WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To repair - if so suggestions as to what dealer will be appreciated as will any guess on cost.

To sell in present condition ?? Any thoughts on price ?

To repair and then sell - cost of repair guess and sales price.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1962 I was in Hong Kong - courtesy of the US Navy (Submarine Service) and bought this Omega through the Navy Exchange.

Dial as printed from top down: Omega, Automatic, Seamaster and has 'date' window. Back of watch: Seamaster logo and seahorse. Additionally I had my initials and my last name engraved. Also had "1962" engraed.......the year I bought the watch.

General condition: I had worn the watch for about twenty years but broke the crystal and that caused me to put the watch away. (Didn't know the watch would be put away for thirty plus years !!) Case looks fine and even the face looks decent though cleaning/replacing is probably in order after 51 years. Watch band is a replacement. The watch was running when put away but no longer runs.

Any thoughts/advice will be appreciated.

Wart

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Hi Wart,

Pictures, pictures, pictures!!! That alone will always help in anyone being able to give you good advice, to say nothing of allowing us to enjoy seeing a watch with a storied past.

General service for a watch of that age will run a couple/few hundred depending on parts etc. Anything else I say would be speculative and would not give you an accurate assessment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guy and I'll get some pics soonest.

That watch made the first Polaris missile patrol in the Pacific.......we left Guam 24 December 1964 after pulling an end run round the Soviet trawler waiting for us to go. The watch and I made our last patrol February 1965 on a nuclear fast attack. That patrol was worthy of a 'last'. Had a guy go nuts - a good guy - had to pull off station and off-load him to a tug near Adak, Alaska. Went back on station and the next day (0400) we intercepted our primary target. The only time in my seven year career we had a courier and plane waiting to ferry our intelligence take to DC when we got back to Pearl.

Sorry to bore. Now I'm old, 72, but still occasionally like to look back and think maybe I helped do some good for our country.

Wart

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Thanks guy and I'll get some pics soonest.

That watch made the first Polaris missile patrol in the Pacific.......we left Guam 24 December 1964 after pulling an end run round the Soviet trawler waiting for us to go. The watch and I made our last patrol February 1965 on a nuclear fast attack. That patrol was worthy of a 'last'. Had a guy go nuts - a good guy - had to pull off station and off-load him to a tug near Adak, Alaska. Went back on station and the next day (0400) we intercepted our primary target. The only time in my seven year career we had a courier and plane waiting to ferry our intelligence take to DC when we got back to Pearl.

Sorry to bore. Now I'm old, 72, but still occasionally like to look back and think maybe I helped do some good for our country.

Wart
Bore!?!?! Hardly. That is some really cool stuff to hear about, and it sets quite a stage for the watch. I think you should restore it no matter what, personally. With a history like that, you'd be crazy not to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.