WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I havent seen the gold variant of the Astronaut that often, same as the day/night bezel variant. Mine is the more normal black dial one, like Spaceview M2 - regardless, mine sees a lot of wrist time

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, I had forgotten that I have three more astronauts, a stainless steel, 14k gold bezel and a stainless with a 10k gold filled bezel in the repair stage. The 14k bezel was polished in a way that it damaged it….! Are the 10k gold filled bezels rare?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Measuring instrument

My two complete and working Astros. The one with the white dial is a '69 US watch, the black dial is a '65 Swiss 339 no prefix watch (US movement). I have another 339 that I'm building from pieces. I found the case, and GMT ring, then found a swiss 214HN movement with the gloss black 339 dial. I'm almost done restoring the case, but the movement needs a coil and a dial in better shape. (Gloss black swiss dials are hard to come by.)

Will

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 226859
My two complete and working Astros. The one with the white dial is a '69 US watch, the black dial is a '65 Swiss 339 no prefix watch (US movement). I have another 339 that I'm building from pieces. I found the case, and GMT ring, then found a swiss 214HN movement with the gloss black 339 dial. I'm almost done restoring the case, but the movement needs a coil and a dial in better shape. (Gloss black swiss dials are hard to come by.)

Will
Nice Astros, best of luck with your restoration, mine I have everything I need but lately there’s a lot of grandkids running around my house and I need my space when it comes a watch project.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks. I have all the pieces aside from a really good dial. The real bummer is that someone decided to grind the serial number out of the back of the watch. No date or number is visible, just a big low spot where they took a Dremel or other type of grinder to the back. Still, I'm looking forward to getting it done so I can wear it. The one in the pic above is near perfect now. I only wear it for special occasions. The project will not be a mostly original correct watch so I'm fine wearing more often. Heck, I even found a new 339 crystal for it. I guess I should look for another set of hands for it. The ones I have are a little corroded and the lume is missing in places.

I've also got most of the parts to build another US Astro, I just need a case. I think I've got 3 US 214HN movements sitting here.

·
Registered
259 Posts
View attachment 226859

Will
Love the white dial. :love: I have asked this before, but when I see those white dial Astronauts, are they re-dials? They have a milky finish like an enamel or almost like porcelain. They look different than a Swiss Astro Type 4 blond/white dial and look different than the silver dial. Or was that a factory finish? I love the look and that is really the only other Accutron 214 style that I would ever consider adding to my Astro collection (except for maybe a black Swiss T4 to keep my Swiss blonde company. I am a sucker for white dial watches. I bought the one that Piker had on his website and sent it back because it had a terrible crack in the finish on the dial and after waiting 2 months for an alleged repair, I asked for a refund and he gave me my money back (for the dial problem and the fact that it would not run sometimes - despite his claims of selling only the best serviced watches). To his credit, he did refund the total amount.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes.... I know...but that dial (ie in the pic above) is more like a silver (ie like the one you posted 29 days ago). I am talking about something that is white but it looks more like enamel. But maybe it is just a trick of the camera. Hope that makes sense....

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Guess I'll join the party. Here's my '64. Came with box and papers from someone who barely wore it. Full service, replaced the crystal, and repainted the bezel. Was pretty happy with the outcome.

I have a couple of VERY interesting Astros that I've been meaning to start a thread on for several years...plan to do that soon after a little prep work.
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Clock

·
Premium Member
5,527 Posts
I owned 13 Astro's and 16 Bullet bands at the height of my Astro 'obsession' but really lost interest in them after some years of Astro crazy times with some collectors.:cautious: So I am down to 7 Astros now and haven't purchased or had any interest in any more than that. But that did open a door and I shifted my interest to some very early (1960-1963) Accutrons (mostly gold) I still find much more enjoyable to own. And thanks to Rob, all of them have been restored to near-correct appearing Accutron examples.

Watch Analog watch Light Product Clock

Current Non-Astro, non-Spaceview B/C collection mostly in solid gold and all but one dated between 1960/1961.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Plant

1 - 20 of 29 Posts