WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm planning to buy an Omega Planet Ocean or Seamaster pretty soon, and I'd like to hear your opinions on the benefits of buying from an AD versus a gray market seller. So, what do you guys think I should do?
Thanks!

·
Registered
774 Posts
buy from an AD and get a full omega warrantee unless the item is used and has a dealership warrantee. the risk versus reward doesn't stack up otherwise. the little extra you could save could easily be exceeded by any problems you might encounter, not to mention the hassle and peace of mind.

·
Registered
774 Posts
an AD will often give a little on the price of a new watch. bear that in mind too before you get seduced by grey market prices.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm planning to buy an Omega Planet Ocean or Seamaster pretty soon, and I'd like to hear your opinions on the benefits of buying from an AD versus a gray market seller. So, what do you guys think I should do?
Thanks!
I know the position of this board is to buy AD only and you can't go wrong if you choose this path. If you buy gray market make sure you buy from a reliable source. Also make sure you are comfortable with the fact that there will be no factory hand holding should there be a problem. I have gone both ways and don't have a problem either way. Just understand the pitfalls. Some of my watches are not available any way other than gray market. Japan only models for example.

·
Registered
774 Posts
i'm not saying don't ever buy grey market. but i've know people buy what they though was a new watch and find it was grey market and that has caused considerable difficulty. most of the watches i buy are used but that's because i don't wear them either. they're just collectables.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ad ad ad

I know you can get the same price from an AD. If you want cheaper pick up a gently used one still under warranty.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I know the position of this board is to buy AD only and you can't go wrong if you choose this path. If you buy gray market make sure you buy from a reliable source. Also make sure you are comfortable with the fact that there will be no factory hand holding should there be a problem. I have gone both ways and don't have a problem either way. Just understand the pitfalls. Some of my watches are not available any way other than gray market. Japan only models for example.
Grey market is a fact of this hobby, especially for Japan-only issues. However, as drster mentions you can get the same deals at certain ADs. Some shops won't work with you on price at all - so walk out. The stores that will are the places that you should go back to. I've gotten prices equal to and even better than internet grey dealers from ADs.

I know you can get the same price from an AD. If you want cheaper pick up a gently used one still under warranty.
Good advice - and if you want to flip this is more like words to live by.

I can't understand why some dealers will pass up a sale that's a little short of their usual margin, but turn around and unload items at cost out the back door to a grey market site just to keep up with the manufacturer's quota. A small profit is better than no profit, but what do I know after all these years in retail management? :blink::laugh:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I can't understand why some dealers will pass up a sale that's a little short of their usual margin, but turn around and unload items at cost out the back door to a grey market site just to keep up with the manufacturer's quota.
well, there are two main factors a work here: image (don't want to get a repuation for discounting) and arrogance (stuff you if you won't pay top dollar). a third might be the 'not worth getting out of bed for' attitude, ie: can't be bothered with the after-sales care for the margin gained.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A third way is an AD in another country where it's generally cheaper due to low or no sales tax, or more local competition. Of course any saving may be negated by travel costs but if you are going there anyway for vacation or some other reason then may be worth doing. Most of my watches were bought in HK for the above reasons :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. Do you guys know any specific ADs that discount to near-gray market prices (I'm in Washington)? So far, I've only seen a 15% discount from a place in Oregon, and the salesperson said that was because they didn't have it in stock(?), but maybe that's because I haven't really inquired about discounts. Is it kosher to mention gray market prices at an AD and see if they'll discount, or will they just tell you about discounts if you ask?
Thanks for all the help!

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
You can mention internet prices. Some dealers won't work with you, but some will. I took a printout of the Breitling I wanted into an AD and they matched the price at 25% off.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
:rolleyes: When I was asked, I told them to get it there. Many times it was
a bluff and I loved to call bluffs and if they got it Gray Market, it was a "used" watch. "I get cheaper in Hong Kong." Why didn't you buy it there?
"No deescount?" Have you purchased from us before? Usually a blank stare.
Please fill out this form and I'll need your credit card to show the manager
for a 'price consideration'. Had a customer run out of the store and never
came back. :lol: "I'm going accross the street!" Many came back later and
payed full-pop. An established customer, they didn't need to ask.
Thanks for the responses. Do you guys know any specific ADs that discount to near-gray market prices (I'm in Washington)? So far, I've only seen a 15% discount from a place in Oregon, and the salesperson said that was because they didn't have it in stock(?), but maybe that's because I haven't really inquired about discounts. Is it kosher to mention gray market prices at an AD and see if they'll discount, or will they just tell you about discounts if you ask?
Thanks for all the help!

