WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Accutron 2181 pendant watch for service. It came to me with the back off. As I went to refit the back, I have found that it is 0.4mm too large to snap on. That's even after having straightened it. There does not appear to be any wear to the snap edges, they look clean and undamaged.

I don't know the case number for this model but this back has 2787 on it. Though I have serviced these before, I can't recall what the case numbers were,

Does anyone know if this is the correct back for the watch?

Your help appreciated....

Regards, Rob

·
Registered
747 Posts
I know nothing about pendant accutrons, however, since the caseback is .4mm larger than the case, I just wonder if you need to treat the caseback like a snap in crystal by pressing on the center of the caseback to flex the OD to a smaller diameter? Just a thought.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think it's the right case back because the book says 2787 is a pendant case for 218D. So I conclude you are missing a part. An O ring or a "red" gasket maybe? 0.2 is pretty thin but you can get them. Maybe 0.3 will work, depending on the shape of the lips. 0.3 O rings are easier to get.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's the right case back because the book says 2787 is a pendant case for 218D. So I conclude you are missing a part. An O ring or a "red" gasket maybe? 0.2 is pretty thin but you can get them. Maybe 0.3 will work, depending on the shape of the lips. 0.3 O rings are easier to get.
Thanks Chris for your thoughts on that. I was thinking along the lines of a red gasket, but I can't recall ever seeing a watch with one (or any other kind). I'll see if I can find something the right size.

Regards, Rob

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know nothing about pendant accutrons, however, since the caseback is .4mm larger than the case, I just wonder if you need to treat the caseback like a snap in crystal by pressing on the center of the caseback to flex the OD to a smaller diameter? Just a thought.
Hi T2F, that is a good idea and it does work. I have actually done that to this case back, and pressed it very hard but couldn't get the ID small enough. I have been reluctant to press it harder in case I totally destroy the back. So I'll think a bit more before I go further. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Analog watch Amber Gesture Clock Gold
Drinkware Tableware Coin Body jewelry Font
I have this Accutron 2181 pendant watch for service. It came to me with the back off. As I went to refit the back, I have found that it is 0.4mm too large to snap on. That's even after having straightened it. There does not appear to be any wear to the snap edges, they look clean and undamaged.

I don't know the case number for this model but this back has 2787 on it. Though I have serviced these before, I can't recall what the case numbers were,

Does anyone know if this is the correct back for the watch?

Your help appreciated....

Regards, Rob

View attachment 226581
View attachment 226580
Rob, I haven't received it yet as it's a fresh purchase, but I just acquired one of these. Same model, and the case style stamp was the same number, 2787. I noted when I looked it up in the ABC case parts catalog, that the case gasket section has an "X" in it, denoting there is no gasket for this model. I'm hoping I won't have any trouble removing/installing the caseback on mine :) I'm prepared to carefully use a caseback press if needed.

Eric

Reactions: tayloreuph

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Pendant is in, shipped with caseback loose in a flimsy pack. Surprisingly, no damage. No caseback press was required. I was able to install the caseback with just finger pressure. Cleaned up well, and looks quite nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
For your wife? I think she’ll love it, but it would look quite fetching on you too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joe, not quite getting your attempt at humor (?) above. Care to explain? Trying to intimate something?

Anyways, OliverB (good to hear from ya, it's been awhile 🙂), yes, my wife wasn't hip with the idea of wearing this either. I've acquired other pendant watches in the past and should've known as she just isn't a fan. No big deal as I like everything Accutron. I have it hanging on a display stand presently but perhaps in the future I may gift it to someone. The seller accepted a much lower offer and frankly I was surprised they accepted it.

Chris Radek, I have got to get off my butt and send some watches to you. I believe I've communicated in the past with you in regard to the less popular Accutron movements, and whether you service them. In particular I have a 2210 man's Swiss model with sterling silver case that is liked to get up and running. Either with a donor movement or repairing the original movement. To confirm, do you take on 2210, 230, 219 and Accuquartz?

Also, you mentioned being careful of the date ring with the pendant due to the crown's position? I haven't removed the stem to uncase the movement for any reason yet but I'm curious what you meant. Could you please explain the reason for the concern?

Eric

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi! It might be best to contact me in private, but yes I do service all those movements.

Date rings aren't interchangeable between watches that have the crown in different positions. Most Accutrons have date at 3, crown at 4, and those date rings are generally interchangeable except for color (although there are different shapes: some are curved, some are flat, a few are taller.)

A few Accutrons have date at 3 and crown at 3, and these are harder to find a date ring for, just because there were fewer of them.

Date at 3 and crown at 1 will have yet another date ring that doesn't interchange with anything else. It would probably be very hard to find this part except in another pendant watch.

This whole mess is because 31 is prime, so if you align a date in the window at one dial marker, none of the other 11 dial markers will line up with other dates. It's annoying.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Great to hear, Chris. I will definitely contact you directly and get a number of pieces to you. I'm behind on having watches serviced/repaired.

Interesting points about the stem and date (day/date) windows. I've seen them all I believe (and have a number of examples) but wasn't fully aware of the implications.

And yes, I like that crosshair dial as well. Subtle but eye catching.

Eric

Reactions: tayloreuph
1 - 13 of 13 Posts