WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Forum Members,

We have uncovered about 24 watches from my great-grandfather's store and are trying to determine the best avenue for selling them. I would greatly appreciate your insight.

The bulk of the watches are Elgin and Hamilton, both men's and ladies'. They are in their original cases inside the retailers boxes with price tags, manufacturer's labels, and many also have the original guarantee paperwork. Some are gold fill and others are gold plate. The original retail prices range from $39-$100. Please see the photos below for just a sample of what we have.

In addition, there are some loose watch parts and a few railroad pocket watches.

Thanks in advance your help!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
GULFPORT!!!!! That's what that model's called!!! Thanks!

There's a seller's forum here, but I think you have to pay a small membership fee to post there.

Ebay will put your items before the widest audience, though, no question. The watches you've got there are over 50 years old. NOS watches that old bring a really good price on Ebay, so in your shoes, that's where I'd go.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Please be careful with this thread, the perception should be assistance with selling this item, not selling them. I would like to see you become a stainless steel member here and you can list them for sale and our fine forum can collect on them.

It is a great collection!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for your caution. We are interested in LEARNING about how to sell them, but we are not attempting to sell them in this thread. As you might have guessed from the number of items, my great-grandfather was a watchmaker, so we would love for them to end up in the hands of someone with genuine interest. Several items were sold off a few decades ago by my grandfather and this is what was remaining.

I have noticed from scoping the internet that some of the models we have are not well recorded on review sites. I'd like to share pictures and information for anyone interested. This website seems to keep a visual catalog. Do you know if they are still active? Do you have other suggestions of review sites that might be interested in model information from this era? We'd be happy to share the information we have.

We are in the process of taking all the pictures today and I have just made a list of what we have. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I had to remove the non-sponsor link from the post, but as Doug (the first gentleman who responded) says, eBay will put your watches in the running with the most people. Some scrap, some destroy, some adore. It all depends on who buys.

Specified buyers like on our forum would give you the best opportunity to guarantee a good home. eBay on a $1.00 auction would probably generate the most revenue; with higher fees.

I hope this gives you some help. We have an extremely informed Hamilton, and Elgin team on board in this forum so any and all questions about the watches could assuredly be answered!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I would also post some of your Hamilton images and info over on the Hamilton forum. All Hamilton collectors are welcome and post there but, the following there is weighted, at this point, toward many who collect the era your watches represent.

We would all appreciate good photos of the models that could be added to the image catalog that DaveMc has set up over there and is linked to from this forum.

We who collect the vintage watches are always excited to see the original paperwork, guarantees, and packaging that came with these watches. And, we like to drool over images of the actual watches themselves.

If you intend to sell what you have, one course would be to do some research on Ebay and other sites to find your value then, buy a membership here and sell. But, Ebay will put your items in front of the most people. But, here on WTF, everyone is a watch collector and appreciates what you are offering.

You have what constitutes a great time capsule of info and relics! Be sure you don't want to keep some in the family. They don't make them "new" like that anymore!:thumbup1:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Are your railroad pocket watches NOS?

If so, I'd be very interested in learning details on them-specifically any box labels and other paperwork you have. There's a lot of continued research in this aspect of collecting, and original box labels(especially if with the original watch) are a very valuable resource.

·
Super Moderator
15,490 Posts
Hello camner, and welcome.
Regardless of what you do, I personally invite you to share photos of your pieces with us. I can actually sense several members vibrating with anticipation. :001_tt1:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there,

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. :biggrin:

In reference to the above question, the railroad pocket watches are not NOS. We will look through to see if there is any loose paperwork for you, but I didn't see anything yesterday. They may have been items my great-grandfather acquired or someone left in his shop for repair.

We starting taking photos last night, so we'll try to get them up sometime this weekend for everyone. Just a forewarning, there are a limited number of men's watches. Most are ladies' and I've heard that you all may drool (as Indyago put it) less over them. I hope that what we have still is of enough interest to share!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. :biggrin:

In reference to the above question, the railroad pocket watches are not NOS. We will look through to see if there is any loose paperwork for you, but I didn't see anything yesterday. They may have been items my great-grandfather acquired or someone left in his shop for repair.

We starting taking photos last night, so we'll try to get them up sometime this weekend for everyone. Just a forewarning, there are a limited number of men's watches. Most are ladies' and I've heard that you all may drool (as Indyago put it) less over them. I hope that what we have still is of enough interest to share!
Camner,

I assure you there are enough ladies here that will also do some drooling too!

Regardless of the gender of the watches, we all enjoy seeing something new as it pops up.

Reactions: CometHunter
1 - 11 of 11 Posts