WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
@Spaceview M2 what is your opinion of "white" dials? I also noticed the description redux shared and is in the reference sticky. I believe its a typo since it was only silver or black dials. I have observed some dials that look white, but they are redials in my opinion. Most silver dials with patina age bronze, so the bright white is highly suspect.

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
I wish I could definitively answer your question, but I have learned a few things about collecting Accutrons.

1. There are still many unanswered questions pertaining to a great variety of Accutrons.

2. 90% of people that collect Accutrons generally don't have enough literature or knowledge that lead them to known collecting original pieces. Most collectors cobble together parts and makeup accutrons that are either way off what was actually produced by Bulova or close enough to call it correct, even though they are not. (Not an argument worth pursuing). Some people just like piecing together parts to make a nice-looking watch. Nothing wrong with that but not my interest.

3. Europe seems to have some accutron anomalies that are very hard to confirm and detail since there is very little literature on them.

4. People hate to hear that their watch is a collection of incorrect parts even though they don't think that is the case. You don't make many friends when you tell them it's a fake or a poor attempt to make a known model. I ran into that (A LOT) when I belonged to that Facebook group for a very short time. If you tell a person his watch is a total fake with aftermarket cheap parts advertised as original and never actually existed, they don't like to hear they just spent $500+ on a fake. It's a story that repeats day after day.

5. So having said that, I am staying out of the (right or wrong or maybe redial or maybe not). I am certainly not the expert to dump my opinions on many watch models. I do help a few people that still seek out correct literature that confirms certain Accutrons that are verifiable but other than that, I find my opinions on other stuff mostly unwanted and not helpful for 90% of collectors. (y)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you to @Spaceview M2 for your work and research.

I have had fun collecting accutrons, so the reference posts were great to assemble or purchase original astronaut watches. I do agree that it is a small niche of people who care about advertisement and factory correct watches with accutrons. If astronauts traded like speedmaster prices, then the nuansces would be appreciated more. I think the hobby becomes addictive once you dive into the research so you know when to pounce on the rare and unusual. As far as outliers and redials, I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder when a watch is under $1000.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I guess it only matters if you really care what ‘Correct’ is. For under the $500 mark, you’re into the land of the strange. If you’re over $500, it’s probably time for some research, and querying some experts, or at least experience. This forum is invaluable for that type of information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love the white dial. :love: I have asked this before, but when I see those white dial Astronauts, are they re-dials? They have a milky finish like an enamel or almost like porcelain. They look different than a Swiss Astro Type 4 blond/white dial and look different than the silver dial. Or was that a factory finish? I love the look and that is really the only other Accutron 214 style that I would ever consider adding to my Astro collection (except for maybe a black Swiss T4 to keep my Swiss blonde company. I am a sucker for white dial watches. I bought the one that Piker had on his website and sent it back because it had a terrible crack in the finish on the dial and after waiting 2 months for an alleged repair, I asked for a refund and he gave me my money back (for the dial problem and the fact that it would not run sometimes - despite his claims of selling only the best serviced watches). To his credit, he did refund the total amount.
At first I thought they might be redials. Then while I was researching 339 Astros, I found a pic of a white dial one. I couldn't get any more info on the watch, but I've seen several references to white dial Astros. I have to believe they were offered, but little proof to say they were actually made. I've never seen a white dial for sale, and only a couple other white dial watches for sale. At least one of those other ones for sale was clearly a redial apparently. That watch had a chip in the white paint, that showed black paint below it. So, they do seem to be legit, but they are very rare, and not much info exists on them.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

Watch Analog watch Blue Clock Font

As you can see in this ad, item "Q" "21201 Stainless Steel, Astronaut Model with G.M.T. rotatable ring. Also 21203 with white dial" There is a direct reference to them being real, and the pic above would be a 21203 since its a swiss 339 case type 1. I would love to get my hands on a 21203 to go with my pair of 21201s.

Will

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
@BlackbirdM3 that is a good reference to confirm the style numbers exist. Multiple ads would be great to see. These ads are notorious for variations in the verbiage since a lot of them are just jewelry store ads in local papers. I went on quite the hunt a while back and digged up lots of great ads, so keep on searching archives. One ad may say white and another cream. Some dials may have started silver and aged into the champagne style. Some started off white and aged to a cream color. You also have to factor in that Bulova used various dial manufacturers in the USA and Europe, so variations are to be expected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@BlackbirdM3 that is a good reference to confirm the style numbers exist. Multiple ads would be great to see. These ads are notorious for variations in the verbiage since a lot of them are just jewelry store ads in local papers. I went on quite the hunt a while back and digged up lots of great ads, so keep on searching archives. One ad may say white and another cream. Some dials may have started silver and aged into the champagne style. Some started off white and aged to a cream color. You also have to factor in that Bulova used various dial manufacturers in the USA and Europe, so variations are to be expected.
I have a very good example of a white dial aging to cream colored. I have a pair of Swiss RRs. One I'm pretty sure is all original, the other I replaced the dial on with a NOS dial. The NOS dial is a bright white, (came out of a sealed package from Bulova) and is noticeably brighter than the one I'm pretty sure is all original.
Will

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have seen enough pics PLUS the one I bought from Piker (and then returned) to believe that a white dial Astro must have been a factory offering. They all have that same sort of color and "look" of a RR 214 so Bulova had the technique and knew how to do it. I love the look as I am a sucker for most white dial watches.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I have seen enough pics PLUS the one I bought from Piker (and then returned) to believe that a white dial Astro must have been a factory offering. They all have that same sort of color and "look" of a RR 214 so Bulova had the technique and knew how to do it. I love the look as I am a sucker for most white dial watches.
The white dial RRs I've found to age pretty well, super durable. Are the white dial Astros similar paint?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts