WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member looking for a good shop to service my Accutron Spaceview. I have heard of the Old Father Time shop located in Virginia.
Has anyone had good/bad experiences with this shop? Any other recommendations? Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have you tried asking your local watch shop if they service the old tuning forks? Most of these smaller shops don't really advertise the service. Sometimes you'll get lucky. I was very pleased to find that at Dykman's time shop here in Madison, WI is an accutron repairman who retired from a watchmaking position at Bulova in Chicago some years back. Unfortunately I have no experience with Old Father Time to share.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have heard of the Old Father Time shop located in Virginia.
Has anyone had good/bad experiences with this shop?
I sent my Dad's 218 Spaceview in to Old Father Time for an overhaul right about a year ago; I think I got it back the 2nd week of December. The watch was running but had not been serviced in many years, and needed some help within the movement itself because it had gotten to where it was keeping erratic time.

In addition to the basic servicing (totally breaking the movement down, oiling, inspecting, replacing gaskets and screws, etc.) OFT replaced the center wheel and my battery hatch assembly ("cell strap tube"). I think those were the major hits. In addition to that they replaced my crystal and sent it back to me with a new 344 cell. They also offered some services which I declined (swapping out my watch hands for ones original to the model; mine were later Bulova replacements which are technically "factory incorrect", also offered to switch out my sourced crown - stainless where it should be gold - but was not important to me, or at least not worth the extra $$ to me). A year later my watch is still humming pleasantly and keeping very accurate time, no issues whatsoever. I was very impressed with OFT as a business and really had no complaints. They were speedy, available, answered my questions and e-mails regularly, communicated well regarding the shipping, did a very competent job with the shipping, and were pleasant to deal with on the phone. All that being said, they were not within shouting distance of cheap. I knew going into it that I would wind up paying top-dollar, which in the end was worth it to me because this watch is an heirloom and one of my most prized possessions. I probably paid more than the watch is worth to get it fixed, which I can understand for many of you as hobbyists (I'm not...) with multiple Accutrons is probably a deal-breaker.

I have not done business with Bob Piker over a watch, but can tell you that he has kindly and patiently (and quickly) responded to a slew of e-mails from me over the past year whenever I have had questions about my watch. You can tell in his responses that he is a genuine Accutron enthusiast - someone who is doing what he does not just for a job but because he really digs Accutrons. Given a second chance and just based on my correspondence with Bob, I would probably be inclined to send this Accutron to him next time over OFT because of that plus the fact that I know his rates for the same service would probably run me at most half of what OFT wound up getting out of me last year.

I'd be happy to answer other specific questions on OFT (their process, etc.) if you have them.

-John

·
Banned
605 Posts
I sent my Dad's 218 Spaceview in to Old Father Time for an overhaul right about a year ago; I think I got it back the 2nd week of December. The watch was running but had not been serviced in many years, and needed some help within the movement itself because it had gotten to where it was keeping erratic time.

In addition to the basic servicing (totally breaking the movement down, oiling, inspecting, replacing gaskets and screws, etc.) OFT replaced the center wheel and my battery hatch assembly ("cell strap tube"). I think those were the major hits. In addition to that they replaced my crystal and sent it back to me with a new 344 cell. They also offered some services which I declined (swapping out my watch hands for ones original to the model; mine were later Bulova replacements which are technically "factory incorrect", also offered to switch out my sourced crown - stainless where it should be gold - but was not important to me, or at least not worth the extra $$ to me). A year later my watch is still humming pleasantly and keeping very accurate time, no issues whatsoever. I was very impressed with OFT as a business and really had no complaints. They were speedy, available, answered my questions and e-mails regularly, communicated well regarding the shipping, did a very competent job with the shipping, and were pleasant to deal with on the phone. All that being said, they were not within shouting distance of cheap. I knew going into it that I would wind up paying top-dollar, which in the end was worth it to me because this watch is an heirloom and one of my most prized possessions. I probably paid more than the watch is worth to get it fixed, which I can understand for many of you as hobbyists (I'm not...) with multiple Accutrons is probably a deal-breaker.

I have not done business with Bob Piker over a watch, but can tell you that he has kindly and patiently (and quickly) responded to a slew of e-mails from me over the past year whenever I have had questions about my watch. You can tell in his responses that he is a genuine Accutron enthusiast - someone who is doing what he does not just for a job but because he really digs Accutrons. Given a second chance and just based on my correspondence with Bob, I would probably be inclined to send this Accutron to him next time over OFT because of that plus the fact that I know his rates for the same service would probably run me at most half of what OFT wound up getting out of me last year.

I'd be happy to answer other specific questions on OFT (their process, etc.) if you have them.

-John
I've looked at his site and it is comprehensive.

But his prices START at $346 with everything else extra :scared:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Any recently serviced Accutron should be good-to-go for many years barring a component failure. Accutron mvts. don't require frequent service as do mechanical watches. Bulova said no service required until the watch will not run properly and/or can no longer be properly regulated for accurate time keeping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.