WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered whether anyone could give me a rough age on these watches. The first one has Rolex Oyster Perpetual on it and has 47821 and 3064 stamped on the back.

The little one has 32871 stamped on the back.

Watch Brown Analog watch Photograph White

Light Camera accessory Font Watch Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Electric blue

Material property Nickel Font Wood Gas

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Some info...

The 47821 was produced around 1930's-40's we call this type a bubble back era watch. This nomenclature was applied because of the bubble shaped case back.

The 32871 is from the WWI era or trench war watch. Many believe that this example was genuinely the first water proof watch. Notice the early screw down crown and crown tube and no spring bar but welded to the case lugs bar for strap use . Very historically rare military watch in my opinion.

Arthur

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually Arthur, on re-reading your message, I am a bit confused. The first watch has 47821 and 3064 stamped on the back, so that makes it the bubble back "historically rare military watch".

And the little black faced watch, which has 32871 stamped on the case back is .... ?

The black faced one is my favourite, and suitable for a female wrist - so, could you also advise me where best to get a suitable (time appropriate) strap for it?

Many thanks. Angie

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Actually Arthur, on re-reading your message, I am a bit confused. The first watch has 47821 and 3064 stamped on the back, so that makes it the bubble back "historically rare military watch".

And the little black faced watch, which has 32871 stamped on the case back is .... ?

The black faced one is my favourite, and suitable for a female wrist - so, could you also advise me where best to get a suitable (time appropriate) strap for it?

Many thanks. Angie
What I intended to say was that the referance 32871 was the mil watch...."historically rare military watch"with fixed lugs..

Art

·
Registered
28 Posts
Angie - if you haven't already considered this, I would suggest sending the watch you intend to wear to get inspected and serviced prior to daily use. Bob Ridley and Rik (at Timecare) have excellent reputations for this kind of work. There are others as well, I'm sure, that are capable but these are the two independents that I am most familiar with and would not hesitate allowing them to work on any watch.

For something as old as the 32871, with as much historical significance as it has, and not knowing the servicing history of the watch, it would be good to know what kind of condition it is in so as not to damage the internals. And, once Bob or Rik have finished with it, the comfort that you'll have of wearing a properly serviced timepiece that will give years of reliable operation is priceless.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is actually only partially correct.

The 3064 is from the 1930's and is the sub seconds version of the 3065 known as the hooded bubbleback. This a very early example as noted by the serial number and also the original dial with ROLEX OYSTER on one line...no crown and perpetual below. The 3064 and 3065 are always steel and gold or solid gold. All steel hooded bubblebacks carry the reference 3599 and are always sub seconds. The 3064 is less common than the 3065.

I would venture the other watch is certainly not wwI era, as it is a full oyster case and this was not introduced until 1926. It is a very rare example in that it is a very small cased watch but uses the Large Barrel crown and tube...it could have originally been fitted with the onion style and been replaced as those were phased out. Both watches are extremely original and feature original dials. They are uncommon references.

The 3064 is from about 1935 and the small oyster with no reference would be from about 1928. I specialize in the restoration and care of these watches if you would like more information or you would like them put back in working order I would be most happy to assist you. You can email me at [email protected]

They are very nice watches.

Tommy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here are a few 3065's that I have owned and or restored.

The first was purchased new by my father in 1949. I have the original guarantee and timing certificate and hang tags. Shown on an NOS 40's Rolex strap with his original tang buckle.

Next is a 6065 which is the same reference only slightly later featuring the "super oyster" non screw down crown. This was a rare retailer dialed watch I restored and sold.

Third is a 3065 with a very rare dial that I did for another forum member last year.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Here are a few 3065's that I have owned and or restored.

The first was purchased new by my father in 1949. I have the original guarantee and timing certificate and hang tags. Shown on an NOS 40's Rolex strap with his original tang buckle.

Next is a 6065 which is the same reference only slightly later featuring the "super oyster" non screw down crown. This was a rare retailer dialed watch I restored and sold.

Third is a 3065 with a very rare dial that I did for another forum member last year.

Very neat BB's..and an important part of Rolex history.. :001_tt1:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am very interested in the little oyster....

I thought I had a picture of that same reference but I do not on second look. Very possibly the reference number is on the inside of the caseback but it also might not be. Nothing is consistent with Rolex in the early days. Angie could we possibly have some side views of the case? The case is very similar in size and shape to an "Egyptian" model excepting that instead of hooded lugs it has wire lugs. The bezel is similar and the back is similar. Do you see any indication that something else might have been attached where the lugs are?

Can you give a size in MM to the case body without the crown?

Also could you try to capture what the dial says below the 6 o'clock marker. Fab En Suisse or? These early dials often say very different things than the standard SWISS MADE like your 3064.

Here is an "egyptian" that I used to own, albeit a slightly different brand marketed by the founder of Rolex himself. This watch is now in the Rolex museum in Geneva.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For clarification I was not suggesting anything had been changed about your watch but rather just curious if there was any indication that there might have been. It seems that Rolex used similar case "bodies" in the early days and attached different lugs to them. The interesting thing is ... I have a case like this...that is missing the lugs. I will have to look again but it doesn't appear that the lugs were "egyptian" style so I may in fact have a case just like yours that the wire lugs have broken off of. I will pick it up at the shop and photograph it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.