can go to the Asian market. That reduces the overall stock in the US, which helps them keep the less discounts / higher prices since there's less supply here to discount. So while it's bad for the consumer (IMO) as long as they still sell all they make, there's no incentives for them to change the course they seem to be on.

But we can always vote with our wallets. I for one have bought my last new Rolex. I'll probably add more Rolex's to my collection eventually, but they'll be preowned. The new market has just gotten out of control IMO. And while I'm singling out Rolex here, they're not the only ones and there's other brands I'll for sure never pay their retail on. The way things are going buying a new watch will soon have a higher 'off the lot' depreciation than cars.... :scared: :cursing:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no doubt....:laugh:.....thanks again for the informative reply....another reason why watchtalkforums is the best watch forum out there:thumbup1:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Rolex policy is that the ADs are not allowed to sell Rolex over the phone and online... Therefore, can't blame the AD "not able to offer a discount" when you called.
IMO - it has nothing I do with which AD was able to offer you discount previously, and what watches you have collected over the years....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure the Rolex policy is that the ADs are not allowed to sell Rolex over the phone and online... Therefore, can't blame the AD "not able to offer a discount" when you called.
IMO - it has nothing I do with which AD was able to offer you discount previously, and what watches you have collected over the years....
lets be clear ......i didnt ask for a discount over the phone........i asked what the MSRP was 'sticker price'.......the salesman made a point to clarify to me that the MSRP WAS the price......i did not elude to anything other than wanting the MSRP........

he did however ask if i would like to make a deposit on my credit card to hold for me until i arrived in FLA......i am based in Toronto Canada

finally, it HAS EVERYTHING TO DO with other AD's giving discounts and previous purchases of other major brands....im sure your well aware that IWC offers pieces in equal value to rolex monetarily with 'in house' movements.....no need to state Breitling or Omega as their lineup speaks for themselves......

bottom line...no AD discount.....no watch will be purchased by me or should by anyone else for that matter.......not at this time when PLENTY of AD's are offering discounts.....i don't care what the value.....this of course is just my opinion and i look forward to purchasing my next rolex with whatever dealer offers me a discount......

I for one do not like the automobile or watch 'sticker' price(MSRP) method.....but it keeps dealers in line for not undercutting each other and their profits.....rolex and the dealer are all in it to make money.......hence the 'discount' usually happening one on one in store......Omega dealers for one offer a much better discount than Rolex.....but that is about to change......Omegas changing their AD policys.......i could go on but you get the drift......

happy shopping:thumbup1:

·
Registered
108 Posts
lets be clear ......i didnt ask for a discount over the phone........i asked what the MSRP was 'sticker price'.......the salesman made a point to clarify to me that the MSRP WAS the price......i did not elude to anything other than wanting the MSRP........

he did however ask if i would like to make a deposit on my credit card to hold for me until i arrived in FLA......i am based in Toronto Canada

finally, it HAS EVERYTHING TO DO with other AD's giving discounts and previous purchases of other major brands....im sure your well aware that IWC offers pieces in equal value to rolex monetarily with 'in house' movements.....no need to state Breitling or Omega as their lineup speaks for themselves......

bottom line...no AD discount.....no watch will be purchased by me or should by anyone else for that matter.......not at this time when PLENTY of AD's are offering discounts.....i don't care what the value.....this of course is just my opinion and i look forward to purchasing my next rolex with whatever dealer offers me a discount......

I for one do not like the automobile or watch 'sticker' price(MSRP) method.....but it keeps dealers in line for not undercutting each other and their profits.....rolex and the dealer are all in it to make money.......hence the 'discount' usually happening one on one in store......Omega dealers for one offer a much better discount than Rolex.....but that is about to change......Omegas changing their AD policys.......i could go on but you get the drift......

happy shopping:thumbup1:
So after all that, you were "still" planning on getting a discount even though the AD on the phone was not offering it.... Or was "what is your best price/can you discount?" your second question after he quoted you the MSRP?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So after all that, you were "still" planning on getting a discount even though the AD on the phone was not offering it.... Or was "what is your best price/can you discount?" your second question after he quoted you the MSRP?
Im not sure what your point is here esm apart from attempting a 'flame war'......:huh:

Perhaps you have never received a discount....what I am saying is hardly unheard of...in fact its the norm.......I absolutely 100% expect to get a discount off the MSRP whereever i shop.....there are a few Rolex ADs in and around where i will be staying......i will shop around in person.....1000000000000% i will get a discount somewhere....MSRP attitude gets no sale

I dont phone around and shop prices..........it is NOT abnormal to call an AD and ask for a 'list' price....

go ahead and pay MSRP on watches you purchase as that is your choice and i respect that......just we aware your watch is not worth MSRP and you are giving the AD maximum return........why do ADS get repeat business?...because they are willing to modify their price within reason...if MSRP is all its going to be than they should shutdown all ADS and open boutiques...very simple......are their pieces that discounts are not possible?...of course...but far out of my price range...:thumbup1:

happy shopping:001_smile:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
what I am saying is hardly unheard of...in fact its the norm.......I absolutely 100% expect to get a discount off the MSRP whereever i shop.....there are a few Rolex ADs in and around where i will be staying......i will shop around in person.....1000000000000% i will get a discount somewhere....MSRP attitude gets no sale

Well while I agree getting a good discount in the past was the norm, and you still can (on some models), it is changing (quickly), and you are likely not to find the same discounts you did just one or two years ago. Rolex has been clamping down hard on their AD's, and they have been pulling dealerships. In fact a large AD that is in Florida (along with other parts of the country) recently lost their dealership & sold all their Rolex's at 20-40% off to liquidate it all. That removed a good amount of competition in the market to by the way, allowing the other AD's to 'stick to Rolex's wishes'.

Also, the model being sought has a lot to do with it. Looking for a SS 36mm DateJust? You'll probably still be able to get a decent discount. You said you're looking at the 16610. That is a model that's been discontinued for over a year, and has always been a high-value model that got less discounts than many of the other models. I'm shocked a dealer actually still has one, and given he's probably one of the absolute few left with one I'm not surprised he's sticking to full list price. Someone will pay it (I'm surprised someone hasn't already). And I'd give good odds you won't find another in another local store, which removes much of your bargaining power if he has the only one in the area.

if MSRP is all its going to be than they should shutdown all ADS and open boutiques...very simple......
And that's EXACTLY what Rolex (and others) are starting to do - unfortunately.....

Bottom line is I think you're going to find the discounts offered are less than you've been used to in the past, especially in the US where discounts were pretty rampant. It is what it is & unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it. All we can do is buy or not buy.

Good luck in the shopping..... :thumbup1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts