WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
This is my first post to this Forum and I would appreciate some advice concerning Accutron batteries, I have acquired two 214 Accutrons and I have read on a number of internet sources that the old mercury 387 battery has been replaced by the new 387S, 394 OR AccuCell-1. one of my new watches was dead, it contained an old 387 battery which has now been removed. The other watch is being powered by a battery which contains the following markings SR396SW SEIKO 0%Hg Made in Japan. I have tried this battery in both watches they both start automatically, run very well and keep excellent time. From the documentation provided by the previous owner it appears that the SEIKO battery was installed by a watchmaker in March 2012. However having regard for what I have read I am concerned about the long term use of the SEIKO battery and I have ordered 387S replacements. I would appreciate any views/comments from other Accutron owners on the continued use of the SEIKO battery.

Regards
Suds

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, the proper battery replacement for the 214 is the 387s. However, watchmakers do install different batteries, as long as they fit, when they don't have the proper battery in stock. Most all of these batteries today are 1.55 volts so it really does not matter if the size is slightly different. The original mercury (Hg) batteries were 1.35 volts and were outlawed here many years ago. There is some debate over whether it is bad to install a 1.55v battery in our Accutrons. Purists tend to recommend the Accucell-1 because it has a diode in it to reduce voltage from 1.55 to 1.35. MANY folks have used the modern silver oxide batteries in their Accutrons for years without any problems. In some cases, the movement may have to be regulated (timed) for the new, higher voltage but that's all. If you do buy the expensive Accucell-1, know that it won't last as long as the 387s because there is a smaller battery in the module - maybe 9 months instead of a year. I believe you could leave the Seiko battery in your watch, keeping the new 387s until next year.Hope this helps.

BTW, we require pictures!! Just kidding about the "requirement" but we do like to see other folks Accutrons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accutron Battery

Thank you for your prompt repsonse, you advice is greatly appreciated and yes I will post som pics in the near future. I have been a collector for about 18 years (mainly pocket watches). My collection has no particular focus. However, I strayed into the area of wrist watches a couple of years ago and have recently fallen in love with some Bulova's. once again thank you very much.

Suds

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.