1 - stop rubbing it on that spot
2 - it shouldn't be touching
3 - see a watchsmith for some help

;)

Reactions: Alaskan

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Please do not do this to the rotor, all you are doing is adding grease or dirt from your fingers.

Any vintage watch that old needs a service before wearing it, you have a lovely piece of history in your hand and it needs to be pampered a little.

I have never owned a micro rotor so maybe this sound is normal, like a bumper movement clicks everytime the rotor rocks back and forth and that is normal. The click drives the dog nuts :biggrin:

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure when it was last serviced, I did only pay $28 for it tho. And some people say it's normal for this micro rotor to that but I wasn't sure

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also can't afford to take it to a watchmaker so I guess I will just have to deal with it

·
Registered
470 Posts
I also can't afford to take it to a watchmaker so I guess I will just have to deal with it
It may be a simple fix, but I wouldn't put any more pressure on that spot! Go to a watchmaker and see what he says, and then take it from there.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
But if you don't take it to a watchmaker to have it serviced you will ruin the watch by running it while dirty and unlubricated. If you can't afford the maintenance, you can't afford the _________. (fill in watch, car, or any other mechanical item)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
But if you don't take it to a watchmaker to have it serviced you will ruin the watch by running it while dirty and unlubricated. If you can't afford the maintenance, you can't afford the _________. (fill in watch, car, or any other mechanical item)
Thats kinda cold statement Dennis, especially in todays economy.
I see your point and I would suggest that if man cannot afford to have it serviced at this time he just put it up till he can. I mean thats what these forums are all about a man asking for advise not a put down.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Thats kinda cold statement Dennis, especially in todays economy.
I see your point and I would suggest that if man cannot afford to have it serviced at this time he just put it up till he can. I mean thats what these forums are all about a man asking for advise not a put down.
It was advice. He's toying with that movement and he's going to ruin it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
When I started collecting I just kept buying and did not realise that it was better/safer to get my vintage watches serviced before I wore them. I then joined the forum and through a little reading and with some good advice from our members I was pointed in the correct direction. It took me the best part of a year juggling my finances and my collection to finally get all my watches serviced. Not all of us can afford to send our watches out instantly for servicing after we purchase them so we put them aside in our collection until we get around to getting it sorted.

Servicing costs appear to be much cheaper in the US so why not ask on the forum if someone can recommend a good reasonable watchmaker who is based near you.

One other option that may suit, at $28 you appear to have got a good deal and I bet this watch is worth a bit more so you could take advantage of a possible gain and offer it up for sale or as a trade for something not requiring a service. Have you asked for advice on the Hamilton forum regarding the model and its possible value?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Dennis is spot on about needing to be able to provide the maintenance.

In my case, because I couldn't afford to have watches professionally serviced, I did two things. First, I learned how to do a basic COA. I've brought a number of non-running and 'runs and stops' watches back to useful life. I wouldn't take on a watch that I felt was especially valuable or difficult, though in a fit of madness, I DID COA an Elgin 761 automatic.

Second, I've limited my collecting to watches that are neither very rare, nor very valuable. I collect postwar Elgins, and nobody's going to care if, for example, I replace a 559 from 1942 with one from 1945, because the 1942 one has something wrong with it that I can't fix.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So your saying that because I got a good deal on a watch but can't afford maintenance that I should just let it go? I think what you lack (no pun intended) is the reality thy watches font have feelings. They are pieces of metal. My watchmaker said he wouldn't touch it and it is what it is and not to worry about it. So I appreciate all your feedback and advice but now I'm going to ask for this thread to be locked so it doesn't get to heated. Thanks

Shane

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.