WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have seen that advertisement before and had never noticed that, very observant of you.
They sure made it tough for us to figure out what is/was authentic.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Railroad style hands or spade hands are not on the list of Astronaut variants. I have my doubts that an Accutron Astronaut with the hands depicted in the 1962 X-15 ad was ever produced for sale to the public. By 1963, Bulova ads depicted a more common "Standard" Astronaut. However, Accutron aircraft timers and one Accutron 24 hour timer on the Gemini Spacecraft did have that hand configuration.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
OLIVERB " you've seen what they go through over on mybulova.com."

I look around over there once in a while and even post a comment on occasion but they aren't nearly as Accutron oriented there as we are here. It appears to me that most of what they know about Accutrons has been taught by you.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I look around over there once in a while and even post a comment on occasion but they aren't nearly as Accutron oriented there as we are here. It appears to me that most of what they know about Accutrons has been taught by you.
Thanks, Skypilot but I don't think I deserve that much credit. Now, if Sam2 went there and and gave them a few pointers, they would be educated! I do appreciate what they are trying to do and it seems more possible with older Bulova mechanical watches, then with Accutrons. Right now they are involved in a serious discussion on how to identify Acuutrons. Sometimes the same criteria as applied to older mechanical watches works with Accutrons, sometimes it doesn't. I'm glad we don't get as particular here!

BTW, they were having a similar problem, with a different restorer, as reported here. Took 18 months to return the watches to the owner. Not good!

·
Banned
645 Posts
Yes, the guy got his watches back in the same envelope he sent them out in, and it was un-opened! It just beggars belief, especially when the restorer in question is a panel member over there.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I agree with the not produced comment.

Bulova seems to have done that since.

The Deep Sea never had a meatball second hand. And it looks like variations of this photo appeared in numerous ads. Same second hand in the same place in color and b&w photos.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Oliver,
Mybulova is a great site and it has information not found elsewhere but I still haven't found a way to use the search engine for Accutron watches. Do I need to register?
Sam

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I go there once in a while and have even commented there but I can't say that I really understand the site very well. It appears to me that they have a "panel" that tried to categorize Bulovas watches or possibly build a data base but they don't have a clue how to deal with Accutrons since so many of them don't have model names so they just call them all "unknown." Some of the panel member know absolutely nothing about Accutrons but that doesn't prevent them from commenting.
I'm going to stick with the learned people here in my search for knowledge.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I go there once in a while and have even commented there but I can't say that I really understand the site very well. It appears to me that they have a "panel" that tried to categorize Bulovas watches or possibly build a data base but they don't have a clue how to deal with Accutrons since so many of them don't have model names so they just call them all "unknown." Some of the panel member know absolutely nothing about Accutrons but that doesn't prevent them from commenting.
I'm going to stick with the learned people here in my search for knowledge.
:thumbup:

·
Banned
645 Posts
The database is still undergoing construction in the Accutron part, and we have "followed the ads" in the naming of Accutrons, as this has worked well enough for 1920's onward mechanicals. However, due to the lack of named Accutrons post-1972/3, we are finding it hard to get correct names/model nos.
It's easy to call an Accutron after it's movement number, i.e. "serial" number, but to give it the model number it's advertised with is the correct way, if the hard way.
I personally have been scouring thousands upon thousands of Accutron ads, from 1960 to 1977, and have not once seen them referred to as being a "series" model, but many ads do not even give a movement, just a basic description of the dial/case, and it's hard work winnowing those occasional "gems" from the crap.
I admit I know nothing in comparison to your good selves about Accutrons, but I'm trying my best to learn, and to have my/our efforts so flippantly regarded by you Lyle/Skypilot, is a little discouraging.
Bob.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I'm certainly not trying to flame another forum of enthusiasts who, I'm sure, love Bulovas as much as we do.
I was definitely not talking about you Thumbs, you clearly know a lot about Accutrons, but some of the people there who comment on them clearly know absolutely nothing but they comment anyway. They try to call a 230 a 214 or a 218 when the OP clearly said it had a 230 movement.
I still think it is an exercise in futility to not use the first 3 digits of the movement in the description whether you call it a "series" or just add it onto the name Accutron or wherever you put it but what you do there is your affair and none of my business.
Example, I don't think GM ever referred to a series of Corvettes but enthusiasts find it useful to refer to them as C1 through C6.

·
Banned
645 Posts
We do put the movement info in the thread, at the top of the info box. If they are marked inside, as they usually are, and we can see the inside, we put up the movement, 214, 218 etc. etc.
Sorry for jumping in with both feet Skypilot, I'm a little tender from stuff I've got going on at the moment and should have kept my big gob shut. :^)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
No offense taken. I think the bottom line might be that I really don't completely understand what it is that you folks are trying to do over there.
For many years I traveled as a part of my job and I developed a hobby of buying whatever Accutrons I found in pawn shops, estate sales, flea markets etc. There weren't many and I wasn't as much a collector as an accumulator.
Somewhere along the line I found this forum and started trying to learn more so I can be a little more discriminatory in my buying but I may still be an accumulator since I sometimes buy more than one of something I like.
I'm still in the trying to learn more stage and I think that one of the things I've figured out is that it is rare to find two Accutrons alike and that is why it is so hard to categorize them.

·
Banned
645 Posts
Thanks bud.
We're all still in the learning stage with just about any vintage watch brand, and to find like-minded people is a boon.
I don't think I'll ever get past the "eclectic syndrome" as far as watches are concerned. (A little like ADHD!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.