WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Recently I saw a Spaceview at dealer and was caught by its unique looks. Some googling about the Accutron movement made me even more interested and I am considering buying it.

Surfing the web I also found this forum of dedicated Spaceview aficionados and would like to ask for your advice about whether this watch is made as a Spaceview or a later conversion? I prefer knowing what I buy...

It is marked M7 = 1967.

Many thanks for your help!

Accutron Spaceview.jpg

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Just got home and leaving again so haven't had any time to research but it appears to me that it might be an authentic Swiss made Spaceview. Did you by any chance get the serial number ?
The experts will be coming.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
A case number would make for better identification but without it, the crystal appears to be a 319-AYS. That crystal was original to two cases as far as I know. 316-7 and 319-1 are the possibilities. That is a nice looking Spaceview but unless the watch is priced ridiculously low, I wouldn't consider making a purchase without knowing the number stamped on the inside of the case back.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks to be authentic to me. A tell is the lack of luminous markers at 3,6,9,&12. Although i cannot be sure until i see a pic of the case back both inside and out

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wrong hands, wrong crystal, wrong chapter ring, hacking spring shouldn't be there...

My money is that is a conversion not original.. I call it 'fake' but I've seen some horrible conversions, that one is not bad just not correct.

Welcome to the site

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wrong hands, wrong crystal, wrong chapter ring, hacking spring shouldn't be there...

My money is that is a conversion not original.. I call it 'fake' but I've seen some horrible conversions, that one is not bad just not correct.

Welcome to the site
That watch is right on for a Swiss Chapter Ring Spaceview. They had hands that matched the case color. that chapter ring is correct for a Swiss Chapter ring Spaceview and the hack spring should be there as it was on all Swiss Models. here is the Stainless Steel equivalent

·
Registered
128 Posts
I disagree, the chapter ring (OP picture) is a modern replica, if you see carefully the luminous markers are printed not painted (the were hand painted back in the day), my converted spaceview actually on the wrist as I type this have the exact same one and the exact replica crystal too, the original has more yellowish hue on the glass markers.
There is no way a gray/silver assembly came out as a spaceview on a gold plated and gold plated hands..

Remember that over the years many clock makers fixed/replaced/cleaned the once original spaceviews with aftermarket parts.. In their view they were the same..

In my opinion is not aesthetically correct and I don't recall ever see a real space view in that combo.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That chapter ring is not a reproduction, neither is the crystal. There are no reproduction Swiss Chapter rings being made that I am aware of. All spaceviews had nickle colored pillar plates prior to 1969 ...every one of them. Here is a pic from the bulova catalog with the same watch as the OP and below is a comparison of real Bulova and reproduction crystals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the information!
I fear that watches have a potent poisonous affect... I might already be addicted...

The Spaceview was up for auction in Stockholm, Sweden today. Living in Gothenburg I did not have the opportunity examining the watch in real life. I was outbidded and the final total ended at SEK 4 320 (=USD 634) commission included. The movement is alive but nothing could be stated about accuracy.

This Spaceview will not sit on my arm but hopefully it has found a home at another enthusiast!

Kaplans Auktioner

See you around!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Sorry you didn't get it but that price sounds a little high to me unless it was solid gold.
The right one for you will show up.
I'm glad you found us and hope you come back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I put money that ring is repro (I have a watch with each and you can buy them on ebay) and I'm not convinced about the crystal but that is just my opinion.
I had never noticed that gold/silver combo before.. as they say, you learn something new every day! And I learned that today.

Thanks for your input
Gaspar

That chapter ring is not a reproduction, neither is the crystal. There are no reproduction Swiss Chapter rings being made that I am aware of. All spaceviews had nickle colored pillar plates prior to 1969 ...every one of them. Here is a pic from the bulova catalog with the same watch as the OP and below is a comparison of real Bulova and reproduction crystals.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Could you put up some item numbers and or links to the auctions for those reproduction chapter rings? I've never seen them and am curious to check them out

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, if I come across I will let you know.
One way to tell if they're original is the luminescence, if it's good then you know is a reproduction and if it fades almost instantly is original. The radioactivity in the paint has fainted over the last ~40 years or whenever Bulova stopped manufacturing parts for spaceviews.
The conversion I have on my wrist is beautiful cause it has a new ring and crystal so it looks new and "modern" (this one has 99% of wrist time) and believe me is noticeable the difference of the original to a reproduction (not including the patina).

Could you put up some item numbers and or links to the auctions for those reproduction chapter rings? I've never seen them and am curious to check them out

·
Registered
33 Posts
One way to tell if they're original is the luminescence, if it's good then you know is a reproduction and if it fades almost instantly is original. The radioactivity in the paint has fainted over the last ~40 years or whenever Bulova stopped manufacturing parts for spaceviews.
As I understand it, Accutrons did not use radioactive paint.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
As I understand it, Accutrons did not use radioactive paint.
I don't know about Bulova but this type of paint was still being used on watches & clocks up into the mid-sixties, maybe even later. I couldn't find a firm date for it's legal discontinuance. When I taught HS Bio, I had an old travel alarm that had this paint on the dial & hands. Since our school was a Civil Defense shelter, we also had geiger counters. I would show the class the travel clock and wave the geiger counter over it to display the radiation emitted. During our lessons about radiation, I would teach about the "Radium Girls" and the effects on them. Also, men who wore pocket watches in the watch pocket were known to receive skin radiation burns because they would turn the watch so the face was toward their body for protection against breakage.

Since the radiation in this paint had a pretty long half-life, I don't believe Bulova used it on Accutrons, either, or the dial and hands would still be actively glowing! :scared:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Since the radiation in this paint had a pretty long half-life, I don't believe Bulova used it on Accutrons, Either or the dial and hands would still be actively glowing!
Although, radium or promethium was used on some watch and clock dials and hands well into the '60s, the luminescent paint used on Accutron watches had no radioactive component. Strontium aluminate was most likely the active element.

·
Banned
2,685 Posts
For sure a swiss spaceview and looks correct, I've never seen swiss repo chapter rings anywhere just NOS rings as swiss chapter rings would be very difficult to reproduce and that's one of the reason I like them so much.

"Accutrons did not use radioactive paint" awww but they did and you can tell by the letter "T" by the swiss hallmark on the dial under the 6 o'clock marker.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts