WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased two Gemini's from eBay that were solid, hefty wind ups. Then I purchased a third which I have returned due to low quality. I haven't been refunded yet but here's why I returned it:

1) Very light weight
2) Band and deployment not the same quality as the others
3) The model number DOES NOT pull up at Bulova or other sites
4) Ditto for the serial number
5) It is extremely difficult to wind--I have neuropathy in fingertips

The model number is 64B22 and the seller only offers this ONE Accutron. I find that alarming. I have not seen other mainstream sellers offer this particular model.

The seller has asked for a lot of unnecessary paperwork and I have complied.

This watch seems to be an Invicta not a Accutron and there are no real photographs of this model that I have seen. I would think Accutron replicas would not be much of a hot market.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL. That's who I bought it from. A very few other sellers have it but the sites I did serial number searches at came up zippo including Bulova. This is definitely a lower quality line than Gemni. This is the problem with buying anything from the net, I guess.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
LOL. That's who I bought it from. A very few other sellers have it but the sites I did serial number searches at came up zippo including Bulova. This is definitely a lower quality line than Gemni. This is the problem with buying anything from the net, I guess.
About the only new line of watches from Bulova I am familiar with is the Precisionist line. In that line, the prices range from $300 to over $1,000. Initially, the only differences were case, dial & hands and bands. There was only one Precisionist movement common to all models. Now, if I understand correctly, there is a sub caliber of the Precisionist movement. This might also drive up price. I don't really think because you buy a particular watch from Amazon, etc., that is will be of lesser quality than others of the same model but bought in a Jewelery store. That particular movement is a good quality movement and has been used in higher priced Swiss watches. The $300 MSRP Precisionist I bought was finished just as nicely as the $600 MSRP Precisionist I replaced it with. The difference was in case details and water resistance to 900 feet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Precisionist is definitely a subordinate line to Accutron if by nothing else than price. I found my Gemini's listed by both Macy's and Sears at $1000+ which is a great way to see what kind of value you might be getting. I did not find this model even though there was a link to a retail site but watch was not there.

Regardless, I am disappointed that Accutron would approve of a watch that is not the same "stuff" as the rest of its line. Even the watch box was cardboard with a pillow which is bottoming out.

As for the crown problems...the crown is very, very small and hard to twist. An automatic should only require six or seven turns in the morning before putting it on. This can be a chore and is most likely the result of taking the case and style of a quartz model and converting it to mechanical. Unfortunately, I didn't really anticipate this since my other two work so well.

Maybe Accutron should have stuck to tuning forks and quartz alone instead of handing Precisionist the "most accurate watch" title.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Maybe Accutron should have stuck to tuning forks and quartz alone instead of handing Precisionist the "most accurate watch" title.
I agree! The tuning fork was their revolutionary movement & should have been developed to the highest degree! I'd love to have seen highly decorated TF movements!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.