WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accutrons down here are as rare as rocking horse sheet. I often look at older blokes wrists (pubs and wherever) and try to work out what they have on but you rarely see anything interesting. I'm intrigued as to wether you guys in the US often run into people wearing them. I have to watch myself staring at peoples wrists to try to work out what it is (not even an Accutron..) in case they get the wrong idea about you...

Have any of you had people pull you up, and have knowledge? Seen anyone else wearing a nice one?? Usually I'll talk with someone if they have something that looks interesting but 9.9 times out of 10 it turns out to be some P.O.S that cost $49.99 at Kmart and then the conversation sort of trails trails into silence.....

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Other than my friend who also has several Accutrons, no! Our Youth Minister, 27, seems to be developing an interest in watches. He will ask me what I have on and now knows what an Accutron is. A few months ago I gave him an inexpensive Chinese auto. It was the first mechanical watch he ever had and didn't know what to do with it. He wears that one regularly. There is one Accutron I put together from parts that I may give to him if his interest continues.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been sporting my bequeathed Accutron off and on for the better part of 20 years now. I don't know that I've ever seen another one, to be honest and certainly not among my demographic peer group (I'm 35).

For guys my age that care about watches at all, you see a lot of Rolexes and Tags. You do also see a lot of "mall kiosk crap", like oversized skeleton watches made to look expensive but which cost about $20.

For the set younger than me in the US (generation Y?) I think it's sad to note that watches aren't popular at all...most of them just use their cell phone clock. Sign of the times...

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Can't say I have ever seen anybody in public wearing another accutron but unless it was obvious like a Spaceview I may not know what I am looking at with only a quick glance. None of my friends own any either.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thankfully I'm not the only one that stares at other folks watches! I did see a gentleman wearing an Accutron Astronaut II and being in Alaska it was covered with gold nuggets. We had a nice chat over a beer.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankfully I'm not the only one that stares at other folks watches! I did see a gentleman wearing an Accutron Astronaut II and being in Alaska it was covered with gold nuggets. We had a nice chat over a beer.
I wish I could have been there! It would have turned into an extended session, trust me.....You Alaskans and your gold..love it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
"I did see a gentleman wearing an Accutron Astronaut II and being in Alaska it was covered with gold nuggets."

Wow, I'm at a loss for words. On an Astronaut? Oh my! :sad:
I know, right? At least he knew about Accutrons and his was humming away. I was just so amazed I actually saw someone with an Accutron!!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
It's funny how we turn into "wrist watchers". Since being taken over by this addiction and learning about the varied creations out there I must say I do look for those special pieces. 12 months ago I didn't know that Accutons, Benruses (should that be Benrusii) or 6105's existed.

I am an avowed Seiko man, but I am branching out - - - give me time. I am building knowledge of my favourite other brands and will pounce at the right time. I recently spotted a grail on a guys arm at a local coffee shop and when I approached him about it I'm sure he thought I was trying to chat him up. He didn't have a clue what he had and was surprised at how prized his watch was in the horological world.
Cheers,
Brian,

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I don't see Accutrons on people as I am out and about but they must be there because a local jeweler told me that people bring them to him regularly for battery changes.
Before retiring I worked in an 8 person satellite office of a larger company and thought it was interesting that, in an office that small, there was another Accutron. The owner/wearer inherited it from his father and had no other interest in watches. It is a 1964 214 that he has had for about 30 years and it has never been serviced and keeps very good time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The only people I have seen wearing a
Accutron is my local jeweler and watch
Guy. None of my friends even knows what
A Accutron is but I am only 23 and they
Think it is ridiculous to pay the price for
A vintage watch. In my area if you see somebody
Wearing a Vintage watch it is a seiko or bulova selfwinding.
But I thought I would never find myself
Staring at other people's wrists, trying
To figure out what kind of watch there
Wearing!

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's funny how we turn into "wrist watchers". Since being taken over by this addiction and learning about the varied creations out there I must say I do look for those special pieces. 12 months ago I didn't know that Accutons, Benruses (should that be Benrusii) or 6105's existed.

I am an avowed Seiko man, but I am branching out - - - give me time. I am building knowledge of my favourite other brands and will pounce at the right time. I recently spotted a grail on a guys arm at a local coffee shop and when I approached him about it I'm sure he thought I was trying to chat him up. He didn't have a clue what he had and was surprised at how prized his watch was in the horological world.
Cheers,
Brian,
I've got me dear old Dads Seiko auto on right now. Had it serviced about 6 months ago. He'd wear it to work every day. It'd be a mid/late 70s thing. Lovely case and dial. And the love of my life is my Seiko M929 5020 digital/LCD that I have spent God knows how long finally tracking down a THIRD replacement for to get the movement to keep it going. :blushing:

Oh yeah. And I have 5 of those big old Benrus Electrics/Citations. I love them! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The only people I have seen wearing a
Accutron is my local jeweler and watch
Guy. None of my friends even knows what
A Accutron is but I am only 23 and they
Think it is ridiculous to pay the price for
A vintage watch. In my area if you see somebody
Wearing a Vintage watch it is a seiko or bulova selfwinding.
But I thought I would never find myself
Staring at other people's wrists, trying
To figure out what kind of watch there
Wearing!
Hey, glad to hear another young guy is into these watches. I bought my 218 new when I was 29. You should look into some of the 17J, 23J and 30J auto wind Bulovas. They are pretty neat, too. Since resurrecting my interest in Accutrons, I have also added several '50s - '80s auto winds. They are smaller, as watches were then, but very well made. Some of the cases are one piece, no removable back. With a special motion, the split stem comes off and the mvt. is removed from the front after the crystal is removed! Kinda makes it a little difficult to regulate for a novice.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't pay attention.

What do I care what other folks are wearing?
It's sort of like when you go to a gig/concert of a much loved band. You are sure you may be one of the few fans, because in normal life no-one seems to know of them or care, and then you find there are THOUSANDS who are just as passionate as you! It's a nice feeling.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I also find myself looking/staring at wristwatches that seem to be more -- at first glance -- than the "$49.99" Blue light special. But, no; I have never seen anyone wearing a vintage Accutron (especially a Spaceview). I did, however, see one of my old buddies in a store recently, and while chatting with him, noticed that he was wearing a (much newer) Bulova Marine Star 98H37. What made it all the more interesting was that I happened to be wearing mine at the time.

If I ever see someone wearing an Accutron Spaceview, I have no doubt whatsoever, that I will stop that person and attempt to strike up a conversation with him about it -- how he came about it, and so on.

Reactions: Alaskan
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.