WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequent a different forum usually, but this seems to be the place for all things Lum-Tec. I took in a M23 on trade a couple of weeks ago and made a big mistake over the weekend. Without realizing the issues with the bracelet on these tungsten watches (have gone through that thread now), I managed to break off a lug on the watch.

Lum-Tec customer support has been very helpful, but I have two options and don't know which to pursue:

1) I can pay $575 for a new Tungsten case, which are currently on order, or

2) I can pay $275 to have it fitted into a stainless case (plus $135 for a stainless bracelet)

Either way, I hope to have them remove the outer AR as this watch looked purple in some lighting. But I am really in a quandary as to what to do. The tungsten is cool, but I am a little nervous about breaking it again in the future. Is there a market for tungsten bracelets, as I would have one (if I went the stainless route) that would not be used?

Totally my fault, as we all take on risk when sizing our watches, I just never expected to be able to do this damage by hand with what I would consider little pressure.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was thinking what I would do if this happened to either my M20 or M26, when I consider that they are out of production and the ETA mech. is really hard to get, I guess I would replace the case.
But that is a heavy cost, but it helps us to value our tungsten's, if just the basic case is worth that, thankfully I don't use the metal bracelets, not as comfy as leather.

Sorry for your problem, I know Lumtec will work with you.
I am wondering if one of those new Cobalt cases would house that ETA unit, but that would be even more $, even if it did work, but you would have a unique piece

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the Cobalt idea crossed my mind too as it would be the best of both worlds (in a way). I wouldn't mind being a test subject for a demo case (hint hint).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Funny I was thinking exactly the same thing on reading your opening post, a Cobalt case might be worth waiting for if not too far off. Out of the two other options only the first one of replacing with another tungsten case is the wise one in my eyes, your only saving $165 going the S/S route and your watch won't be as desirable to potential customers or to yourself either because you originally bought it because of its case and looks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took it in on trade and we agreed to put a value of 750/800 on this watch (cannot remember how we divided the values of the two watches). Now I have no idea. I like everything about this watch but I get a purple vibe from the dial and really do not like purple, which makes me scared of spening $575 on a new tungsten case if I still cannot get over the purple tinting.

first question I would ask is what is the value (i.e. what do you think the trade cost you in $)?

I see its still on other forum for trade.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I took it in on trade and we agreed to put a value of 750/800 on this watch (cannot remember how we divided the values of the two watches). Now I have no idea. I like everything about this watch but I get a purple vibe from the dial and really do not like purple, which makes me scared of spening $575 on a new tungsten case if I still cannot get over the purple tinting.
Reason I asked is because my "brain" does not work the same as some ..... lol So cheapest way for you to fix is spend another $275 to put in stainless case at which point maybe you could get $500-$600? I think I would see if I could get say $255-$300 on other forum as-is and state there cost to fix... and walk away... I'm sure others here will chime in.
and see if you can sell the bracelet!

·
Registered
739 Posts
The purple hue can be dealt with rather easily. LT can remove it at their shop for a small fee ($35 IIRC?) or you can remove it yourself. I removed the top layer AR coating from my M25 and M22 myself without any trouble at all. Doing so got rid of the majority of the purple hue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I worry a little about putting it back in a tungsten case since I now understand (painfully) that it is brittle. I could go the total opposite direction and see if they will put it in a PVD case, go from very shiny to very matte.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Switch to either S/S or PVD will de-value your investment IMO, you'll end up with a hybrid of sorts. Lets look at what you had with the M23, its got the most desirable of cases, the most desirable of movements and Chris has already stated that no more tungsten watches will be produced.

IMO you've really two options open, either cough up the $575 (painful I know) and be a bit more careful in future but gain arguably one of Lumtec's best examples or cut your loses and sell it as is to someone else which would allow you to either chose a new normal M-series or something completely different like a 300M.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I worry a little about putting it back in a tungsten case since I now understand (painfully) that it is brittle. I could go the total opposite direction and see if they will put it in a PVD case, go from very shiny to very matte.
Yours is only the third M series tungsten watch I've heard of with a broken lug, and one of those was from being dropped so I think this is pretty rare. I'd get it put back in the tungsten case again personally. The watch will have more value that way.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yours is only the third M series tungsten watch I've heard of with a broken lug, and one of those was from being dropped so I think this is pretty rare. I'd get it put back in the tungsten case again personally. The watch will have more value that way.
Call me curious... what would the value then be? Maybe I answered my own question ..last one sold on ebay in October went for $900 with bracelet - 1 day shipping - ebay fees. It also had a sapphire caseback.

Based on that (unless you really love the watch and look), I would sell it for "scrap" and walk away.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I had a dial from a stainless steel M38 put in a tungsten case, but I don't see the logic in going the other direction other than to save some $ on the replacement. IMO the tungsten case is what makes the watch special..

Reactions: Luminated

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd get the tungsten case, as that's how it was originally made and having changed straps on my M6 for COUNTLESS times without any damage to the case, you might have a little more luck on the next one.

Oh, and ask for a clear AR coating on the crystal. That would solve the problem with the purple hue.

Cheers,

Marc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sent it back in today to be put into a new tungsten case (when they get them from their suppliers) and have at least the top AR coating removed. They said that they could also remove the inner AR coating if I wanted. Is there any reason to keep the AR coating (never seen before after for the inner coating to know of it makes a difference).

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I'd leave the inner AR coating as is. It works to prevent glare and you won't get as much of the purple hue with just the inner coating.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Oh, and ask for a clear AR coating on the crystal. That would solve the problem with the purple hue.
I don't think LT has any sapphire crystals with the clear or clearer AR coating that will fit the M Tungsten case. Best they can do is remove both inner and outer layers of the AR coating on an existing M Tungsten crystal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.