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
:rolleyes: When I was asked, I told them to get it there. Many times it was
a bluff and I loved to call bluffs and if they got it Gray Market, it was a "used" watch. "I get cheaper in Hong Kong." Why didn't you buy it there?
"No deescount?" Have you purchased from us before? Usually a blank stare.
Please fill out this form and I'll need your credit card to show the manager
for a 'price consideration'. Had a customer run out of the store and never
came back. :lol: "I'm going accross the street!" Many came back later and
payed full-pop. An established customer, they didn't need to ask.
I would have left also and never came back if somebody asked for my credit card for a "consideration"! I did go into the King of Prussia mall and into the chain you worked for - they wouldn't budge on the price. I walked down the mall a little and into another AD. They did give me the price without any games, so I gave them my business - a $4000 sale....and 3 other purchases of jewelry plus 2 referrals over the course of the next few months. It seems to me, in this economy, a business needs to do something to establish itself with the customer and not the other way around. Just my 2¢ from 20+ years of retail.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would have left also and never came back if somebody asked for my credit card for a "consideration"! I did go into the King of Prussia mall and into the chain you worked for - they wouldn't budge on the price. I walked down the mall a little and into another AD. They did give me the price without any games, so I gave them my business - a $4000 sale....and 3 other purchases of jewelry plus 2 referrals over the course of the next few months. It seems to me, in this economy, a business needs to do something to establish itself with the customer and not the other way around. Just my 2¢ from 20+ years of retail.
I can tell you that I am extremely loyal to a business that treats me right.
Those that treat me badly, well.....I don't forget that either.
I think it is foolish to stuff a customer in as you say, this economy.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Asking for a credit card is procedure, althought I didn't always follow it,
and it does work. It helps seperate the serious buyer from the BS artist.
In the case I mentioned, a real BS pro and it was a gain more than a loss.
The King of Prussia store, doen't recall ever reading anything negative
about them, unlike a few others, just a whole lot of praise.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Answering the OP question, first go to the AD, and see if they can match the price of the gray market seller...

If they can, case closed

If they can't, see if the savings are worth enough of buying gray market...

There are some very reputable gray market sellers, maybe you should check at Essential Watches, a WTF sponsor...

In my case, I prefer the AD, because as I live in South America, the shipping costs plus the customs taxes, always are the same or more than AD, unfortunately, there are no ADs for all the brands here, so the only way I can go, is gray market, and I didn't have any troubles so far... (But never bought an Omega overseas)

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Asking for a credit card is procedure, althought I didn't always follow it,
and it does work. It helps seperate the serious buyer from the BS artist.
In the case I mentioned, a real BS pro and it was a gain more than a loss.
Okay, I can see that working to weed out the tire kickers. If you got the sense that the person was a game player then I understand why that was the call. Chalk this one up to not being able to tell the tone of your comment over the internet.

The King of Prussia store, doen't recall ever reading anything negative
about them, unlike a few others, just a whole lot of praise.
They surely weren't rude - in fact, they were very polite. Nothing bad to say about the staff. The manager just didn't want to play ball.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It could be at that moment that the stores % to retail was too low and
they were trying to bring it up. I had 10 days to go one month and I couldn't
discount anymore, my % to retail was 83% and I sold full-pop the rest of
the month and brought it up to 92%. At that time the break point was 88.5%.
Okay, I can see that working to weed out the tire kickers. If you got the sense that the person was a game player then I understand why that was the call. Chalk this one up to not being able to tell the tone of your comment over the internet.

They surely weren't rude - in fact, they were very polite. Nothing bad to say about the staff. The manager just didn't want to play ball.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts