WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself oddly attracted to this odd little Swiss outfit. They don't seem that popular, you can pick up many of their watches for not a lot of Euro, but I like the style and apparent quality of many of their range.

Two that appeal in particular are :

The Steel Diplomatic:

The Gold Aerodyn:

I'm not worried about these becoming collectors items, I like them because they are individual and a little eccentric. Unfortunately I can't find out much apart from some limited stuff on the internet.

I'd be grateful for feedback from the collective as to D&S as a watchmaker before I commit to either on the used market.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Sold them for just over 3 years and for the most part, like them. Downside side, just way too
pricey for what you got and the QC was sometimes spotty. Sent about 4 back with dust under
the crystal. Many just didn't have the right 'feel', had one customer gripe that they felt too light
and cheap. Their big plus is their 'look', the Spiral One really sets them apart from the heard.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like their designs but echo what was stated above. Vastly overpriced. My favorites are the Aquadyn and Caprice Vintage.

·
Banned
149 Posts
Dear Structure.

Both GLADIATOR (aka Adam) and I own Dubey and Schaldenbrand watches, indeed Adam has 5 models, including the Diplomat which you posted. That and all Dubey Watches are in both Adam and my opinion outstanding looking and great value for money.

We are both privileged to know Mme Cinette Robert very well. You may like to look here:
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/55864.htm

Good luck if you can find an Aerodyn Trophee. That would be an outstanding watch, as only 175 pieces were made using a original 1930 movement. For this watch Mme Robert was awarded the Merit of Development of watchmaking tradition in 2004.
It uses an ultra rare caliber Aurore 19 from the 1930s.
The Aurore 19 is the first tonneau-shaped movement with a directly propelled, center-mounted seconds hand.
I understand that Mr Dubey, by 2004 a very old man, helped Mme Robert accomplish this amazing and very collectible watch.

Ike

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
D&S was started around 1946 by the two gentlemen whose names appear on the dial. The company was purchased in 1995 by Cinette Robert, who had previously worked for other companies, Matthey-Tissot being the most well-known. She is very involved in both the the watch design and business aspects of the company.

D&S watches are extremely well-built, and they pay very close attention to details. Compared to the indusrty giants, they put out a relatively small quantity each year which is why you won't see them "everywhere". Also, they really don't advertise- about the only way you'll see D&S in print is in the watch magazines and annuals.

Go ahead and pull the trigger. Any opportunity to own a Dubey & Schaldenbrand should not be passed up, and any model you own will be money very well spent.

p.s. You get extra credit for appreciating a luxury watch for its looks rather than because of who made it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, the knowledgable feedback has been much appreciated.

There are a couple of used mint Aerochronos up for sale at the moment, I particularly like the white:

Time to haggle..

·
Banned
149 Posts
D&S was started around 1946 by the two gentlemen whose names appear on the dial. The company was purchased in 1995 by Cinette Robert, who had previously worked for other companies, Matthey-Tissot being the most well-known. She is very involved in both the the watch design and business aspects of the company.

D&S watches are extremely well-built, and they pay very close attention to details. Compared to the indusrty giants, they put out a relatively small quantity each year which is why you won't see them "everywhere". Also, they really don't advertise- about the only way you'll see D&S in print is in the watch magazines and annuals.

Go ahead and pull the trigger. Any opportunity to own a Dubey & Schaldenbrand should not be passed up, and any model you own will be money very well spent.

p.s. You get extra credit for appreciating a luxury watch for its looks rather than because of who made it!
Dear CometHunter
I and Adam basically agree all your comments and sentiments, it is a very excellent manufacturer. Watch looks, feels like a Franck Muller, but at a fraction of the price.

I wanted to add, that Mme Cinette Robert sold the company some 2 yrs ago, and really now is no longer involved.

Ike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After due consideration..

my favorite is the Carre Cambre Caprice. Reminds me of a French bar for some raison. This one is with Proworth:

I really do like this watch. Is the price in the right ball park (at US7100)?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
:sad: One of the features I didn't like were those big hairy power reserves.
my favorite is the Carre Cambre Caprice. Reminds me of a French bar for some raison. This one is with Proworth:

I really do like this watch. Is the price in the right ball park (at US7100)?

·
Banned
149 Posts
You have a point..

I do like the Art Nouveau dial though. The Diplomatic face is better on reflection.
Hi Structure
Do not be put off. Both are outstanding on. I have the one with the power reserve and Adam has the Diplomat.
The Diplomat is very, very cool with dual time and date.

But both really look great. Adam has the GMT Sonnerie, The Astro Chrono, Spiro-Verso VIP and Index-Mobile!.

One other point, Adam always advises you try the watch on your wrist, some times a watch you think looks great becomes disappointing when you actually try it on.

Let us know, what you choose

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Ike

After a week of trawling the web, I currently favour the Dubey Ltd Edition.

Something about the curvature and aesthetic balance just seems right to me. I've made an offer for one like this (as new, boxed, papers):

·
Banned
149 Posts
Thanks Ike

After a week of trawling the web, I currently favour the Dubey Ltd Edition.

Something about the curvature and aesthetic balance just seems right to me. I've made an offer for one like this (as new, boxed, papers):

Hi Structure.
That shape is Mme Robert classic design, note the way she hides the strap link different to Franck Muller. Adam (GLADIATOR) has the [email protected] Sonnerie GMT, and Gran Astro Sport both in the shape you like above.
He loves them, and wears them with great pride.

Enjoy and stay in touch, if you win it.

Ike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts