WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$116? I asked the seller if maybe the signed buckle was 24k or something, since normally bands like this go for $50 or less and seem to be very plentiful as of late on the Bay. He responded back that this was "vintage, from the 1970's" and suggested that the cheaper ones I had seen earlier were modern reproductions made in China. Really? Seems to me that NOS Accutron parts - whether those that go inside the case or straps - are very plentiful right now. Am I missing something? What would make a vintage strap (no matter how nice) from Accutron really be worth more than $100?

New Unused Vintage Watch Band Strap for Bulova Accutron Crocodile Pattern 17 5mm | eBay

-John

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Some sellers ask pretty high prices for NOS Accutron leather bands. I have also seen some of these as of late on The Bay. For me, that price is on the high side but a serious collector with deep pockets may well buy one to complete the look of their vintage Accutron. Last year I purchased a few NOS Accutron leather bands with the original Bulova signed buckles for $20 or so each. Haven't found deals the same recently but I also haven't been seriously looking. Last year I bought two NOS Accuquartz cases with original leather bands and buckles for about $25 each. Haven't seen anything like those of late, either.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've considered several "Authentic Accutron Signed" Croc and Lizard straps here lately on eBay, but in the end I found it more reasonable to buy a generic (although still brand-name in the modern watch strap business) one for about the same price at the mall and not have to wait on the shipping or do the installation myself. I did see a while back where "solid gold" (or 18k or whatever) Accutron signed buckles went for a pretty price (just the buckles) online - maybe $50 or 60...but just the regular signed strap? I guess I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe those other straps for $40 or so are "modern reproductions" from China. I can see faking something Rolex or Tag or Patek or what have you in China, but vintage Accutron? Nothing against the watches we love, but I didn't think they were in that high of demand to where they would be faked in China. That seller's eBay handle was "hidollarhorology". High Dollar indeed!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Until he wised up, I could buy those old straps and bands from a local jeweler for $5 or $10. I starter shopping jewelry stores in small towns as I traveled the high, wide and lonesome from Texas to Montana. I must have spent hundreds for gas and came up with zip. I'd rather spent a few bucks with the boys from Freeman, Missouri and save the gas money for more important things.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I really haven't gotten into a study of buckles and straps, still trying to figure out the watches, but there have been various references to Chinese made Accutron buckles.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
There is an eBay seller who sells modern fake Accutron signed leather bands with fake tuning fork buckles. I have one. The problem is, he doesn't say they are repros - at least he didn't last year when I purchased one. The buckle quality is poor. I have a few Accutrons with original metal bands and a couple of Accuquartz watches I outfitted with NOS leather bands I described above. Otherwise, I buy a nice, but not expensive, leather band. I have sought out tuning fork logo buckles for all my 214s and Bulova signed buckles for the other calibers of Accutrons for all but a couple watches. None solid gold - either SS or GP. Buckles and watch boxes are a thing with me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is an eBay seller who sells modern fake Accutron signed leather bands with fake tuning fork buckles.
I was not aware of this, I was assuming the ones I saw out there were all genuine. I nearly pulled the trigger on a nice dark brown teju strap with the Accutron signed buckle for around $40, but in the end wound up getting a lighter brown non-Accutron one locally.

So maybe higher prices are justified, but I would still have hard time paying $100 for a strap.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
There are actually two guys from Freeman, Missouri, a small town south of Kansas City, selling watch bands on eBay. They are the "American Pickers" of watch bands. Tony is very knowledgeable on the subject and gave me some insight into history of makers of bands often seen on Accutron watches. From what he had to say, I can see the justification for the price difference between those made with ordinary straight or curved end links and those that were made to fit the "B" case Accutrons exactly. Many large coffin link bands made in Hong Kong and sold on eBay to fit the Astronaut have end links that protrude too much towards the case for the spring pin to install. Tony told me that those that were original to the Astronauts had curved end links much like the bullet bands with tabs that angled down to fit under the case. Tony currently has a band listed (251202267243) for $320.99 that he believes would fit an Astronaut but he doesn't own an Astronaut to check the fit. As knowledgeable as he is, I have my doubts only because I have never seen one of the curved end coffin link bands on an Astronaut and good photos of the end links don't exist. The coffin link variety seem to have been common on early Astronauts as seen in Bulova advertising of the day but were phased out in favor of the bullet type after just a year or two. I am almost certain that my M4 Astronaut came with a large coffin link band but did the original have straight or curved ends? $320.99 is a lot to spend without knowing more.
If any of you reading this have a U.S. made large coffin link band made by Kreisler Stelux that has the curved ends, it would be helpful to see some photos showing how if fits the Astronaut "B" case.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I was not aware of this, I was assuming the ones I saw out there were all genuine. I nearly pulled the trigger on a nice dark brown teju strap with the Accutron signed buckle for around $40, but in the end wound up getting a lighter brown non-Accutron one locally.

So maybe higher prices are justified, but I would still have hard time paying $100 for a strap.
The seller's name is "Starfinding". Below is a link to all his Accutron offerings. It is kind if nice to be able to get a newly made band with Accutron printed on the inside but the seller still does not disclose it is a repro. The buckle quality is only average. Mine is supposedly SS but it tarnishes - cheap SS! If you compare the buckles side by side you can see the casting is poor with imperfections. Details found on an original just aren't there on the repro. Look between the tines of the tuning fork on an original buckle and you will see graining. it isnt there on the repro. Prices are good for the band and buckle so its not all bad. Unfortunately, some folks, not knowledgeable, would assume it is the real thing and the watch may later be sold with the description indicating original Bulova Accutron band and buckle.

Accutron from starfinding | eBay

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Aw doggone it Accutron, I wish you'd quit showing that watch and bracelet. Every time you do that I have to run get a towel to wipe the drool from the keyboard.

I have only one coffin link bracelet, it came on a nearly NOS Astronaut, it says Kreisler Stelux in one link of the clasp and it has straight ends. I always assumed that it was genuine but now you have me wondering.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The one in the pic is a authentic large coffin link but with straight ends. The one to watch for has curved ends with the accutron logo riveted to the clasp. I think the logo is also gold plated. Skypilot I am a sucker for the Swiss versions and hope to have one of each model in my collection at some point, but I sometimes wait years watching ebay for a nice restorable example. But I do have patience lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.