WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This MKII just arrived from Rob B. I purchased the movement with hands from eBay years ago, I think I paid $130.00 for it. Last August I bought a NOS Astronaut MKII case #7617 with crowns from eBay for $199.00. Rob agreed to marry the two not knowing whether it was going to work. The only problem was the dial was slightly to large in diameter and didn't seat in the case so Rob took care of that. Aside from the movement needing a new coil it went together beautifully I think. Maybe not factory but who cares? BTW, thanks again Rob!

Watch Analog watch White Light Clock
Watch Analog watch Light Azure Clock
Automotive lighting Gadget Finger Jewellery Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watchabit.....

Yes that's what I thought but you never know. I'm not an expert on Accutron case variations and did a trial fit before sending it off to Rob and it seemed like it was going to work. Rob had to reduce the dial diameter by .2mm and it dropped right in. Even he was under the impression that all 218 dial diameters were standard. In any case I sent it to the right person and now I have a very nice MKII in as you said close to NOS. I love the black dials and this one is almost perfect.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Wow, that's pretty incredible. But a MkII mvt and dial should fit any MkII case shouldn't it? That's about as close as you can get to a new NOS MkII Astro. (y)
Well, you would think so but there are some slight variations in dial diameter, only very small, a couple of tenths of a millimeter. Usually movement wells in the case have a a bit of room to move also, but if you get a case that the movement well is a tenth or two small, you can end up with this problem. Nothing to do but skim the dial in the lathe. In fact, I might even suggest that this case ended up as a sales display piece because the inside dimensions were just out of tolerance.

The rest of the case is perfect, spectacular even!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, you would think so but there are some slight variations in dial diameter, only very small, a couple of tenths of a millimeter. Usually movement wells in the case have a a bit of room to move also, but if you get a case that the movement well is a tenth or two small, you can end up with this problem. Nothing to do but skim the dial in the lathe. In fact, I might even suggest that this case ended up as a sales display piece because the inside dimensions were just out of tolerance.

The rest of the case is perfect, spectacular even!
So that’s how they chose display modelsWhere does the year code place it in the run? Would it have been shipped without a movement if it were a display piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts
So that’s how they chose display modelsWhere does the year code place it in the run? Would it have been shipped without a movement if it were a display piece?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not sure if that's how they chose display models, it was a suggestion to explain why the inside of the movement well might have been a tad undersize. I don't think it had a date code, just a 6 digit serial number. You may have to check with srgray to confirm. However, it was shipped without a movement, just a plastic disk to emulate a movement and to support the dial and hands.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This MKII just arrived from Rob B. I purchased the movement with hands from eBay years ago, I think I paid $130.00 for it. Last August I bought a NOS Astronaut MKII case #7617 with crowns from eBay for $199.00. Rob agreed to marry the two not knowing whether it was going to work. The only problem was the dial was slightly to large in diameter and didn't seat in the case so Rob took care of that. Aside from the movement needing a new coil it went together beautifully I think. Maybe not factory but who cares? BTW, thanks again Rob!

View attachment 227560 View attachment 227561 View attachment 227562
Watchabit.....

Yes that's what I thought but you never know. I'm not an expert on Accutron case variations and did a trial fit before sending it off to Rob and it seemed like it was going to work. Rob had to reduce the dial diameter by .2mm and it dropped right in. Even he was under the impression that all 218 dial diameters were standard. In any case I sent it to the right person and now I have a very nice MKII in as you said close to NOS. I love the black dials and this one is almost perfect.
That is lovely, and well done Rob. One doesn't see many of these, so I thought you might like to see mine, which was bought new in the seventies. Rob serviced it, so thanks again to Rob. I used this for its two time zone function when I was an overseas airline pilot.

Watch Brown Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

1 - 11 of 11 Posts