WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have just discovered this forum, so forgive me if I posted my question in wrong place.

Does anybody knows if this case back is snap off back or screw off back?
The watch is Eterna Sonic Electronic from seventies. Model is probably 160TO.

Thanks!
Watch Gadget Rim Watch accessory Automotive design
Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Font

· Super Moderator
17,208 Posts
From looking at photo #1 I'd have to say it's a snap off / pop off back. Lids that screw off will have usually 6 equally spaced notches or raised knurling to accept a case back wrench.
Gas Machine Auto part Metal Electric blue
Watch Analog watch Silver Rectangle Clock

Somewhere around the lid you should see a miniscule gap that allows the insertion of the blade of a case knife.

• Helpful
Reactions: BunkerBoy

· Administrator
7,662 Posts
Hard to be sure from those photos but I'm inclined to think that its a snap back case. As CometHunter noted though, there should be some sort of indentation or notch etc where you're able to use the tool to remove it. That said, it may also be one of those watches where the movement comes out the front which requires removal of the front bezel but I'd explore the back exit first.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From looking at photo #1 I'd have to say it's a snap off / pop off back. Lids that screw off will have usually 6 equally spaced notches or raised knurling to accept a case back wrench.
View attachment 233688 View attachment 233689

Somewhere around the lid you should see a miniscule gap that allows the insertion of the blade of a case knife.
Thanks for answer! The cap doesn't have any gap for easier inserting of the knife. I have tried (very hard) to open it with a knife, but the result is that I only slightly damaging the edge of the cap. I have seen pictures of open cases of this watch, but still can't resemble which type of case it is. And my watch is in pretty good condition, so it would be shame to destroy it.
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Font
Automotive lighting Font Tableware Rim Automotive fog light

Here are two pictures I found on the net of the same series watches.
BR!

· Super Moderator
17,208 Posts
I had a quartz watch like that. My problem was getting the back snapped into place. The fit was so tight, I was helpless. I took it to my watch guy, and so help me...he needed to use an arbor press to snap the lid back on!
Machine Nickel Metal Composite material Titanium

Needless to say, I no longer own that devil's spawn of a watch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts