WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My minute repeater is currently at Patek Philippe. In a few weeks they'll tell me how much it will cost to get it working. The movement needs a complete cleaning, something I definitely want done. I can't wait to hear the chimes for the first time. Another problem is a scratch on the dial. My photos aren't great, but the scratch is fairly obvious. It starts at the "3" and crosses down to the subdial. Unlike hairline cracks the scratch is much wider. I'd like some opinions on dial repair of this type done by Patek. Since the watch is an antique, the repairs will be done in Geneva. I never intend to sell it, but I'll bequeath it to an heir. Personally, I'd like to see the dial repaired. However, I don't want to do something that could adversely affect the value of the watch. The other photo shows an engraving of "1886" on the back case. It was made in 1884, but purchased in 1886.

Watch Brown Analog watch Wood Clock
Badge Jewellery Electric blue Symbol Metal

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
If you intend to keep in the family for generations, I would not worry about the monetary value aspects.
In my opinion - on a watch like this, It would not decrease the value anyway. On the other hand,
prepare to pay quite a bit for them to repair/restore the dial. Not easy to see from your photos, but it
looks like it is a porcelain dial - VERY hard to work with and expensive to repair/replace.

Best of luck. It is a beautiful piece and we are looking forward to see some pictures when it
comes home 'from the spa'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks WatchFan,
Yes, it's enamel. When I described the damage to the Patek service center in New York I was told it wouldn't be a problem to fix. The real problem, as you said, will be the cost.
After being used on a daily basis by my great-grandfather for over thirty years, the watch was put away in the 1920's when he died and never used again. For all I know it may still have the original oil in the movement which would explain why it's all gunked up and doesn't work. My family, obviously, didn't follow Patek's service advice to have it cleaned every five to seven years. Apparently, we decided on the less popular "once a century" service plan.
Thanks for your comment. When I get it back, I'll post a video with audio of the chimes. From what I've been told, that may be several years from now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.