WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Datejust that I bought in 2010 with the very helpful advice of people on this forum (thanks!). The two-year warranty is about to expire next week, and I'm wondering if there's any covered service I should be thinking about before it does?

The watch is in good shape except that it consistently runs about 10 seconds fast per day. This is more than the -4/+6 COSC standard. Do you know if adjustment would be covered by the warranty, or if not about how much that should cost?

Also, do you know if checking the water-tight seals would be covered, or if not about how much that should cost?

Thanks very much! :001_smile:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Checking seals is not a warranty-covered item, so that wouldn't be performed without a charge, unless something else made opening the watch necessary, then it would be retested as part of that service.

As to COSC, COSC-running is not guaranteed as a warranty item. Watches can get out of COSC for a multitude of reasons, very few of them actually manufacture defects. If something in the movement broke, which made it run out of spec that would be covered. If you got too close to a magnetic field that wouldn't be. Also since COSC is an average over many days in many positions it could be in COSC, just not the way your wearing / storing it.

IMO 10 sec. a day isn't worth sending it in to Rolex, especially since it almost certainly wouldn't be covered in warranty. Even if it was covered you'd still be paying shipping, which is $25-30 minimum to ship insured USPS Registered mail. For about the same price as the shipping alone you can have any competent local watchmaker regulate the movement just as well, and without the wait to Rolex which can be weeks or months. And that same watchmaker can probably do a pressure test to verify your seals are OK..

unless somethings 'broke' on it, I wouldn't bother sending it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Direct from RSC comment

This is my own personal experience with our local RSC (Toronto Rolex Service Centre). I brought in my Sub-C with warranty left and told the receptionist that it was running -2 secs/day (still within COSC range). My watch was adjusted and inspected for waterproofing, no charge at all.

I was told that depending on the condition of the watch, even after the 2-year warranty has expired, RSC will do minor adjustments for free up to four years (i.e. plus 2 years after warranty period).

Since yours is still within the warranty period, you may still get a free adjustment. Only way to find out is to take your watch to the RSC and hear what they have to say.

Good luck.

I have a Datejust that I bought in 2010 with the very helpful advice of people on this forum (thanks!). The two-year warranty is about to expire next week, and I'm wondering if there's any covered service I should be thinking about before it does?

The watch is in good shape except that it consistently runs about 10 seconds fast per day. This is more than the -4/+6 COSC standard. Do you know if adjustment would be covered by the warranty, or if not about how much that should cost?

Also, do you know if checking the water-tight seals would be covered, or if not about how much that should cost?

Thanks very much! :001_smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the two comments and advice.

I took the watch to my AD today, the day the warranty expires. They were very helpful and said the 10+ seconds per day adjustment would be covered under the warranty. They took the watch to send to Rolex.

They also said Rolex would also look at the watertight seals (not sure if it will be extra to change the seals, but oh well).

Overall I was pleased with the warranty so far. I'll let you know the final result.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go direct to RSC

Just wondering why you didn't go to the RSC directly. Not in your area? RSC will do it while you wait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wondering why you didn't go to the RSC directly. Not in your area? RSC will do it while you wait.
They're just in NYC and Texas, no? If that's the case, then yes not in my area.

Plus I can check out the new watches in my AD's case when I visit. :w00t:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts