WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys & Girls,

I have recently purchased a 1973 Chapter ring Spaceview. This model was owned by the original guy since the 1970's. To me it looks in good 'original' shape. What does it look like to you ?? :w00t:

I have also been looking at this 1973 (N3) Swiss cushion case Spaceview.
With my little experience on this wonderful brand, I am back here again to seek advice from the subject matter experts :blushing:

This particular model is fitted with the 'hack' as I understand most Swiss movements are, but the hands don't look right as I am guessing the 'minute' hand should reach up to the chapter ring. Am I correct?

Anyway please have a look and post your comments. All comments are appreciated and Thank you !

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
That is a very nice "TV" with hidden lugs. The hands look correct to me. You may be seeing an optical illusion. The minute and seconds hands are the same length and correct. They only reach out to the chapter ring when at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 due to the square shape of the chapter ring. The band is also correct for chapter ring Spaceview watches of the vintage.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Are you sure that cushion case Spaceview is a 1973 model? It looks a lot like a 1975 Anniversary model. It is interesting that there is no date code on the case back since the Anniversary model lacked the date code.
If it is an anniversary model, the case # should be 7581.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I had similar thoughts. The Anniversary model has a tapered second hand. Hour and minute hands look the same. The case is not the correct shape - should have the unusual tuning fork shape. The chapter ring looks to be the same style as found in the Anniversary. Absence of date code is interesting. Was this perhaps common on Swiss versions? The case back of my Swiss desk/mantle clock does not have a date code. :confused1:

·
Registered
327 Posts
That cushion case is marked n3 if you look closely. It's correct but hope you don't need a crystal for it because they are rare, I've only ever seen one for sale a couple years ago

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That cushion case is marked n3 if you look closely. It's correct but hope you don't need a crystal for it because they are rare, I've only ever seen one for sale a couple years ago
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments so far.
The Cushion case is marked with 'Water resistant' - 3-502058 N3.
I did excited thinking this may have been an anniversary model but its not :cursing:

So with that said 'does the watch look right' ? I want an original Cushion and im scared of buying a Frakenwatch.

Keep them comments flowing. And THANK YOU

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Still can't see the date code. Must be my eyes. :biggrin:

Question: Is there a difference between "Cushion" and "TV" case or are they interchangeable terms?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments so far.
The Cushion case is marked with 'Water resistant' - 3-502058 N3.
I did excited thinking this may have been an anniversary model but its not :cursing:

So with that said 'does the watch look right' ? I want an original Cushion and im scared of buying a Frakenwatch.

Keep them comments flowing. And THANK YOU
Sam2 seems to think it is correct and he usually has his facts correct on these watches. :thumbup1:

No, it's not a SS Anniv. (very rare) but it does seem to be a very nice example and one that will look like new with a little case work. Is there evidence of graining or etching on the flat part of the case (some call it the bezel) around the crystal? I have the open lug version of that case on one of my Accuquartz watches. After returning from the watchmaker in Bulgaria, the case looks like new and with the original graining restored perfectly.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
OK, I see the date now, I think. The watch looks good to me, those are somewhat hard to duplicate, but I'd like to know the case # to be sure.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys

Your words are encouraging and thank you for the advice.
I am starting to get a feel and a better understanding for the Accutron and that is mainly because of you guys. So for that 'thank you' :lol:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beware, Accutrons are addictive. Must have something to do with the humming.
Im beginning to find this out :cursing:]

I own a few other watches also, however I must say buying and searching for an Accutron is like no other watch experience EVER!!!
And it is this experience which makes it all the more worthwhile.

I will hopefully be happy with my newly acquired Chapter ring spaceview when it arrives. As for the Cushion Spaceview, well looks like i'll be bringing that home too :sneaky2::sneaky2::sneaky2::001_tongue:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Still can't see the date code. Must be my eyes. :biggrin:

Question: Is there a difference between "Cushion" and "TV" case or are they interchangeable terms?
There are many Accutron 214 watches with a TV shaped dial but I know of only three Spaceview models that had a TV shaped chapter ring. Yours is the fourth of that type and only the second with hidden lugs.
I hate to make statements that can't be proven but have you considered the possibility that your "Cushion Spaceview" was made for the UK market only? Other than the more numerous Anniversary Accutrons, both watches mentioned had papers from UK authorized dealers. Wish I could remember the dealer names. As far as I know, your model was not advertised for sale in the United States.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are many Accutron 214 watches with a TV shaped dial but I know of only three Spaceview models that had a TV shaped chapter ring. Yours is the fourth of that type and only the second with hidden lugs.
I hate to make statements that can't be proven but have you considered the possibility that your "Cushion Spaceview" was made for the UK market only? Other than the more numerous Anniversary Accutrons, both watches mentioned had papers from UK authorized dealers. Wish I could remember the dealer names. As far as I know, your model was not advertised for sale in the United States.
Hi Sam

Interesting statement and thank you. I have been scratching my head deep in thought, as the hidden lugs are not so common. So would you be sceptical if it was you buying the watch ?
There is not much info here in the UK as I don't think the brand was as big here as it was in the USA.
I'm a purist by my own admission and therefore I am fanatical about sourcing a straight unmolested specimen. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Hi Sam

Interesting statement and thank you. I have been scratching my head deep in thought, as the hidden lugs are not so common. So would you be sceptical if it was you buying the watch ?
There is not much info here in the UK as I don't think the brand was as big here as it was in the USA.
I'm a purist by my own admission and therefore I am fanatical about sourcing a straight unmolested specimen. :thumbup:
After I purchased my first "fake" Spaceview and began wondering where I had gone wrong. I started looking over the lists of known Spaceview cases. A Spaceview watch turned up on a site from the UK. It had two numbers associated that didn't make any sense to me but they looked like case numbers. They are 3063 and 5020. I was hoping to be able to add another case the lists and for that reason, I am anxious to know if one or both of those numbers is on your watch. It looks to be an exact duplicate of yours but in gold.
I saved the photo of that watch and would normally hesitate posting a photo that is not my property but in this case, it was marked as public domain.

No one is more skeptical than I but I would buy that watch if the price was within reason.

Dscf3848_Bulova_Accutron.jpg cc.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not sure if I am adding to the confusion,

I recently purchased a similar cushion shaped accutron, the guy i bought from is a serious collector. My case is 10K GF, and it says 2527 6/6 on the inside. I heard someone mention that this accutron might be made only for the UK market, which might not be the case, the reason being, my accutron's case-back has a serial number A-49854, which definitely says that it was a US made one.

Here is a link to my thread with pictures of my watch.

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/bulova-accutron-forum/57967.htm#post524531

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

I recently purchased a similar cushion shaped accutron, the guy i bought from is a serious collector. My case is 10K GF, and it says 2527 6/6 on the inside. I heard someone mention that this accutron might be made only for the UK market, which might not be the case, the reason being, my accutron's case-back has a serial number A-49854, which definitely says that it was a US made one.

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/bulova-accutron-forum/57967.htm#post524531
I think we were talking about a Swiss made version that came along in 1972/1973. Those are clearly marked Swiss and have a corresponding Swiss serial number beginning with a number rather than a letter.

Four examples of 2527 here: http://www.dashto.com/research.htm

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hi

It would appear that your watch is more common in Europe than it is over the pond.
Problem being, the Spaceviews were never that popular here in the UK and therefore it is difficult to find a definitive answer. I have seen 5 recently and out of those, 4 have been in Europe with one being sold in the USA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts