WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first "nice" watch that I've ever bought (other than my Luminox Navy Seal which I wear as a daily watch). Two questions for the forums (for now): 1- Is there a place to learn about the difference watch movements and which ones are the best/better ones? I think mine has the Swiss ETA G10.211. 2- Also, I have the model 5559, but there are 2 or 3 others that I've seen that look identical (color, everything) like the 12025 and the 12016. Is there anywhere to find the differences between these seemingly similar looking models?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to the forums, you can always Google any movement to learn about it and the different movements a company makes. As far as the differences between the three watches you've mentioned. . . not a clue. (But, I may be the wrong person to ask as I don't own any Akula!)

The ETA G10 series is the low end of the ETA watch line, and just so you know everyone has a low end even Ronda. But, you need to understand that a low end ETA or Ronda is not low end at all. These movements are meant to keep good time and to last for many years. Enjoy your new watch!

·
Super Moderator
15,570 Posts
There's a wealth of material out there...if you're a watchmaker. For us neophytes and beginners, not so much. I'm STILL looking for good beginner's books about things like watch movements.
Annual periodicals like WRISTWATCH ANNUAL 2013 and WATCHES INTERNATIONAL

have sections on illustrated movements but tend to have only a few manufacturers and they are hardly comprehensive.
An excellent site for looking up movements is that of Dr. Roland Ranfft. It's about the most comprehensive one you're going to find as far as finding an individual movement is concerned, although the information offered is scant. And again- the beginner may feel overwhelmed at first.
(ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts