WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Accutron 2181 pendant watch for service. It came to me with the back off. As I went to refit the back, I have found that it is 0.4mm too large to snap on. That's even after having straightened it. There does not appear to be any wear to the snap edges, they look clean and undamaged.

I don't know the case number for this model but this back has 2787 on it. Though I have serviced these before, I can't recall what the case numbers were,

Does anyone know if this is the correct back for the watch?

Your help appreciated....

Regards, Rob

·
Registered
747 Posts
I know nothing about pendant accutrons, however, since the caseback is .4mm larger than the case, I just wonder if you need to treat the caseback like a snap in crystal by pressing on the center of the caseback to flex the OD to a smaller diameter? Just a thought.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think it's the right case back because the book says 2787 is a pendant case for 218D. So I conclude you are missing a part. An O ring or a "red" gasket maybe? 0.2 is pretty thin but you can get them. Maybe 0.3 will work, depending on the shape of the lips. 0.3 O rings are easier to get.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's the right case back because the book says 2787 is a pendant case for 218D. So I conclude you are missing a part. An O ring or a "red" gasket maybe? 0.2 is pretty thin but you can get them. Maybe 0.3 will work, depending on the shape of the lips. 0.3 O rings are easier to get.
Thanks Chris for your thoughts on that. I was thinking along the lines of a red gasket, but I can't recall ever seeing a watch with one (or any other kind). I'll see if I can find something the right size.

Regards, Rob

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know nothing about pendant accutrons, however, since the caseback is .4mm larger than the case, I just wonder if you need to treat the caseback like a snap in crystal by pressing on the center of the caseback to flex the OD to a smaller diameter? Just a thought.
Hi T2F, that is a good idea and it does work. I have actually done that to this case back, and pressed it very hard but couldn't get the ID small enough. I have been reluctant to press it harder in case I totally destroy the back. So I'll think a bit more before I go further. Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts